Are composite planes stronger than metal? | FerrariChat

Are composite planes stronger than metal?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I've read a lot of articles where a metal plane is torn to shreds in flight. I don't recall a composite plane mid air break up report. There must be some, anything can be broken, but seems to happen with aluminum. Past few years the 210, Bo, TBM,Pilatus and even a Citation. I cannot imagine the horror when things go that badly.

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Was googling and came up with this-one a funny comment

Like a crotchy CFI once said, "With a cheap plane you can afford an expensive coffin."

and this about the DA40

Either of the DA40's wing spars can carry the full load of the wings, thus leading to the FAA certifying the composite airframe with no life limit. Composite materials are not subject to metal fatigue and therefore a mid-air break-up seems virtually impossible.

Suppose that, like the unfortunate pilots of a DA20 involved in NTSB accident ATL98LA006, you find yourself misunderstanding ATC and wandering into the wake of a MD-80 jet, resulting in being flipped over then smashed down onto the pavement from 200' AGL? You too may walk out of the hospital a few days later thanks to the DA40's massively overbuilt cockpit.

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Mid air breakup is extremely low on the list of things that will kill you in an airplane.

Composite airplanes haven't been around very long in the grand scheme of things. I'm not sure enough data has been collected. I don't think comparing a nice new DA40 to a 50 year old Mooney to Cessna is a fair comparison. 737's are made of metal too.

That Pilatus mid air breakup crash wasn't caused by "mid air breakup". It was caused by the pilot flying into a massive T storm. I'm friends with the Insurance Adjuster. That storm would have pulled any plane apart.

4. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Had not heard of the Pilatus break up. My understanding is the plane built like a tank. Had the fortune of flying in one several years ago, and while not a pilot, was amazed.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

If it's this pretty well-known event, it was not the T-storm that broke up the plane.
    Pilot error due partly to inexperience.

Pilatus PC-12 Crash: NTSB Points to Surprising Cause | Flying Magazine

6. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    You'd be just a dead in a composite airplane as you will in an aluminum one..

Composite airplanes primary structure are indeed robust since the FAA and the designers have a hard time trying to make sure that fatigue life and structural margins are met. For that reason they tend to be overbuilt. The cockpit side structure is probably a bit stronger, but face it, it's still not very strong and if you crash you're not likely going to survive. Also, high impact forces will pass through the stiff and strong wing structure and unless you have impact absorbing seats you'd be just as dead as in something that folded up.

The structural limits for aircraft aren't that high compared to the 80 or so g's you get in a fatal accident. If the wing structure is good for 10 g's that would be robust, but compared to the 80+ g's you get in a bad accident even the strong composites will be smashed.

Race drivers survive some horrific crashes when belted into full cage structures and in strong tubs, but in order to survive they are belted in with a full six point harness and have HANS devices and helmets, none of which are going to be found in the typical private airplane. Moreover, most racing crashes are glancing blows into barriers or walls and aren't generally full frontal impacts. Add to that the nature of the frame forward of the driver to absorb the impact over a distance and you have a chance of success. In an airplane the engine is ahead of you and that's pretty much it, and it's supported by a small diameter tube space frame. Good enough to hold up the engine but nothing that will absorb any impact energy.

NASA looked into crashworthiness of light aircraft years ago and found that there wasn't a lot they could do without severely impacting payload. Since that time the laws of physics haven't changed. If you crash a light plane in a bad way the odds of survival are near zero.

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    uh, not so fast

first off, composite structures are subject to fatigue, just not metal fatigue.;) Fatigue in composite structures does occur, but in ways that is different than metal. This has both positive and negative aspects. Too much to give any detail, just suffice to say it does occur.

second,
    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/fbe0c07ed12f99b986257d1e004a78a1/$FILE/2014-13-08.pdf

8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Since I follow Kathryn's Report, I remember this horrible horrible story. Kid thrown from plane found a few miles away, whole family perished with family dog. Something about auto pilot disengaging starting the accident sequence. Seems I remember someone on here either knew the family or had looked at the plane.

Kathryn's Report: Pilatus PC-12/47, Roadside Ventures LLC, N950KA: Fatal accident occurred June 07, 2012 in Lake Wales, Florida

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    All good points, dead is dead and no one survives 80 gs in a plane. But I was wondering about inflight break ups, like wings coming off etc. I just don't remember a Cirrus, Diamond, or Columbia/Cessna 400 losing a wing or breaking up.

For instance, for a long time, my pilot did not like Diamonds due to the small tail boom. Must be quite strong however. I've read about metal planes breaking up so bad they throw out the occupants, like the Bo that just broke up over Long Island(?) a few months back. Of course the key is not to get yourself in that situation.

11. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Every airplane has a max structural G limit. Exceed it and the wings come off. The structural limit for some composite airframes are high because the FAA doesn't really know how to insure that they can meet the design limit load in the future after a period of degradation. So the reality may be that the limit is 10G's for a new airframe and it may actually go down with time but that isn't much of concern since there is some structural margin designed in.

For a composite airframe that has say a 10 G capability, if you aren't going fast enough to generate 10G before stalling then the wings won't come off, the airplane will stall. That's the definition of maneuvering speed. That is the speed above which the aircraft will suffer damage before it stalls. Inflight structural failures don't happen above maneuvering speed (at least they're not supposed to) for just that reason.

So if you have a stronger airframe you can go faster before you damage it and you can have a higher maneuvering speed, but if you exceed the maneuvering speed and encounter heavy turbulence or crank too hard on the controls the wings can come off. No magic here.

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Well, except for the thunderstorm part.

You said: "That Pilatus mid air breakup crash wasn't caused by "mid air breakup". It was caused by the pilot flying into a massive T storm.
    I'm friends with the Insurance Adjuster. That storm would have pulled any plane apart.""

But the storm didn't 'pull that plane apart', the pilot did, the plane was 'some distance away' from the t-storm in every report I've seen.

13. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    below?

14. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The crash wasn't caused by "mid air break-up". The pilot F'd up long before the plane came apart. If I recall the plane was inverted and in a spin as it fell to earth. Horrible horrible situation....... but the pilot put it into a stall. Pilot error.

15. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Yes, my mistake, BELOW maneuvering speed...

16. MARKW1992

MARKW1992 Rookie

Nov 24, 2015
    Can only agree with you to a certain extent. Maneuvering speed only covers you if one flight control is moved in one direction in calm air. If you're encountering turbulence, all bets are off.

17. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Going further, the FAR's only state that you must be good for the +man load factor at Va. Depending on the aircraft you may or may not hit wing stall or control surface limits prior to that. Further it is a static g value, and all bets are off in turbulence (e.g. a dynamic environment) outside the prescribed limits for that aircraft (weight).

18. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The criteria for certification for maneuvering speed is also includes a 50 feet per second turbulence. Moderate turbulence is categorized as between 25 and 35 ft pe second. 35 to 50 ft per second is severe and above 50 ft per second is considered extreme. Think about that for a minute. 50 fit per second is an upward gust of 3000 ft per minute.

So while adhering to maneuvering speed as placarded won't make you bulletproof, it would handle most any realistic turbulence that you'd likely encounter. If it gets really rough and things start banging around the cabin, then slow down another 10 knots and you should be safe.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #19 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Here's a classic story of a plane breaking up, but somehow some survived.

Kathryn's Report: Piper aircraft break up in midair, a dozen lawsuits assert

Renick, a single mother, had never flown before. She and her daughter had traveled to Boston to discuss surgery for Desiree to correct her cleft palate. They were on a so-called angel flight, in which private pilots fly needy patients to distant medical appointments for free.

For a time, the trip was uneventful, but 90 minutes into the flight, three violent bumps shattered the reverie, Renick later recalled. Suddenly, the plane was coming apart at 10,000 feet and wind was roaring through the passenger compartment. Renick reached desperately for Desiree while fighting against her seat belt, which had wound around her neck and begun to strangle her.

“I kept struggling and struggling,” Renick said. “I knew I was going to die.”

But Renick and pilot Rolf Mielzarek survived when part of the plane’s passenger compartment, left wing, and engine landed in a tree, leaving Renick suspended high above the ground.

later in the article

Piper maintains that there is no merit to Wolk’s allegations and that its aircraft are safe. The National Transportation Safety Board has filed reports on more than 200 midair breakups of Piper Cherokee, Saratoga, and Seneca aircraft since the 1970s, and in the vast majority of cases found that pilot error was the cause.

One common scenario, according to the NTSB: The pilot flew into or near bad weather, causing the aircraft to break apart.
    Her daughter and friend weren’t so lucky; both died from injuries sustained in the crash. Wreckage was strewn over an area two miles long and a half-mile wide. Afterward, the National Transportation Safety Board found that the plane's front nose assembly broke apart midflight, causing the crash in Lehman Township in the Poconos on Nov. 6, 1996.

and later

In-flight breakups, though rare, are typically catastrophic and only a few, such as Renick and Mielzarek, have survived. Another survivor was test pilot Sherman Hall, who gives a harrowing account of the breakup of his stabilator-equipped Seneca on Dec. 27, 1976, which he survived because he was equipped with a parachute.

Hall says that during the test flight to probe for flutter tolerances, he took the plane to 25,000 feet, high above the Cascade Mountain range in Washington state, pulsing the controls periodically to gauge the aircraft performance. The aircraft was in trim, meaning that its pitch and bank were well under control by the pilot, and all was functioning normally.

Suddenly, he said, “it was like an explosion.”

The nose of the plane pitched downward, both wings sheared off, part of the tail section and rear door were gone, and the windshields had blown out. As the plane plummeted toward earth, gravity pinned Hall to the ceiling of the cabin, or what was left of it, and the violent shaking tore off his helmet. Cold air, minus-40 degrees Fahrenheit, blew into the cockpit.

Then, as suddenly as it had begun, the violent shaking stopped. Hall unbuckled his seat belt, slipped through the cockpit door, and began falling at about 20,000 feet as he pulled the cord on his parachute.

“I opened my chute immediately, which could have been fatal,” he wrote. “As my chute opened, an engine with a section of wing came by from above. I can still see that engine clearly in my mind. The prop was feathered and the engine was running.”

As Hall floated high above the Cascades’ snowcapped peaks, he felt “awed by the destructive disintegration of that aircraft and my survival. There were small, light pieces of aluminum, fabric, and insulation floating down all around me. In any direction, I looked, it was like confetti.”

Hall was soon on the ground. With his parachute rolled up under his arm, he stuck out his thumb and hitchhiked home.

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan