Diamond Gets Serious! | FerrariChat

Diamond Gets Serious!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by joker57676, Apr 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/april/13/diamond-goes-big

Diamond Launches Three High-Performance Singles | Flying Magazine

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeYMAXV8-u4[/ame]

It's about time. Diamond has really needed a larger, more capable answer to the SR22 and to a lesser degree, the TTx. If you can ignore the horrific paint scheme, I think it's a great looking airplane, with great power plant options (assuming the diesels don't **** the bed again).

I know so many companies are guilty of showing great designs but completely failing to execute, but with this series of planes looking to be heavily based on the DA-62 airframe, it should be relatively easy to plug and play new different power plants up front once the design is finalized.

Mark

2. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Looking forward to it. Would love to see performance numbers for the 360hp diesel. I'm thinking over 200kts at 10gph.

While we're on the subject of Diamonds. What is the latest with the DA-62? Haven't heard much.

3. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    They're selling pretty rapidly. It looks like a really great option for a family of 4-5 if you want to spend $1million.

Mark

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Looks like an awesome plane..... as long as it works/doesn't break a lot. I wouldn't touch it until it had been out a couple years. Diamonds reputation in the US isn't great.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what do you mean to lesser degree the TTx? not the plane's fault Cessna sucks. the plane is great because it was a Columbia, much better than the Cirrus was. Cirrus actually had to start copying things about the Columbia to keep pace. Remember when the early Cirrus planes were having slow spin crashes? They fixed it by copying the great wing design on the Columbia. Even over 10 years later which one looks better and has best ramp presence? which one is faster? what does Cirrus have besides a great company and marketing behind it? a wife-chute?

it is a shrinking market, but there are many new and redo (Diamond/Mooney) players trying to enter it.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Is that due to mostly the Thielert engine?

7. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Calm down there killer. :) I am a huge fan of the Columbia 400/Cessna TTx. I think it's the best single on the market. I was more referring to market share. Based on market share, Cirrus is the biggest competitor; the Cessna is a much smaller player in terms of total sales. Diamond needs to cut into the Cirrus market if the line of DA50s is to be a success.

Mark

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, you got that right and FYI I just think 400 was a better plane than Cirrus until about 2009/10.

9. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yes.

Who is making the new diesel in the DA50? Regardless, it's new and not really tested.

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hey Rob, what generation did Cirrus do that? We are looking, parachute seems to make Julie my pilot happy. I assume you sold your 400?

I agree, the 400 would be my choice.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    i think that if Diamond can deliver, it will be a game changer. That said who is their color coordinator?

12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
  13. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Same guy who disigns the Toro Rossos.

Mark

14. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's very cool and people have been trying to do it for decades. Getting off of 100LL is a game changer..... so why isn't every manufacturer buying engines from these guys?

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very early ones, not sure what years/models. That's why they are the wife-chute. :). Marketing #1. :)