C919 - China's First Large Passenger Jet Takes Flight | FerrariChat

C919 - China's First Large Passenger Jet Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Flash G, May 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #1 Flash G, May 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For the "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going," crowd. Would you fly a Chinese-made (with western components) passenger jet?

China's first large jetliner has taken off on its maiden flight, a key moment in the country's push to challenge the U.S. and Europe as a global manufacturer.

The C919, China's first domestically designed and built large airliner, took off from Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 2:01 p.m. local time with a five-person crew aboard.

With the prototype airborne, China joins the ranks of the few nations that have developed homegrown large airliners: the U.S., Russia, Brazil, Canada, the U.K., France and Germany.

Made by the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (Comac), the 168-seat C919 is roughly the same size as Airbus's A320 and Boeing's 737-800, which are the most popular airliners in the world.

The Chinese jet's first flight is the biggest and most visible milestone in its development. But it still has a long way to go before it's carrying passengers and competing with its U.S. and European competitors.

The start of aerial testing kicks off months or years of grueling certification tests, and meeting safety standards might require design changes. Comac will also need to win the trust of airlines in China and elsewhere by proving the jet can operate efficiently and reliably on scheduled flights.

However, the milestone marks another key achievement for China on its ascent to challenging the west and cultivating its aerospace ambitions. The country is already an adept designer of military aircraft, but has sought to catch up to Boeing in the U.S. and Airbus in Europe in manufacturing civilian airliners.

The C919 prototype was unveiled in November 2015.

So far it's been slow-going. The country's state-owned airlines first signed up to buy the jet in 2010, and it was originally supposed to enter service in 2016. The prototype wasn't unveiled until November 2015, and the project has been beset by technical delays as China learns the ropes of airliner development.

Comac, a state-run enterprise, has partnered with western suppliers for nearly all the jet's major systems to share technology and learn how to mass produce an airliner.

The C919's main customers will be China's domestic airlines. China Eastern Airlines will be the first carrier to operate the C919 when it completes testing and secures approval from China's aviation regulator.

China is on track to surpass the U.S. by 2030 as the world's largest commercial aviation market. Chinese airlines are buying hundreds of Boeing and Airbus jets to grow their fleets.

Boeing estimates that the country will need a trillion dollars worth of new airplanes over the next two decades, including more than 5,100 of the same size as the C919.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Airbus recently broke a record selling 250 A320s to China that are finished in factories in China. Boeing broke that record by selling 300 737s, but also threw in the towel and will build a factory in China to finish 737s. Loss of Import/Export Bank financing had an impact on that decision. Those two are the main competitors for the C919.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I'd rather walk.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Here is how it works in China.

At first the government will make damn sure everything goes well as they dont want egg on their face.

Eventually, once enough successful flights happen and the world stops voicing concern, the government will stop paying close attention and the cost cutting will begin.

Thats when the potential for disaster occurs.

It'll take a decade or so before anyone will need to start worrying.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honestly, you can't blame the Chinese at all. For sure they will need a lot of planes in the next 20 years. They might as well build them themselves.

I don't see them challenging Boeing or Airbus outside of Asia.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thirty years ago Boeing had some Chinese engineers at Everett learning how to design airplanes. I met several of them and even had one of them to our house for dinner. I have never had full understanding of the purpose of exposing and handing out core values of our design/ build processes that kept us ahead of the game. The Japanese have been here for 40 years inhaling everything they can find. I'm not a politician or a strategic marketeer so I guess they know what they are doing...I hope.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

The reason is quite clear: Do it or they take their business elsewhere. Money talks.

I still don't believe the Chinese are anymore a threat to the airplane building business as they are the car business. They sell a lot of Chinese cars in China and not anywhere else. The Russians had great aerospace technology and knowledge but could never sell passenger planes outside the Soviet Union.

Ford and GM build a ton of cars in China for the Chinese market. I see Boeing and Airbus doing the same but still making money from the Chinese market.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The only reason this was done is to reduce the amount of money they send to other countries by buying non-chinese made. Airbus and Boeing will have less sales in China for sure, but I doubt by a lot. The rest of the world market...not a chance. Airbus and Boeing all the way. That's like thinking Tupolev was a threat when it made commercial jetliners.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Different cultures have different outlooks on things. For the most part western culture wants to have some pride in their work product. Not a hard and fast rule but in a general sense it is true. There is no limit to which the Chinese will go to cut costs.....none. They are capable of making a pretty good product, but they have no limit to which they will not go in the other direction. NONE. And they have proven time and again that human cost is of no consequence.

Sorry, can't go there. Have no use for them.

Had friends as POW's in Japan. Have no use for them either.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Any evidence that this plane is a knock-off of a Boeing or Abus plane?

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Do you think there is any chance it is not?

12. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Looks just like a baby 787 lol...

13. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I doubt we'll hear about any incidents/accidents while it's in testing either.

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I 'believe' fuel, is the biggest expense for an airline. China will eventually offer an aircraft for export, which should sell for approximately 40% less than the competition.

It will not be as fuel efficient and have all of the latest avionics and features.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

This plane has CFM-LEAP engines, which are fairly fuel-efficient.

There are orders for almost 100 planes... GE Capital (USA) is the only non-Chinese entity on the list.

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    yep, for all intent and purposes they are building Boeings.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Works for stealth aircraft, why not airliners?

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The Russian airliners were held back by inefficient Russian engines poor Russian avionics and a design philosophy which required annual overhauls as opposed to time replacing parts. They never had a remotely competitive product.

The Chinese planes have the latest western engines and avionics and are built to operate as ours do. One inetresting point is a large componant of a plane is systems, ie emgines electronics and other bits, to the extent these come from the west there is a large western componanat. The Chinese are building an airframe. To really make inroads in the west they will also need product support.

However, Airbus was nobody in the 70s. They bet on fuel efficient big fan twin engine aircraft when boeing was still all about the 727 and 747. So give the chinese 30 years and they can potential be a serious competitor in the airframe buisness. Theyll need great saftey record, an ability to support product, an ability to make a standout product, and one that is fuel burn competitive for a competitive price or financing. Would you have thought 20 years ago the brazillians would be making great jetliners?

Who knows the Chinese could even decide to buy the bombardier Cs program.

It will take time, the 919 is the opening gambit. Yes there are cultural issues, however unilke cars aircraft are sold more on function, reliability, saftey, product support and economy rather than brand. I wouldn't count them out at all. The Chinese think in 100-1000 year timeframes. I dont think they are too bothered if it takes them 20-50 years to get there. More likley economic or political upheaval in china will delay or stop this.

As to why Boeing and Airbus are teaching them how to make planes. Well they want to sell planes now, and thats the price. I remember MD assembling planes there in the late 80's, built the plant, showed them how to do it. Boeing started making landing gear doors and other componants there around the same time. Its starts small and keeps growing.

In fact in the late 70s the chinese built two 707 knockoffs just to see, these planes still used the 707 engines.

I would really worry one day when the Chinese start building competitive turbofans and avionics.

Ill end on a positive note. We are all about innovation, witness the geared turbofans. If and when the time comes maybe we'll see some new aircraft shapes from boeing which will be the next leap forwards. Although with a company housed in Chicago now run by MBA's dont hold your breath.

19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm not flying, driving, or boating on anything Chinese

20. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston