Spit Crash | FerrariChat

Spit Crash

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by spicedriver, Jun 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Looks like he drove the prop into the ground. Frame by frame you'll see much of the prop fly away and disintegrate into the ground.. by then his flaps and rudder aren't doing too much good...

SV

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Pilot error. He has a healthy dose of down elevator and once the nose started to dive he tried to correct with full up elevator.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I think you're right. Looks like he had the tail way up for some reason. Should have been much lower like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fXmkSVhs

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    These airplanes operated from grass strips for at least 6 years during the war and I do not know of anything like this ever happening. They always had up elevator from the start of the take off roll and lifted off gradually from the strip. I think that this guy screwed up.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I presume he got out okay (with the help of the spectators). As badly pranged as the airplane looks (one wing now has too much dihedral!) it will probably be rebuilt.

7. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Can anybody tell me if insurance would cover this? I hope it's not a stupid question...I imagine the value of a spit makes it worth rebuilding.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Depends on the policy.

Mark

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The airplane is Spitfire PR XIX, ex serial PS 890 originally in the RAF.
    Sold to the Royal Thai Air Force very soon after its entry in service in 1945.
    Was restored at Planes of Fame, Chino, California in 2002, registered N219AM.
    Sold to Christophe Jacquard in France in 2005, registered F-AZJS.
    Accidented this Sunday, June 11th at Villette-Longuyon, in the North-Eats of France.
    Pilot was Cédric Ruet, unharmed.

Rgds

10. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    jeez was this his first time in the plane?
    Flew the prop right into the dirt.
    Glad he apparently got out ok.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, it wasn't his first flight on the aeroplane, even if the accident looks quite puzzling. Capitaine Cédric Ruet is an experienced Armée de l'Air pilot, but he also has flight time on several warbirds, including the Hawker Sea Fury.

He has approximatively 6.000 hours military time, including 2.000 on the "Rafale", of which he was solo display pilot in 2010 and 2011. Also 18 combat missions.

Rgds

12. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It deceptively looks like something happened under the right wheel; but, that is actually debris from the prop strike. Also, both wheels were still on the airplane after it flipped.

It does appear to show he tries to pull the nose up (rear elevator position), but probably too late.

Regardless, glad pilot is OK and hope they can restore the plane soon.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    After looking at it bit by bit slow, it looks like he got the tail up pretty fast and the airplane responded to the drag on the right wheel and he didn't have enough airflow over the tail to counter it. He had full left rudder and full up elevator to no avail and perhaps should have pulled the power back sooner. Just an amateur's impressions.

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No doubt it will be rebuilt. I think the pilot regrets his actions, as it looks like pilot error.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I just looked at another video of the Spitfire incident and I have to change my earlier assessment of the cause. From the wider angle view it appears that the pilot simply got the tail up too high and the prop hit the ground first and tripped the airplane.

16. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Your assessment in post #5 was spot on. These planes have big engines and big props ..... for going fast .... once away and with the gear retracted. Never have I seen them perform a tail high TO or landing. Its always a fly off or land from either a 3-pt or a tail low wheel attitude. The video is a graphic display of why.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Can't for the life of me figure out what this dude's rush was to get the tail up. Did it all with power. I'm pretty sure there is a warning in the Spit manual that states at what minimum airspeed full elevator effectiveness occurs. Just as with rudder authority, any early tail liftoff is frought with potential problems. A complete pooch!

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Maybe something to do with where the crowd was located, a Tail up shot for them to film.

20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    prop strikes ground at 3:28
    He doesn't appear to have pulled back on the stick until after the first strike.

If you didn't know, by clicking on the little gear in the lower right side you can slow down the youtube video to 0.25 speed minimum.

VERY lucky that nobody in the crowd (apparently) was hit by shrapnel.

Watching other videos of spitfires taking off the tails do leave the ground pretty early in the roll, but never more than a couple feet until the main gear are airborne.
    Not this time...

21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    There's nothing wrong with flying the tail off the ground after elevator and rudder authority are established based on airspeed. This guy flew the tail off with power over the elevator and when the prop started kissing the dirt, the nose started pulling left from the prop walking it that way. The nose yawing left likely led to the tail blocking some of the left half of the elevator, further reducing the minimal elevator effectiveness at that speed. Just a mess.

22. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    #23 Ryan S., Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Don't these things have monster amounts of torque for their weight? I remember reading something somewhere that its pretty easy to flip up on the roof so to speak on take off if power up is not done exactly right.

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/supermarine-spitfire-134209906/

"Monster torque shoves the right wing down rapidly, very much like the P-40,"

Perhaps just getting on the juice to quick?

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will