Pima Air & Space museum | FerrariChat

Pima Air & Space museum

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Jun 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I was able to stop by this museum today after work-related stuff for only a couple hours before they closed. This place was fantastic! I wish I had more time to see and read about everything and I will definitely come again at some point in the future. The boneyard tour was also a no-go given how late in the day I showed up.

Seeing the A10s and F16s fly overhead was pretty cool, too.

Some pics I took: https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/sets/72157682030252332

Tomorrow I'm going to try to stop by the Pinal Airpark on my drive back up to Phoenix. I saw the tails of various airliners sticking above the horizon coming down to Tucson, but I didn't have time to stop by.

Has anyone been to Pinal over the past couple of years when they became more friendly to the public?

P.S. The A-10s landing with the US flag in the foreground made for cool shots imo. USA! :)

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Nice shots I have not been inside the gates at Pima for nearly 20 years might need to get down to Tucson and check it out again. As for Pinal I would love to explore there as well the last time i went near there the guy with the gun had me doing a quick u-turn :(

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Apparently that guardhouse with the guard is now vacant. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Pinal Airpark: Once-secretive aircraft boneyard slowly opens its gates

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice! I already left but would've checked it out. In Phoenix now.

The guard gate is vacant at Pinal. I went to the pinal airport county office but it was closed (it's right next to the tarmac). I called the cell# posted on the window and the guy was in yesterday but at a conference this week. I was able to take pics of the planes with my zoom lens. Tons of 747s. I'll post pics later tonight if I get the time.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I finally got time to upload the photos. I only took 16 as there wasn't much to take photos off behind the fence. The 744 Supertanker was pretty cool, though...

The 16 pics start here in this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/35167066232/in/album-72157685010541476/

The rest of the stuff is unrelated and was from the long roadtrip yesterday going from Tucson, AZ to St. George, UT. The first photos are from the back road as I drove up from Saguaro National Park West and not I-10.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#7 Tcar, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    TWA 747... that's old, more that 15 years.

That looks like Meteor Crater, AZ, near Flagstaff... yes? That's worth mentioning.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah Meteor Crater. Guy Fieri showed up with a big film crew that you may have noticed in those pics. I didn't expect to run into him or really anyone for that matter in the middle of the desert...

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#9 Tcar, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    "Starman"

Astronauts trained there, also.

I've done all of that road, clear to St. George, but not all the same trip.

Doesn't seem worth the trip... anything there but old airliners?

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I was already in Tucson for work and Pinal was on the way up north so it didn't delay my trip. Based on what I've read, the guy that works at the Pinal county airport likes having visitors and he will take them up to the planes in his truck. I wish he was there when I visited, but oh well.

I wouldn't plan a trip to Tucson only to see those planes. The only place I would ever visit only to see planes is the USAF museum in Dayton, OH.