Air Asia X A330 paint mixer simulation | FerrariChat

Air Asia X A330 paint mixer simulation

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BubblesQuah, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Wow, this went on for 2 hours while they returned to Perth. Described as some engine issue. Why wouldn't they shut down that engine?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCYz_pBFZ4c[/ame]

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  3. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I hadn't considered that the engine was windmilling after shutdown. That's crazy. :eek:

From pprune:

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    "A few years back an EK A330 suffered an engine failure (main fan blade separation during the climb at about 35000 ft) during departure from Lusaka, The crew shut it down, but the vibrations from the windmilling donk were so severe that the Captain told me he couldn't read any instrumentation, and thought that the engine would separate. They had 3 pilots on the sector and the augmenting FO had to do the landing performance calcs on the portable laptop, as the touch screen fixed EFB's were unusable. He said the vibrations only receded to comfortable levels when that slowed down with flap 2. "

This should be added to their shutdown in flight check list. Slow down and fly it with flaps 2 to the nearest airport and land. Not fly it at .80 for another 2 hours till more things rattle off.

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I was going to ask why they didn't slow down, descend, and land ASAP???

Mark

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When conducting ETOPs that may not be an option.

The structure is certified for these loads considering ETOPs. The successful conclusion to this event, an uneventful landing, confirms this, right?;)

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My rationale would have been to land at the first airport after turning around. After looking at the flight path, he flew over the entire west coast of Australia to get back to Perth. I would not overfly a perfectly suitable airport.Sounds like he wanted to get the plane back to base for MX and flew over some perfectly good airports.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My question

Fake Chinese made fan blades?

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Understood. I'm sure corporate/maintenance was telling the pilot to get it back to base. $$ to swap an engine at a remote location, and it was flying along just great with plenty of fuel.;)

11. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
  12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I've wondered about the touch screens as everything is going here, GA included.

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    At 12:00 they discuss the process of making the fan blades. I have a feeling on this blade they had a speck of contamination that caused the failure. Titanium is a pain in the butt to work with and the smallest bit of contamination can end with deadly results.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfomloUg2Gw[/ame]

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember the tests that were being run during the SST program to find out the best way to drill it.After running test after test they finally figured that the best way to drill it was to use a moderate speed with a lot of pressure and cooling lubricant. Tough material to mess with. I have a titanium test leading edge slat rib that was cut with numerical control machine and you can see deviations that you wouldn't see in a steel or aluminum rib.

15. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I tried to machine Titanium a couple of times. The worst part if it is the fact that if you cant keep the part flooded with coolant it builds up and retains so much heat it is crazy. I have heard of even a few shops that had major fires break out because of not enough coolant and the chips getting to hot.

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's wild. I wonder how many components in that plane were prematurely loosened or damaged by the shaking?

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Every single fan blade is worth as much as the average family car....as you watch this video you are amazed at the engineering, what he mind of man can conceive, he can achieve.

Here's the fan blade test segment. Equivalent to a one ton car being dropped off a 200 foot cliff.

https://youtu.be/VfomloUg2Gw?t=2447

18. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #18 Crawler, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    I seem to remember that Peter Revson's fatal crash at Kyalami in '74 was due to Shadow experimenting with titanium in the suspension. Because the components had not been machined properly, they were severely weakened and failed. Reading this post reminded me of that long-ago tragedy.