Jet blast death on Maho Beach | FerrariChat

Jet blast death on Maho Beach

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Jul 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Sad. But its a bucket list item that Ive done many, many times. The Maho and Sunset Beach bar are two of my favorite places.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

4. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Its a (yet to do) bucket list item for me too.. looks like it could literally end up that way if you don't have your wits about you.. hope they don't go all PC and make the area "safe" and heavily sanitised..

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Really no way for them to do that as there is a road right there next to the fence line to allow access to the resort and houses East of the runway.

I have been to Maho several times but never dumb enough to be anywhere near the runway when a plane is landing or taking off.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

6. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Surprised it doesn't happen every week.

Been down there many times and watched from the bar past the runway. Sad but unreal it's been allowed for so long.

RIP

7. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Sad but inevitable. For those of you wishing to experience this all I can say is I have been working on and around jet transports for 35 years and I wouldn't think of doing a dumb stunt like that.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It was a matter of when and not if. Hopefully they don't block off the entire area so people can still take some cool photos...I've always wanted to go for the landings (which are also dangerous imo to stand under).

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I cannot imagine what it would be like to stand behind a 747 with all 4 fire walled for take off. I nearly got knocked on my butt from a F-15 at idle when it turned in front of us at a media day at Nellis AFB

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Simple, you would die.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Did you look at the link in post #3 above? that's only 2 engines, and it flips the Lincoln end over end.

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    There has got to be some mitigating factors with the lady who died. Its not a death trap, hundreds of folk hang onto the fence everyday. There is a road that is open 24/7 behind the fence....dont know if cars have been tipped or not.

Below is a link of my last encounter. Yes...I was laughing like a kid and the T shirt I just bought from the Sunset Beach Bar was ripped from the little plastic bag. But I lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJbd6aRCYow

The road/fence is a good 400 feet behind the runway. Its not like you are standing behind a 747 at 100ft. Its good ol fashioned fun and been going on for decades.

14. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Haha cool..

I see there's now a webcam at the bar there and be neat to line up with FlightRadar24 to see an incoming on the map then know when to switch to live visual for landing..

http://www.mahobeachcam.com

That will do for now until I can get there..

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I watched a video of a girl being injured doing this at the same place, and IMO they need to remove the concrete kerb which is what her head hit and it is that kerb that did the injury.

I don't now what happened in this case, but I have read her head hit concrete. So why not remove the concrete path and kerbs ...
    Pete

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed...but then the Darwin Awards exist for a reason.

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  18. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thanks Juan for the close up of the sign. She knew the score, ran with the bulls and got the horn. Sad, but par for the course.

19. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Yea, if you watch the video she was tossed head first into a concrete barrier. NO idea why those would be there...

20. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    You could just put a Blast Deflector in front of the the fence, on the airport property...

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    That would be one short blast fence as the airport perimeter fence is only 4-5' tall at the runway end. IIRC it use to be 8' tall until a KLM 747 clipped the top of the fence on landing causing the fence to be lowered.