Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > AviatorChat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: David
Tex Johnston demonstrating Boeing's new airplane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA7kPfC5Hk

Last edited by Island Time; 07-16-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jim Pernikoff
The way I look at it, ocean liners go from A to B. Cruise ships go from A to B (and usually C, D, E...) and then back to A. One is transportation, the other just a fun trip. But in their later years, ocean liners did some cruising as well, and the onboard amenities for both would be similar.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:53 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Full Name: Robert Parks
My Garage
Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time View Post
Tex Johnston demonstrating Boeing's new airplane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA7kPfC5Hk
I was there and I have written about it several times how I was standing there with a movie camera shooting him coming in and when he pulled up and started the roll I was so shocked that I dropped the camera to my side and watched the whole thing. A guy standing beside me said that my comment about the airplane doing a roll was incorrect . After the second one going south, I asked him what was that was and there was no answer. I don't know why Tex referred to it as a chandelle because it was nothing like a chandelle, it was an aileron roll, all at one G. I knew one of the flight test engineers who was aboard and he said that if his eyes were closed he would never have known what happened. He said that Tex practiced it at altitude before he did it over the God Cup race course so it wasn't an impulsive event.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parks View Post
I was there and I have written about it several times how I was standing there with a movie camera shooting him coming in and when he pulled up and started the roll I was so shocked that I dropped the camera to my side and watched the whole thing. A guy standing beside me said that my comment about the airplane doing a roll was incorrect . After the second one going south, I asked him what was that was and there was no answer. I don't know why Tex referred to it as a chandelle because it was nothing like a chandelle, it was an aileron roll, all at one G. I knew one of the flight test engineers who was aboard and he said that if his eyes were closed he would never have known what happened. He said that Tex practiced it at altitude before he did it over the God Cup race course so it wasn't an impulsive event.
lol What a great story! How cool! I bet that was quite a jaw dropper! I thought it odd he referred to it as a chandelle as well. Just an aileron roll...but still...

I've got about 1500 hrs in the 135. 6 years in the Tennessee Air Guard....back in the 80's. Nothing like a Boeing. Even that one...
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

My Garage

Quote:
lol What a great story! How cool! I bet that was quite a jaw dropper! I thought it odd he referred to it as a chandelle as well. Just an aileron roll...but still...

I've got about 1500 hrs in the 135. 6 years in the Tennessee Air Guard....back in the 80's. Nothing like a Boeing. Even that one...
Good for you! I'm assuming that you refer to the KC-135. If so, what a great airplane! I had to dig to see if I had a small enough picture of the progenitor. I'll keep digging.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:22 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
He said that Tex practiced it at altitude before he did it over the God Cup race course so it wasn't an impulsive event.
I thought that odd too. I wondered how he knew exactly what that thing would do....(altitude wise)...before he did that so close to the ground.

Now I know. He'd already figured that out. I figured he had to have already done it up high. That's just not something you do in a plane so low without knowing what's coming...
Old 07-16-2017, 08:25 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

My Garage

Quote:
I thought that odd too. I wondered how he knew exactly what that thing would do....(altitude wise)...before he did that so close to the ground.

Now I know. He'd already figured that out. I figured he had to have already done it up high. That's just not something you do in a plane so low without knowing what's coming...
Trying to shrink the image again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -800 367-80.jpg (39.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:59 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
So, Bob, I started this thread and got to thinking... so I pulled out your "Crystal Set..." book and re-read your adventures with the KC and the 707... and 720, etc.

Good read the third time, Bob...

BTW, love the frontpiece... my best friend and I and his Dad restored a Model A Roadster when we were in HS/College. Won a ribbon at the National Model A convention in Albuquerque that summer.
Beautiful homily for your brother.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

I made a list of all the Boeing planes I have flown on

B-17

I don't count the Douglas planes that were adopted in the merger.

Not many have flow a 707 but I did as a kid -- Phoenix to Chicago non stop. My FIRST plane flight -- and the only time I was airsick!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Prettier that what they're building now. nice lines
Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

My Garage
Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
I made a list of all the Boeing planes I have flown on

B-17

I don't count the Douglas planes that were adopted in the merger.

Not many have flow a 707 but I did as a kid -- Phoenix to Chicago non stop. My FIRST plane flight -- and the only time I was airsick!
You have flown on more of them than I have. I have been on all except the 777 and 787. I still think that the 707-120 was the prettiest of all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -800 707-121.jpg (44.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post

Even fewer flown a B-17!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Terry H Phillips
Bob- You missed the 720 on your list and I bet you flew on one. I know I did.

Other Bob- Did you ever get a ride in the 247 they restored?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Bob- You missed the 720 on your list and I bet you flew on one. I know I did.
Its possible but I do remember the 707 from my childhood. The 727 and 737 pretty much phased them out quickly along with the competitor 4 engine models.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Bob- Most folks could not tell a 707 from a 720 at first glance, anyway. Another short fuselage hot rod like the 747 SP. Last one flew back in 2012, so they are all beer cans, now, unless someone stashed one in a museum.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:08 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
... short fuselage hot rod like the 747 SP. Last one flew back in 2012, so they are all beer cans, now, unless someone stashed one in a museum.
There are still some SP's flying... The Sands in 'Vegas flies a couple of them, or at least still did last year.

I think there are still some flying in Saudi Arabia... or were, recently.

They're pretty distinctive... so short and fat with that huge tail, but you're right, most would not notice.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:55 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

My Garage
720B

Quote:
Bob- Most folks could not tell a 707 from a 720 at first glance, anyway. Another short fuselage hot rod like the 747 SP. Last one flew back in 2012, so they are all beer cans, now, unless someone stashed one in a museum.
The 720 was slightly shortened and lightened where the SP was severely shortened forward and aft. Some pilots referred to it as a four engined fighter, fast, maneuverable, and fun to fly. Leaving Heathrow on a UAL SP that was acquired from PAA we were 1 hour late for take off due to heavy incoming traffic. The pilot told the passengers not to worry about making their connections in Seattle Because, "This airplane can and will make up the time and that it would land on schedule (1100)".We did. Great flight both ways.
I flew on a few 720B's but the most fun was aboard one on a production test flight where they wracked it around with steep banks and simulated emergency let down. Truly a hotrod. When we took off from BFI all you could see ahead was blue sky until we leveled off at 30,000 over the Olympics ten minutes later..
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
There are still some SP's flying... The Sands in 'Vegas flies a couple of them, or at least still did last year.

I think there are still some flying in Saudi Arabia... or were, recently.

They're pretty distinctive... so short and fat with that huge tail, but you're right, most would not notice.
I've flown on both the 747 sp and the 747 Combi (half cargo) version. Also the latest 747-8 that Lufthansa flies.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Don
I flew on a 707 in Africa in the 1990s Nairobi to Harare, I think...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

T- I was talking about the 720. Last 720B flight was in May 2012.
Non-Sponsor Ads