Pearl Harbor (Ford Field) Pacific Aviation Museum | FerrariChat

Pearl Harbor (Ford Field) Pacific Aviation Museum

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pretty good, certainly worth a visit when you see the other Pearl Harbor stuff. The recovered B-17 certainly a highlight. Zero is real and pretty much everything except Spitfire.

Bullet holes from December 7th, 1941. Not for sure if Japanese or friendly fire.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #3 rob lay, Jul 22, 2017
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #4 rob lay, Jul 22, 2017
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #5 rob lay, Jul 22, 2017
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #6 Bob Parks, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    I don't know what model A6M this is but most Japanese airplanes had reddish brown finish on the prop blades. I had the good fortune to spend an hour or so looking at the A6m that was at Langley NACA when I was there. It was not a sleek taught airframe like maybe a P-40 or P-51. There were wrinkles in the thin fuselage skin but over all it was a handsome aircraft and I had the foolish feeling that I could get into it and fly it. It was really a pretty little airplane.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- That light construction gave really good performance and range, but lack of armor and self-sealing tanks made them really vulnerable to combat damage. I doubt you would have any trouble flying one.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Somehow I find that the modern aircraft detract from the atmosphere of the museum. The included collection should be WW II only; they should have a second facility for the modern aircraft away from the harbor.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    To be fair, all of that stuff is 2nd hangar just bare. The nice hangar with movies and great displays is all WWII.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Boy, does that look better now that they've restored it. A few years ago, the tower was so deteriorated, you couldn't go in it. It was a sad sight to see.

It also brings back many memories: While many of the buildings were repaired, there are several that have battle damage. You just have to know where to look.

There used to be an armed sentry between Pearl and Hickam as Navy and Marine personnel weren't allowed on the Hickam side. Guess we were too scary to the USAF.... ;-)

Your photos look so good, it makes me think that instead of bringing WWII Vets to D.C. so congress can make themselves feel good, we ought to be sending Honor Flights to Pearl and Hickam.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I read somewhere that after the prototypes, they decreased the skin thickness even more.
    My uncle (flew in WWII in the Pacific) said... "Picture a Bonanza with 1,000 hp engine bolted to the front, that's what a Zero was like."

That makes me remember reading "Samurai" in school... about Saburo Sakai, a Zero Ace many times over, by Martin Caiden.
    Wounded several times, was sent on a kamikaze mission, but they could not find the ships in terrible weather, so returned to base. Think I'll read it again...

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, Taz, I'm aware of that . If I remember, the Zero that I looked at had a wicker seat and something that sprung a surprise on our engineers was discovering the super light and strong spar cords made of what is now 7078 or 7075 aluminum alloy. Sort of the same type of surprise in the FW190 main spar that was a one piece aluminum forging that spanned from one main gear to the other. Something that we had no way of doing at the time because we didn't have a forging press that big or as powerful. I recall something like a 50,000 ton capacity.

13. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    the super-structsure ,that was cut off the battleships ,used to just lay in the weeds on ford island

and if you walk around the aprons around the hangers you could find craters from the japenese bombs

ive been there back in 79-80,i wish there was a movie about the repair/clean-up in the years after the attacks.thru the later 40-50's

14. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #15 rob lay, Jul 27, 2017
  16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    One of the more interesting displays is the remains of the Zero that crashed on Niihau. Which became known as the "Niihau Incident". This was explained to me by one of the museum's directors as part of the reasoning behind the internment of Japanese citizens during WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That zero and the story part of this museum.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    #18 Hannibal308, Jul 29, 2017
    Rob. Love that museum.

The guy who honcho'd the repaint of the control tower building also painted my house in Waialua...he was painting some eaves and I just started small talk about nice paint and how great the Ford Islant tower looks..."yeah, my boys and I did that"...

This is one of the coolest things in there...from the original Hornet...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login