Heartbreaking????? | FerrariChat

Heartbreaking?????

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Zambelli, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Look up Johnny Lowe's airfield in Sarasota Florida. That's where I learned to fly. Also Hyattsville, Hybla Valley, and Rockville airports around Washington, DC where I got my first ride (Potomac ne' Rockville). Used to fly out of all these and they're all gone, too.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I used to hang out at Twin Pines as a kid. Loved the place. The town forced out the owner by taxing him at a residential housing rate. He died soon after.

I've been to a few of the others. Mahalchick Airport is one of the most interesting stories. I was at the liquidation sale - the 8 Goodyear blimp gondolas were pretty cool!

Regards,

Art S.

5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    hey Art - where did you live, exactly?
    From my birth in 1972 until 1980 my family lived in "Indian Village" on the corner of Cheyenne and Apache Dr., about 1500' from Twin Pine airport.

Before moving to Hunterdon County I can remember just being old enough to join my older brother and his friends on bikes through the woods to explore the abandoned twin-engined Beechcraft pictured here: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NJ/TwinPine_NJ_12_C-45G.jpg

Interesting to read the history, before and after I lived almost literally right next door to it.

Apparently the Beech is still there!

"A 2012 photo by Tony Richardson, who observed, “One of the coolest things I found at the airport was this Beech C-45G c/n 51-11481, N7615C, sadly being left to rot in the woods west of the runway.
    According to it's registration, it was registered to Engle Flying Service, which was based at the also-abandoned 3M Airport. The plane has been sitting in the same spot since the 1970s.
    The thought of getting some R-985s on that plane definitely crossed my mind.
    In a conversation I had back in December with former airport owner Mr. Weasner, he explained he still owns it & is asking $1,500 for it.”"

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Nurburgringer,

I've been in the old Beech numerous times as a kid :) best to do so in fall or spring - winter the metal is damn cold; summer, it is occupied by stinging creatures! The wings are (were) across the runway and the tail assembly was wedged in between some trees as a makeshift bench!
    Here's a cool link with pictures from 'back in the day' some before my time: EAA Chapter 176 Historic Photos

I called all of the dead aircraft Weasner's Wonders - Weasner being the owner of Twin Pines. I don't any of his planes left the airport by air. Amongst the many interesting things at Twin Pines, I particularly liked the Waco in the hangar, the Beaver and the old AT-6. But my favorite was the Korean War era Sikorski S-51 (H-5H) helicopter: http://princetononline.net/groups/eaa176/history/231%20Sikorsky%20S-51%20Bill%20Weasner.jpg I actually got it recued by bringing it to the attention of an aircraft collector. Unfortunately, it was traded and subsequently lost in a hangar fire at the Evergreen Museum.

I grew up in West Windsor, then my family moved to Princeton. I'd either ride my bike (a very long ride) or torment my parents until one of them drove me. Twin Pines, Forrestal Airport and Robbinsville had the most interesting aviation stuff within bicycling distance.

I'm still in the area and had planned to move to a property in western Hopewell (hence my crazy bridge project) but much is on hold until I resolve my spinal cord issues.

Regards,

Art S.