Original 512Tr Radio | FerrariChat

Original 512Tr Radio

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by F5506M, Sep 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Does anyone have any pics/information of the original radio that came with the 512TR. Model/Make would be helpful as well.

Thanks

2. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    the testarossa as well as the 512 tr and f512m never came with a radio...as far as i know..
    john

3. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    So what was located in the opening under the center leather compartment and can you post a pic of how it looked when original from the factory?

4. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters

Wrong,I saw official pictures of the testarossa's in '85-'86,and they had Philips or Clarion radios in it....
    Speedman

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Wrongo.

The US market Ferrari's have not had radios from early production 308's until the 456 and 355 came here.

The radios were only installed in cars destined for other markets.

The holes in the dash had a plain leather or vinyl covered cover plate.

Speakers (lousy), antennas, and wiring was all in place, but no radio.

6. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    It's a Clarion and it's ****.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not in a US car.

8. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    My 512TR is a UK spec. I could upgrade the stereo/radio to something new and flash if I wanted, but when I'm in the car the only thing I want to hear is the 12 cylinders behind my head.

9. 512cello

512cello Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    bree, belgium
    Full Name:
    marcel
    Dan,

A euro model 512TR came with a pioneer radio/cd player model DEH 670, 2x25 watts or 4x15watts. Didn't take a picture yet but if you like i will.

10. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    the box as a flip open drawer like in the center console. none of my tr starting with my 1990-1995 never came with any radio. will take pic of the box when i get home..

11. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Maybe I made a mistake I'll check again next time I'm in the car.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Other than thr BB512i, I believe radios were dealer installed, although most dealers would all use the high line units of the era...

13. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    My 1985 Euro model has a Clarion AM/FM Cassette.
    It sounds dreadful by todays standards.

14. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I believe he was asking about a Testarossa radio, not sure why you pulled the boxer into this conversation.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Read my post again...I only pointed out that OTHER THAN the BB512i, radios in Ferraris were dealer installed, including in the TR.

16. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If you guys can take some pics that would be great, i just bought a 512 and the previous owner installed a new radio in the car, i want to put the car back to the way it was when it left the factory.

17. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    I fully agree to that!!!
    I put a new Kenwood CD player in my Testarossa,to listen to my favorite Italian music,but once it was installed and the music is on,I turn it down to hear that engine revving....WOW
    That is the nicest music I ever heard....
    Speedman

18. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    Hi Rifledriver,
    You are probably right about US cars(no radio),and in your comment I have seen that you know something about F cars...
    So I believe you 110%.
    But I am also 110% sure about my own comments...
    I have official books and paperwork from the production start of the 288 GTO and the Testarossa out there in '84 and '85.
    And I have very very clear pictures of the dashbord of the Testarossa's leaving the factory,they have fitted Clarion radios in it....
    They also compare the Euro gauges to the US miles-gauges,but you can't see the radio....
    I have ath least 3000 books and magazines of those cars,don't ask me to find it tomorrow,they are located in different places.
    When I find the correct book,I will take a picture,or scan it,and show it....
    These pics were taken when the cars exit the factory in Italy,so that means no way it was the dealer's work to put a radio in the cars...
    Speedman.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

You are correct and the radios were not a quality unit even by the standards of the day. That is one of the reasons FNA saw to it all cars coming here had no radio.

I answered as I did only because, A, your answer sounded all inclusive, and B, the originator of the thread is in the US. Had he been from another market my answer would have been different. One of the many reasons some information in profiles helps us answer questions.

20. van22

van22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2005
    Absecon Island, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    VAN C
    RIGHT ON BRIAN, I THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN HOW TO READ AND COMPREHEND BETTER AND THE WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE. I THOUGHT MY WIFE WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH POOR COMPREHENSION SKILLS

21. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    You're welcome anytime,Rifledriver.
    I fully understand your comments.
    Yours,
    Speedman

22. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    Can you explain that please?
    "Some people should learn how to read"
    Who are you referring to?
    Speedman.

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    As to the radio in US spec cars, my Boxer was never US spec and it came with an FM/SB radio with cassette...no AM...are radio stations different in Europe ? I should know that having lived in Italy for a few years while in the Navy, but I don't recall even having a radio back then...I had an 8-Track player and a 33 1/3 and 45 record player! Yes, they really had them back then...LoL

24. victorg

victorg Rookie

May 2, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor Gonzalez
    Good day guys. I never saw a picture of the original state of the car without the radio both on dashboard (under the cover) and doors, can someone please help with that? I just bought a '93 512TR and I think I'll remove the Alpine and CD changer it comes with. Many thanks!

25. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I think the speakers were factory items but the head unit behind the flap was dealer installed. So when you say, original state, do you mean just removing the the unit under the cover or are your speakers aftermarket as well?

Some UK cars came with a pioneer CD unit - haven't switched it on in the 15 years.