Canepa Boxer Sold!! | FerrariChat

Canepa Boxer Sold!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by markpeboxer, Nov 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 markpeboxer, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

I had velocity stacks on mine. It sounded awesome, but lost power from sucking in all that hot air. If anyone wants them, PM me.

DMAX

3. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Wow! Big money for a Boxer.... and I thought Michael did really selling his for $150K.
    I hope he reports the sales price to FML and Cavallino

Is it still listed somewhere on a web site? I would like see more photos and read the description of the mods that were done to it.

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    No wonder Bruce nearly passed out when I toldhim I would pay up to $80K for a decent driver Boxer earlier this year. Serves him right for not posting the price!

ROTFL

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Mark, any more pics or info on the rebuild? Looks like a beautiful car. thanks for posting.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Can you give us a summary of the mods?

7. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    As i mentioned before I saw this car at a meet here about 2 years ago, it was at Exotics of Ceasars Palace they were asking $135k for it then sold shortly afterwards.

The mods I saw were Koni adjustable springs/shocks, tubi, a different distributor cap that looked fabricated, Carobu rebuilt the motor to stock, custom velocity stacks and maybe brakes I don't recall 100%, 17 inch wheels of course.

Other than that basically stock, a nice car that ran well and was tuned right with the carbs.

As mentioned before since the Hussein BB sold for $165k 2 years ago Boxers have been going up, this price at $175k sets a new benchmark but if the Hussein BB sold again now it would bring $200k IMO easy.

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    This is good news ! I just do not understand why someone would pay over market, for a non-stock car.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A fool and his money are soon departed...while Boxer prices are going up...they are not at that level yet...especially for a non-original car...

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    When I called Bruce to discuss the car, there was quite a laundry list of modifications. He referred to it as doing a Canepa redesign of the car in the spirit of how it should have been done at the factory. I am not sure I caught his meaning, but he listed all the items that were redone and it was essentially every mechanical system in the car. I do not think this car was very stock at all. It had the stock engine and driveline, I guess, but all reworked and "refined", I think Canepa called it.

We have opined in this forum before about how collectable a car like this is. I am very surprised at its sales price in that it is as far away from factory as you could get short of replacing the engine or turbocharging it. It's more of a custom car now. Down the line, will the next owner (or the next) acheive a sales price near stock unmolested Boxers?

11. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This car has been discussed before in depth on this site. Bruce has a tendency to "add a little color" when describing his cars sometimes.
    Canapa did not build this car. It's basically stock, and the mods JP pointed out are correct as well as it has an aluminum radiator. It's cosmetically very nice. Sits right and looks current somehow. The interior looks better in person. The work is first rate.
    I have been following it because I'm obviously interested in resto mods. This car has killer curb appeal and draws interest quickly and easily. It has been sold twice in the last 12 months. Each time for at least 20% higher than top end market.
    I can also guarantee that more people have looked at it and considered buying it than many of it's stock brethren.
    The market is a tricky thing to figure out. It's about desire and demand. At best we're all students of it.

12. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    A lot of the modifications were done at Symbolic c.1999-2000? I know because I worked there and was involved with the owner of the car on the project. Custom fabrication of the rollbar, the red leather covering with a specific style of stitching was specified. The customer wanted bigger brakes necessitating the bigger wheels. I found him the Speedline wheels. There were only two sets left and I strongly urged him to buy both sets, which he did. As I recall, the wheels were manufactured/machined to fit BB/TR/GTO's but did not come with the wheel hubs. They had to be swapped from the original wheels to the new ones. IIRC, an aftermarket exhaust was installed as well (Borla?). I test drove the car after it was finished. Sweeeeet!

13. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Resto mods even for American '50s cars, are bringing big money if done well. Most of the time more money that the stock vehicle would have commanded.

In my opinion, if you can return the car to stock, with relative ease, then it should have no effect on the value. But when you start changing sheet metal, or plastic if you will, then you are taking a chance that the next potential buyer will not like your work. So except for paint, keep the body stock, play with the suspension, wheels and brakes, but keep the original parts. And don't throw away the original interior parts either, so if you change seats, hang on to the originals. Especially the Boxer radio.

Personally, I would do no more than an engine "blueprint", no big changes mechanically. Leave the drive train stock, except for radiator and ignition.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #15 Newman, Nov 22, 2016
  16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #16 Newman, Nov 22, 2016
  17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Call me crazy but I love it!

And $175K seemed high back then when this thread started!

19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Yes, The interior is a bit obnoxious. They could have toned it down a bit especially around the dash area and steering. Throw some black in it and it'll be borderline OK.