What is the highest milage TR? | FerrariChat

What is the highest milage TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rskdsk, Oct 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    Just curious to know how long these engines will last. I know that is dependent on the care given ... but what is the highest milage out there today? From what I have seen so far in the list ... around 50k miles.

2. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    BTW I am at 42k miles

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I'm at 48k.

I had conversed with Nick Forza at length about these engines and he is of the opinion that there is no reason that the engine itself isn't good for 200k. I agree.

The problem is the cost of even the most routine maintence.

4. oldgitau

oldgitau Rookie

Oct 27, 2006
    uk
    Full Name:
    arthur hughes
    I have just bought an 86000 mile car , a 512TR . Fabulous condition and well maintained example . Did its mileage mainly on Autobahn journeys.

5. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i recently turned 36000, trying hard to be one of the few, the proud, the 100000 mile owners. :)

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'll pass 50K total miles soon. There's been some hearsay posted of higher mileage TRs out there, but Napolis is the highest reliable report so far:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135518801&postcount=8

PS I'd add that time can be a factor too -- i.e., it's easier to hit 100K in 5~10 years than to hit 100K in 25~30 years without needing a major repair IMO.

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #7 MS250, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In toronto a yellow 88 with 250,000kms (Over).......160,000 miles ballpark

Still running, original gear box too and he does burnouts often ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    160K miles ... with burn outs .... yikkkkkes

Maybe I should have asked the question differently .... HOw many people have needed to rebuild thier engines due to major failure?

9. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    These engines don't appear too hard to rebuild. The liners are easy to get and the valves would be easy to also get.

10. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Agreed. Were it not for the staggering cost of these mundane items, we would be set.
    Have you priced a gasket set? :rolleyes:

11. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA
    '88 with 120,000 km's with 512M gearbox replaced 20K ago. new clutches, stub axels, imput shafts etc.... all becuase of 'frequent burnouts'

there's a saying..... "if you wanna play, you're gonna pay" and it's the truth. As for that yellow '88 with 250K and frequent burnouts..... I call b.s. or else his so called burnouts are'nt all that frequent!!

Doc.

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Once a year i see this car, its always doing this type of show........feel free to ask in the CDN section, many fchatters are familar with this car and its owner. I do also believe he went amost 10yrs with the same belts. He just traded the car for an SLR.

PS...he also drove this car through car washes.

13. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    OMG. When he drove through the car washes, did he actually stop and let it wash the car, or was that just a high-speed jump pass?

Second point - on the Napolis 140Kmile car link I think I read in the post: Belts broke in 1988 under warranty? OK, that sort of changes the tone of things on engine longevity, doesn't it? Wonder what the warranty interval & the mileage at the belts broken point were? I didn't think these came with more than 12 months 12K miles - and I cannot fix belts that often by any means.

14. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My 86 has over 63k miles. I got it at 57k but have since put in 513M tranny/diff, new clutch, 30k service, XOST and Hyperflow cats, repaired the fuse panel, etc. Pretty much all that can go wrong with and 86 TR has been fixed. No engine work needed.

It runs just fine.

15. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    This would make his car a 98k car since the belts broke.

16. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The flat-12 is built like a brick ####house....it's RARE that anything brakes in them. A while back....we saw one of these motors wound to almost 10k rpms.....yes....you read that right....10,000 rpms....numerous times!! There was a guy a while back who tracked a TR and said he wound the motor well over 9k rpms and it sounded awesome. Well all of us TR owners were shocked and a bit skeptical of his claims. He finally posted proof with pics (and a vid somewhere) of the tach and speedo as he was reving to those rediculous numbers - and then shifting and doing it again - and the math worked out....he really did it. Of course the motor runs out of steem well before these numbers, but it's really something that this engine can hit these numbers without grenading. I feel that there is a lot more potential in the old flat-12, but sadly the rest of the drivetrain isn't up to it.

I'm not at all surprised that these motors can go 150k to 200k miles....

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I don't follow the logic - are you saying 12K, they break, fixed under warranty...30K he replaces them again, finally disposes of car at 140K? (140 - (12 + 30) = 98?)

I thought he was saying he did belts EVERY 30 K. And anyway, if he did it at 12K and at 30K, wouldn't it really be 140-30 = 110K? I cannot imagine anybody (especially not him, after an early failure) going that long between belts...

What I was worried about was that initial failure, which must have been at pretty low miles, or else the dealer had a pretty liberal warranty interpretation.

18. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA
    ------------------------------
    will do (eh). thanx.