Bad azz boxer-part 2 | FerrariChat

Bad azz boxer-part 2

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by riverflyer, Nov 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 riverflyer, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171354

I flew down to check out this car a couple of weeks ago. I drove the car and loved it. It is truly a beast and yet also very very nicely mannered under normal throttle input. Unfortunately, the leak down was not good and the car smoked, which could have been turbo's except for the damning leakdown evidence. After a couple weeks of negotiation I was able to get Drivers Source to bascially split the cost of a major engine out rebuild with me. I have discussed the project at length with Brian Crall, who has taken such good care of all the fcars I have owned. He is excited about the project and confident that we can handle all the issues thoroughly. In the end it may be for the best that the leakdown failed as this gives me the opportunity to really rebuild and refine the whole system.

I want to thank James Patterson at Norwoods most sincerely. The man is a class act and spent a ton of time going over the build and issues with me. I had planned on sending the car to him but in the end decided to work with my "local" shop as I figured it might take a few visits after rebuild to fine tune the car to my liking and Brian Crall is a great wealth of knowledge about TR motors as well as an owner.

I know modified Ferraris are an issue for many on the forum, but all I can say is this is one very cool car and the prospect of reliable and tastefully completed project with such a beautiful base car is very exciting and my lord does this car haul azz!
    A true poor mans f40!

I will post updates as we go along with mechanical and cosmetic upgrades.
    O, and happy Thanksgiving!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Best of luck with the car. I agree a modded boxer is an awesome car. Far better than a poor mans F40. By any chance do you know the weel and tire sizes on the car, and who may have made the wheels?

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Cool car and a good price considering the cost of the work done in the past. Its good to see someone here got it so we can all enjoy it in a way. You need to add the chassis number to the "just how many boxer owners" thread in this section.

Post more pics too please, I love the rims, Im jealous.

P.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks Sean, I believe the wheels are speedlines. They are 3 piece custom with 245/40/17fr and 335/35/17 rear so I would guess 17x8.5 or 9 fr and 17x12 rear.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Boyd Coddington made them, $2500 a rim they quoted me last year. Forza issue #37 has a big write-up on this very car including wheel info. They also require reworking the rear suspension pick-up points to make them fit.

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #6 riverflyer, Nov 21, 2007
    Yes, I forgot that reference. You are correct. Its pretty cool having a car written up in Forza, maybe they will want to revisit it after I finish the job. Great story for sure.
    Newman, your posts in the original thread were one of the inspirations that kept me on task as far as the car was concerned. Once I drove it, even with the issues, it was clear that it would be a perfect stablemate for my wierd collection.
    Here are a few more shots, thanks.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Very nice, BBs are beauties

congratulations :)

8. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Yes! +1 :D

9. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    The "BB TT"

Glad to see it go to a caring home and best of luck with the rebuild. Interested to hear what the source of the poor leakdown is. Rings or valves?

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I did consider the car myself as well, contacted the seller but didnt hear back from them on it. Im looking forward to seeing the thread with the rebuild process you go through, should make for some interesting reading during the winter months (for me anyway). I want to see what kind of rods and pistons they went with. If you want suggestions at that time just say the word, I use many different rod designs in the engines I build and they can take 1600HP.

Good luck, like I said im jealous. :)

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That is absolutely the meanest looking Boxer I have ever seen!! Congratulations!!

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    What all does an engine rebuild include and what does it cost at Norwoods?

13. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Tremendous. I'm so glad to see a fchatter got the car. My missed opportunity is mollified now by living vicariously through fchat posts.

14. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Funny you say that, I have had this particular car on my mind for two years. It was auctioned at Keels and Wheels May/06. I set up a phone bid and had talked extensively with the owner and the agent representing the car and was very excited about it then. About two bids in my phone agent told me, "Sorry, you might as well pack it in unless you have really deep pockets as the guy bidding against you really wants the car and is a Houston collector of great means".
    So now what comes around..... and yes, the stance of the car, the wheels, the old school boxer trim all combine to give this car a very special aura.

It brings a smile to me to know that I have a bunch of fcar brothers watching along with good intentions and wishes!

Newman, I will certainly check in with you once its broken down and we can see whats needed. I know Brian and Dave Helms share some piston source but am certainly open to learning from your experience as well.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was at that auction. If you were bidding against O'Quinn or Jerry Moore he was right! LOL!

You came to Texas and didn't call?

NOW i'm mad! LOL!

16. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations on a great purchase! That is truly one bad azz Boxer and I'm lovin' everything about it!
    Plenty of pictures please during the rebuild, as that should be most interesting.
    Gonna be tough to get it regestered in CA though, unless you can convince them those turbos came stock!
    Good luck with you great new ride!
    John

17. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John

Damn, they already ran the T1 line to your tent!
    Phone bid only on the texas visit back then, the last time in and out, but I shoulda called, do you still love me?
    yes, Jerry Moore

18. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Heartfelt congrats on the car John, I must admit to being also a little jealous, and look forward to reading the future story of your rebuild. If i did not already own a BB I would have considered this car, the dollar is so cheap for us europeans right now I have just bought a second Pantera in the US and will be shipping it back soon. Well done. It is a very cool Boxer indeed.
    Steve

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #19 Newman, Nov 21, 2007
    When you tear the engine down I hope to see rods like these (on the left) in it considering the HP output it was making in the past. The rod on the left is an H-beam rod, the rod on the right is an I-beam. The I-beam type rod is typical production stuff, although this particular I-beam is a performance version. Your TR should have a very high strength H-beam rod with a 7/16" cap screw to support the near 1000HP it was making originally. A rod with a 3/8" cap screw is only good to around 7000rpm and 700HP. I just installed a set of H-beams in an engine this evening.

20. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    John,
    After seeing this car in Forza magazine, I have to say it is by far my favorite Ferrari. You are right about the wheels, stance, looks, etc make it special. Even with a stock engine, it is a jewel. I considered persuing it, but a Ferrari in Alaska is tough (even my "reliable" 328), so I knew a profesional to work on it was thousands of miles away. It would have killed me to let it sit unused for months at a time in the winter, and if something broke, reality is that it would be nearly impossible to fix up here.

If you ever decide to let it go, I probably will be in line to make an offer against my better judgement. Congratulations on your new car; enjoy! Please continue to post lots of pictures for me to envy.

21. Sieze Giorno

Sieze Giorno Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    I bet that thing is a beast!!

Any specs?

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    RIVERFLYER

Major Cograts. I'm another one that considered it.

Best of luck!

I love BBs

23. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    You got a great deal on the car, welcome to the BB club and keep us updated on its progress and driving impressions

And agree James Patterson is a class act and stand up guy has helped me over the phone a few times

24. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    wow! congrats. what a mean mutha!!

25. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Congrats!! That is one GORGEOUS BB, with crazy power to boot!
    I can't wait to follow the rebuild thread.

JIM