Can I remove the air injection system on my car? | FerrariChat

Can I remove the air injection system on my car?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jcorallo, Apr 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    I have a 1986 testarossa. I plan on getting the catless pre-cat pipes. Since I wont have the cats can I remove this system. I am new to the ferrari world so bare with me. Thanks in advance.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    it is difficult to remove the pump and bracketry with the engine in the car - but it can be done with some care. The bracket supports the lower throttle cable guide... but the guide can be left loose & zip tie to a stud. make some aluminum blanking plates to mount on the heads & use a fresh gasket.

pull everything off.. & save it.

the only thing i left in place is the pipe T mounted above the oil filter. this is virtually impossible to get off with the engine in the car.

the pump essentially does not sap HP. it can be left on with little to no penalty.

Rgds,
    Vince

3. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I am currently running this set up and the car has never run better. I have the hi-perf pre cats, test pipes and a factory muffler, with no pump or air system. The throtle response is excellent and the sound is just right IMO-not to loud not to soft, the car moves along a little faster(some of that might be psychological)but now it just feels right with this setup.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    the air pump only runs while the engine is below temp. once warm - it is only dead weight.
    rgds,
    Vince

5. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Does this system have those pieces that shhot the air in and abstruct the exhaust flow like the 308 does?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, but don't rely on the check valves to seal off the system -- use a flat plate to block off the port on the cylinder head where the air is injected as Vince suggested.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    speaking of check valves...

a maintenance tip - check your checks.

the check valves failed on my car & allowed exhaust H2O to back feed into the air pump.... of course the pump rotted solid as a result.

the checks are a low dollar NAPA replacement. IMHO these should be routinely replaced as a part of every major service.

the air pumps are getting way expensive from Fcar & are worth a few (very few) bucks in routine check valve replacement.

better yet - yank the entire lot off the car.... but SAVE IT.

rgds,
    vince

8. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    So 5 and a half years later the Air Injection System is off.

I ordered Ferrari Block off plates from Eurospares for about 58 bucks so that took care of having to fabricate anything.

I have zero cats on the car so I do not need the air injection system and it is a classic car in my state so I do not need emissions.

One less belt to drive and car is 15 pounds lighter. Win Win.

More room to work on the car.

The engine bay looks better.

I dont plan on ever selling it and if I ever do and the air injection system is the breaking point then so be it. Il keep it in a box in case anybody needs it.

Yes I did get the piece off from behind the oil filter (lots of different size screw drivers to get the clamps off first to get all the hoses off first then I was able to swivel it to get a wrench in there)
    so as of now everything is off besides the power cable running to it buts that's because it is in a tube with others.

BUT - how did you guys get the tube off on the passenger side. The header is completely blocking it. That;s all I have left to take off. The only way seems to take a hacksaw blade and spend a lot of time and just saw through it.

Please help.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could you please post a photo of the tube on the passenger side? I can not imagine because those air injection sytsem has not been on german cars

10. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #10 qwazipsycho, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Using both a socket on an extension and a 10MM wrench, I was able to pull both off without issues. I ended up putting them back on and just plugging them with a cap.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    There was absolutely no way I was able to pull it off. Got all the nuts off but there was no way it was coming off - the header was so close to it.

Dremel got the job done - just cut through it and the bent it up and down till it broke what wasn't cut through.

There must be variation in the headers or something because no way was that pipe coming off with out taking off the header.

Anybody want to buy an air pump?

12. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'd suggest you hang on to it. You never know....

13. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    I never plan on selling the car (as of now) and there is no way i myself am ever putting this piece of crap back on!!!! What a pain it is!

14. palmbeachbill

palmbeachbill Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    I have a 1990 TR and the Air Pump is frozen and needs to be replaced. Do you still have one for sale?

15. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #15 Santino1, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017