512TR battery | FerrariChat

512TR battery

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pitbullforte, Mar 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pitbullforte

pitbullforte Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2006
    Oporto
    well , my battery is completly dead and i need to buy a new one. It is a Bosch 6f ( 66 aH).
    What do you recommend?
    thank you

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I use an Optima Red top with a Deltran tender + battery tender.

The fact that your battery is completely dead may speak of other things. Do a search on TR alternater and you will find some tests to run when you put your new battery in....to be sure it was just the battery.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

3. pitbullforte

Apr 26, 2006
    Oporto
    i already did a search and nothing appeared realted to the 512tr.
    can you tell me where are they?
    thank you

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Personally I would not use a Optima Battery. Once they drain and go dead, they are gone. I would get an Interstate battery. Very tough and reliable. Yes get a battery tender.

5. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Interstate and hard wire the Battery Tender as you do the install.

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Check under Testarossa related search.

The battery set-up and testing is the same.

The Deltran Tender + is too large to be hardwired....it's a stand alone unit. You wire the "quick disconnect" to the battery terminals, route to outside the car and connect to the long cable run from the tender.

I have the Optima Red Top in the Ferrari and an Interstate in my Lamborghini VT Roadster ....so either one is good.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Red Top Optima in mine as well with a Schumacher tender. So far so good.

8. pitbullforte

Apr 26, 2006
    Oporto
    thank you very much

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Need a new battery for a 512TR.., would like the red Optima battery...what is model ID # ???

Who sells on line in US..

10. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    A thumbs up for Interstate Battery and Battery Tender. BC installed an Interstate Batt 9 years ago during belt svc. He replaced it 4 weeks ago and it was still going strong. Kept it hooked up to Battery Tender. Good deal.

11. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I had one of the early (US built) Optima Red Tops in my 512TR for 13 years and I only had to replace it when the positive terminal got loose and would intermittently short out. But it always started the car. Newer Optimas I understand are made elsewhere and are not as good. I got a replacement Optima that lasted only 4 months and then died (full replacement by Batteries Plus). I now have had an Odyssey Extreme Series battery in place for 14 months with no issues.

12. lizard1

lizard1 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    West TX
    Full Name:
    Frank
    any recommendation on which Interstate Battery to get? Their website does not list an option for the 512TR - just the 348

13. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Just for reference for future searches, my Interstate MT-34R finally gave up the ghost after 8 years. The local auto part store said the MT-34R is discontinued, and has been replaced by the MT-36R. Got home and tried to install it - and no go(a little too wide for the mounting bracket to fit). Further research on the Interstate website showed the width for the 34R was 6-7/8, while the the 36R was 7-1/4.

Anyway, called Interstate and explained the situation, and they informed if my fitting must require the 34R - then I have to step up the Interstate - Optima battery(SC-34R).

The cost of the MT-36R was only $125, while the SC-34R was $225.

14. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    It is funny that this thread came up. One of my friends here in Houston called today with a dead battery in his 512M. He said that the Interstate 34R is no longer available and asked what I am using in my 512. I use the Optima Red Top with no issues.... He is installing one as soon as he is back from the lake next week.

15. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have had mixed luck with the optima red.

If you have a slow drain and it goes dead......the battery is DOA. Its happened to several for me.

However, if you disconnect the ground strap then they last forever.

This has been my experience.

16. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Any new LI ion batteries? I understand they are very light.

17. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    For completeness, the Interstate/Optima SC-34R that I bought was an AGM battery. I didn't know if my 10 year old Deltran Battery Tender Plus will fully charge the unit, so I went ahead and bought a CTEK 4.3 charger. It had a "snowflake" mode that is designed for AGM batteries.

18. Richard Fulton

Oct 15, 2013
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Fulton
    I am not sure if anyone on this thread suggested turning the battery switch off after use. My 1992 has a black knob under the hood, right side, aft of the battery box. I turn it off after every time I use the car, just a thought after you install anew battery.

19. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Yes, that would be one way of stop the battery drain, but probably requires more work to pop open the trunk every time. I have a pigtail installed in the front/nose that can be easily hooked up/disconnected and is pretty inconspicuous as well.

But when the car was in the shop, and my mechanic was troubleshooting the mousebelts/ECU which required a lot of turning on/off the aforementioned knob - he suggested to let the car idle for about 10 minutes at the next outing. I believed it is to let the ECU to re-learn XXX(I'm not a mechanic - so I forget the exact terms). I think that is the main reason why I don't use the knob as much.

On the other hand, I've shut if off before as well - when I'm troubleshooting the solenoid/hot start problem, and I have not noticed any difference either way.

20. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    That's actually a good question, beside maintaining the battery full, is it really better for the ECU to use a batter tender and not use the knob in the trunk? Is it really re-learning things every time? It seems like a modern days ECU behavior to me, I'm not sure 80's ECUs were capable of learning much, if anything.

I've used the knob systematically when I park the car in the garage for more than a few days, but now I'm curious!

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the ECU from the TR with K and KE jetronic are not "learnable", with the motronic from bosch for the 512TR and the 512M I don´t know

22. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Thanks Romano! So it seems it would not make any difference on a TR weather it would remain on a battery tender or off from the switch. Good to know!