Tail light dilemma | FerrariChat

Tail light dilemma

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by lasvegascop, Apr 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Ok....My white tail light bulb holders on my 86 TR broke off and I have no idea where I could possibly get me some replacements. If you have a source please let me know. Any help with this would be extremely appriciated!

Ski

2. JohnP

JohnP Karting

Nov 23, 2007
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    John
    I need one too!

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I think we all need one.

R

4. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
  5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Yeah yeah.....me too. :(

....make that 2 of those white plastic bulb holders.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #6 Spasso, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    I had the locking tab break off of one and couldn't find the piece so I cut a new tab and partial socket out of a 9006 Halogen headlight bulb with a Dremel and glued the new piece in with JB Weld (Yes, it works).
    Good as new and stronger than OEM

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    One word, JB Weld.

8. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
  9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Kerry put this in the cross ref. thread. Good info. Thanks

10. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
  11. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I don't know specifically which part #'s match what Ferrari used. I was informed a couple of years ago, by I believe Carguy, that the sockets were a GM type. As to whether there is an "exact" replacement, as far as the shape and material, I am not sure, but the dimensions/diameter are a standard size. If I was home (away on biz for a few weeks) and had access to mine I would remove one and photogragh it and then submit it to a variety of these type of suppliers (whom deal with this type of part daily) and see if they can identify exactly what other applications where it was used. I can't believe for even a moment that theses are sockets that were just for Ferrari applications..............it wouldn't make economic sense.

They may no longer be available in an exact replacement (highly doubtful) and a substitute would then be needed. Now for those owners who are needing an exact/concours type socket this could be a negative. But again, if indeed this was used in a GM or some other application at some time in the '80's........then it's out there somewhere I'm sure.

If someone wants to take the time and effort to remove a socket and take a few pix at different angles that show it's unique shape and characteristics, along with some dimensions and forward them to me at my email ([email protected]) I would be more than enthusiastic to do the detective work to find out what they are and where to get them. I have plenty of time to do so and am pretty good at locating items that supposedly are unavailable (except maybe an upgraded TR carrier-lol).

Kerry

12. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Kerry...email sent...

wow, and I thought that part was an easy one and I was the blind one! Well, I hope all of us can pull together and come up with a solution...

thnx again guys

Ski

13. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Ski, I got he email.........and I sent you a new homework assignment!!!!.....lol.

Kerry

14. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    done and mailed back to ya! ;-)

15. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Faster than a speeding 512/M,
    Able to contort his limbs and unfasten a TR tailight socket in a single fluid motion,
    Look, in the driveway, bending awkwardly into that engine compartment,
    It's a mechanic, it's a TR owner......NO......It's Ski!!

And who disguised as a mild-mannered, constantly grinning owner of a 12 cylinder Ferrari

Consistently searches for parts, photograhic evidence, and does it in an expedient way!!!

Thanks Superman................

Now hopefully I as Jimmy Olsen will figure out where to get the correct replacement sockets faster than Lois Lane was able to figure out that Clark was indeed....................................

Kerry

16. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    hahahahah....thnx Kerry!!! geez

Ski

17. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #17 kerrywittig, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By the way to other veiwers of this thread.....Please take a moment and check to see if indeed these are the same "style" sockets in your TR (below I have posted a pix). I suddenly got a "thought" that mine on an '87 TR are different in that they, if I remember correctly, have a number of metal tabs surrounding the diameter of the socket and infact are not at all condusive to being removed from the back of the housing. I have to change bulbs by removing the rear tail light grill and the lens!!!!!!!..........Now this may not be original.....mine may have been replaced with a "GM" type socket by a previous owner!!

I infact have a couple sockets that are busted because of my trying to initially trying to remove them from the back of the housing..which seemed would be the logical way to gain access to the bulbs...........but found that this was not the case on my TR......I figured it was a "ferrari" thang!

So once again I ask if you might take a momemt to check what configuration your particular TR uses. It would be helpful in sorting out if there are one or two or three possible different style sockets used during the TR production years. If you have one that is a different configuration than what I have posted below.................take a pix and share..Please!!Kerry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    #18 lasvegascop, May 7, 2009
    Ok...I ran out of patiance looking for replacements on these light sockets so I managed to fix what I had. I had one missing both tabs and two missing one tab. I took an aluminum strip stock and bent it around a metal pipe similar to the inside diameter of the socket. I then cut one or two notches depends on what I needed, bent it, used a little bit of JB weld, placed it inside the socket and the results speak for themselves! It works and its out of the way. Yes, I could've made a a little prettier BUT I didnt...no one will look into my sockets! hahahah

Stay safe and drive

Ski

19. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #19 carguy, May 7, 2009
    Hello TR owners! Though I'm not a TR owner any more, I would like to clear up a few things about these darn tail light sockets. Kerry's '87 Testarossa had many sockets broken or problematical. So I started to search for these sockets, or similar types. Well as it turned out, Alpha-Romeo used some that were close but not exact, but nobody else did. So I started looking for a "generic" socket that would work. I measured the diameter of the original, and went from there. After a few days of searching, and funny looks from the parts counter people, I found suitable replacements.

Now bear in mind, the TR socket has two "ears" to retain it into the tail light housing - no other car on Earth uses this type of system as far as I could tell. I never did find this socket in use anywhere!!! So I just looked for a socket that would physically fit into the application. The picture attached is very poor - sorry but my wife is sleeping and I don't dare disturbe her with bright lights, etc !!

These sockets are for tail light/brake light and for tail light/turn signal applications. They are made by a company called JT & T. They are not a perfect fit, but with a bit of effort will "screw" into the tail light housing.

Here are the descriptions and part numbers....
    Part number 2584F / GM twist lock socket / turn, park, stop lamps
    Part number 2580F / GM twist lock socket / 3-wire stop, tail, and signal lamps

Please keep in mind, these are not exact replacements, but can be wired into the stock harness and work well.

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #20 Melvok, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    Great tip ! Look at: http://www.ba-electronics.com/bestconn.pdf and search for these partsnumbers !

Or download their pdf-file and keep it safe.... I see more connectors in this file that might have been used in our TR !

21. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Ah-Ha............Now it makes sense. Carguy, you have filled in the void. I remember you mentioning at some point that the sockets were GM....but what you meant was that a GM type socket could be "made" to fit!!! I apologize to anyone out there that I may have provided false hope too concerning this quick fix. I wondered why every source that I contacted with pix and info said, "I have never even seen a socket like that."...........Just as you found on your original quest.

One thing to note is that if one is going to use the sockets that Carguy listed (the ones I have) YOU MUST CHANGE OUT THE BULBS VIA THE FRONT! In otherwords, you will need to remove the grill and the lens to access the bulb. Once the replacement sockets are pushed into the taillight housing...they do not come out easily or in a condition that will allow them to be re-seated into the opening. hope that made sense?!?!?!?

Kerry

22. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    #22 teveo, Apr 7, 2014
    I recently bought a 3D printer, most for amusement and prototyping but am making a few parts for my Testarossa, replacing the 16 or 18 rear bulb holder alone cost as much as 50% the printer. (the big butterflies for whom may be familiar). These are brittle and prone to crack the tabs that hold the bulb.

The machine will print ABS, PLA, HIPS, nylon and even a silicone rubber called ninjaflex. The latter one would be perfect for grommets and maybe various boots.

Here is a video showing my Lulzbot (3D printer) working on a hex nut.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUZKd3uyy6g]IMG 0526 - YouTube[/ame]

This technology has moved on and they do make aluminum parts as well, but with much more expensive equipment. Google "jay lenos garage youtube" and you will see some interesting videos, among a few pretty Jaguar E-types!

Would be interesting to hear if any members here have experience with this technology or even 3D meshes/models of TR parts.

I will happily share my mesh/models when I have them finished and verified their functionality.

Testarossa butterflies being modelled.

23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Verell (unobtainium) has them.

24. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    #24 teveo, Apr 7, 2014
    Yes, I know but making your own can be fun.

Here is another approach, a "snap in" bracket, it fit inside the bulb holder and I will test it tomorrow. Clean out the area where the tabs should be, add couple drops of superglue and push this in. Still a crude prototype but if good I will use best resolution, this is ABS plastic, I think nylon would be a problem with the glue.

25. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Did you make those on the printer, they look like it?