Testarossa Glove Box Light Switch | FerrariChat

Testarossa Glove Box Light Switch

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by IceSkater, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IceSkater

IceSkater Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    The on/off switch for the lights in the glove box of my 89 TR is functioning only intermittently. Is anyone familiar with a method to repair or replace this switch? Would it be an easy or difficult job for a novice? I do have a spare switch available. Thanks.

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I've been there....

First, check that it's the switch and not the metal trigger not hitting the microswitch to turn it on.

Open the glove box and move the lid side to side and see if the light flickers.

Gently open and close the box and see if you can make the light go on and off in the same place consistantly.

Tell us what you find.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

3. IceSkater

IceSkater Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Hello Shamile

Thanks for your help.

If I reach in and play with the little metal trigger lever arm I am able to get the lights to work. Otherwise, nothing happens when moving the door in or out, up or down.

By the way, thanks for sharing your many experiences here. You've posted some very enlightening and interesting information.

Regards

Tony

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Thank you for the kind words. :)

If you can make the light work by wiggling it, I would say your problem is not really the micro switch itself but trying to trigger it. the micro switch is held on by two screws. Perhaps they have come loose.

....or, the plastic cam on the box has worn slightly.

The switch is on the side of the glove box near the passenger door. Shine a light in the space between the dash and glove box and see if you can see the switch body move when you try to open or close the lid.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #5 jgmblair, May 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought I would just complete this thread instead of starting a new one. My glove box lights were inoperable. I confirmed the fuse was ok and there was power at the BR (white red) wire as per the wiring diagram but closing the switch did not activate the lights. I popped the switch off by releasing the soldered wires and "CAREFULLY" pried open the switch. I was able to clean the contacts and put things back together and now the lights work as they should. This was about as much fun as doing my window motors ;) very tedious work with very small parts and don't drop that spring it might take you 20 minutes to find the damn thing!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I have also cleaned the switches on other parts of my TR. These cars are getting older and oxidation is taking place. My glove box door switch was intermittent, Took it apart and cleaned contacts. Works perfect now.

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Bumping this thread from last year. Does anyone have a cross for this switch? Mine is broken and missing the metal plunger for it so it does not activate. Thank you!