liquid explosion!! | FerrariChat

liquid explosion!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Drew_4RE, Jun 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    So I was driving all day in the tr and bragging about how well it drove when on my way home someone yelled at me saying I was spilling liquid out the back. Pulled into a gas station and had a green liquid pouring out of the back left panel (if looking at the ass). It was like someone put the faucet on high!

Anyway, she's sitting here at the gas station and we're waiting for a tow.

Any ideas on what it is? I'm thinking coolant hose but have no idea beyond that...

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A segment of hose burst at the left radiator, or at the overflow tank, or the overflow tank itself has rusted through....just my guesses...

3. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I had this last year, as one of my fans did not kick on, it started to overheat just enough to cough up some coolant from the expansion tank overflow...

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Drew, didn't you just have a full major done on this car not too long ago?

If it's not covered by the shop warranty, this is a job you can do yourself....if it's just a hose or coolant tank. First when you get the car home ( not covered by shop situ ) wash off the engine and tell us where the coolant is leaking. Could even be a silly situation of the shop forgetting to tighten a hose clamp and the aluminum tube slipping off the hose.

Let us know,

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Just had this happen to me. BOttom of the radiator hose severed. Fired her up again today and let her run up to about 220ish on the temp, no fans. Sounds like it is most likely the relay as I doubt all 4 fans stopped working at the same time. They are not seized either. IS there a relay for each side or just one? I'm going to have it sent up to autosprint tomorrow.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, separate relay for each side; one thermoswitch (in the LH radiator) triggers both relays -- but have you checked the horizontal white connectors at the bottom of the fuse-relay panel for "burning"? (Not uncommon for one side's connection to get burned and stop working, and things still work OKish, if a little warm -- then when second side's connection burns up, it more obviously overheats. The connectors must be unplugged to inspect for this.)

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #7 Mr.Chairman, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Dave Helms fuse panel installed in Brads car.. Connector cant be the issue. (This was my car) Also top right fans are the oil cooler fan.. They turn on once oil temp hits 210.. Never in five years has oil temp reach 210.. Maybe the thermo switch got saturated from hot coolant.. Once culprit is found bleed her properly..

R

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#8 Bradwilliams, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Chairman always says it best. Gold connector kit or go home!! Sounds like old age catching up to the hose or a bad radiator switch. Also, the temp I was referring to was on the thermostat gauge not oil gauge. Still car never got past 250, which is hot but shouldn't be hot enough to burst a hose.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Got her back today from autosprint. Ground wire was apparrently loose in the fusebox and blew the fuses for the fans. Got it straightened out, and it was working fine. Got halfway home, stopped off the highway to get gas, and and again NO FANS. temp rose, more liquid explosion. Having her towed back again tomorrow morning :(

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sounds like excessive amp draw blowing your fuse. I've heard that there are new alternative fan and shroud assemblies with more efficient motors that slip right in. I'll post a link when I find it.

12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Had it towed and checked out today and now they are saying the fans are working again. Geez

13. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Stupid question, did they change the fuse?

Also, could you have blockage somewhere?

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I actually changed them before it was sent back and still nothing. I told them to let it run for awhile and then go drive it to see for themselves

15. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    "Still nothing" like the fans didn't turn on? So you did blow the fuse again, right?

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

First time yes, but they put new ones in, retightened the wiring in the fusebox and it worked fine. Drove it 30 miles on the way home pulled off to get gas and then nothing, no fans more liquid explosion

17. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    ....and the fuse blew again or am I mistaken?

18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Fuses are good

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what happens when you connect the both wires at the thermoswitch?
    are the fans running then?

20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Ferraristi,

I was just thinking... maybe the little metal connectors in the white housing are expanding and losing contact when they warm up.

You say your fans work when things are starting to warm up but won't when everything is good and hot.

Try cleaning the connector with sandpaper and bending them closer together with a small screwdriver.

Also, when things are hot put your fingers on the fan relays. If they're cold, it may be an internal fuse box connection malfunction.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

21. pv908

pv908 Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul V
    Hi.

It sounds to me like the thermostat is playing up.
    I had the liquid explosion and the fans not working as well. Changed the thermo switch. Still the same issue.
    Figured nothing was getting through for the fan sensor to measure. So i asked my mechanic to change the thermostat.

It would be good for PM anyway. It still had the original thermostat. Considering the car is left alone for weeks on end I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Problem gone.

I think I will change all the fans son for pm as well. Hope this is your issue.

22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yeah, it could be the thermostat. I seriously doubt it is anything electrical and the thermoswitch clearly still works. They are insisting that they ran it and it is fine. I just know I'm going to be calling the flipping tow truck again. I guess I'll just drive in circles around the shop LOL

23. pv908

pv908 Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul V
    I forgot to mention the are actually 2 thermostats. I don't know why. But it may be that one is for each side of the system.

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    may be the left thermostat is not ok. then the warm water only gets to the right radiator. and there is no thermoswitch. so the engine will get to warm