1994 512TR value? | FerrariChat

1994 512TR value?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by syldog, Jul 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    I am contemplating parting with my 512tr. 12K miles, Yellow/black. Tubi. Major 2.5 years ago. Excellent condition in and out. Just trying to get a feel for the market. I have been looking at asking prices for cars similar to mine but wanted to get peoples feedback from here. If I decide to sell I will post in the classifides here. This is just to see if it's worth my time. I do not need to sell for financial reasons, just considering a change. Thanks for any input.

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    75 - 85

3. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Car sounds nice, services not due, and giallo is pretty rare.

This sounds like a 'realistic' price range, with 75 being on the 'deal' side and 85 being closer to what mortals expect to pay.

Plus, being a 94, you have more bragging rights than previous years since a) the last of the last and especially if b) it has the uprated diff carrier. (Threads that show this number are on Fchat somewhere.)

You looking at replacing this wonderful rare piece? Or just clearing out the garage?

4. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    Gonna replace it with something, just not sure what yet. I find it hard to believe it's not woth $100K though. For the numbers you both mentioned I will not sell the car. I know of 2 other 512tr's personally that had double my miles and then some that sold for 85K in the past year. Thank you for your input though, but if that's truly the case I'll just keep it and add to my collection. Again thank you.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    dont sell it for less than 100k. as a matter of fact, just dont sell it. add something else to have a change, but if finances are not an issue, just keep it. thats what i did....but then again i seem to be keeping nearly everything !

6. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i've seen a couple at dealers with similar stats for about 90k. maybe cuz it's a 94 you could ask low 90s.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have a 94 with 16,000 miles, MINT and wldnt sell it for less than 100K, i agree with ross, keep the car...its awesome!

8. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    First off, if you have real sales results, you have more than I have. So, I'd go with 'results' over speculation. But if you keep the car...

As a '94 TR owner, I applaud this move. My response was based on market doldrums and perhaps 'failure to launch' appreciation. I feel that will come. The cars are TOO GOOD not to come into their own value-wise.

So, hats off to you, and keep it off the market if you feel the intrinsic value is higher (I sure do). Let the demand outrstip the minimal supply!

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #9 ross, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
    i just drove from geneva to grasse and back last weekend, in a heatwave and some mega traffic. but when there wasnt traffic i was hitting 150mph easily and comfortably- no drama. the car behaved flawlessly.
    i got looks everywhere. the car has immense presence and screams ferrari. i was parked next to a 599 at the hotel and i was the one attracting the crowd.
    no point in selling something like that for lexus money

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In that case it is worth $100,000.00 because that is what it will take to buy it. :) My 91 tr is worth $80,000 because I won't sell it for less. the market is all over the place and I really think the TR market is being driven down by people who are having firesales and can't let the car sit for 6 months to a year for sale. Long term this is good because I think the people buying TRs for 40K won't maintain them and they will become parts cars.

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    WRONG - there will be 1,000 threads on fchat on how to fix them (for free) and then everyone high fiving everyone on what a great DEAL they got for 40 grand. too many DONKEYS around

already many 45K TRs that people have that think they are driving a real TR .. they would never make it a parts car, they would rather add a GM parts to them if they can McGiver them ;) you know what im talking about - you feel me brother :)

12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I see both sides of it. I wouldn't sell under 100. I won't buy over 100 either.

So, call it 100. Put it out higher and see what happens.

13. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    There was a nice looking 92 just sold on BJ in OC for only 55K.

Black, Black

My brother was there and he said it was all in order, receipts, miles around 15K.

$55,000.

The dealer in Indiana has a killer, low mile 93 or 94 with an ask around 90K. Low miles. Course he has been trying to sell it for 2+ years

14. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    #14 syldog, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010

I believe you are refering to the black/grey 1992 512tr that sold at Orange County BJ auction for $61,600. This is the only one showing up in the archives for the past 2 years. My appologies if I'm mistaking. Also, that black/black one in Indiana is a 1992 and has been all over the map and for sale for YEARS. I called about it before I bought mine and the people that had it then were vague at best about service etc. but did tell me they thought it had paint work on the hood/roof. Go figure. Perhaps this is why it's been sitting forever.

15. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Good info Syldog. (I always want to call you 'sly dog' but you're tripping me up!) So, is the $61,600 sans '10% buyer premium'? If so, that's $67k in transaction money. This, at an admittedly sub-market auction.

Funny, I also checked the Indy car before I got mine. Felt negative vibes on it as well. Painted on roof and sail panel as I recall. Simpleton analysis from me is if it's been for sale THAT long, there's a reason.

Honestly, the more we talk about it, the more valuable they're becoming! I would NOT sell mine for under 90. After a year of ownership, I just bought it a set of luggage, so the honeymoon continues.

16. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    Yes AHudson, I get 'SLYDOG' all the time! LOL I try to keep current on assets I own. I believe my car to be worth about $105K, and believe it or not it's because of the color! Not many yellow 1994 512tr's around, period!

17. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I believe the 94 is the holy grail of TR's. What they're selling for is not important unless you have to sell. Point is that all cars are selling lower than we like because it appears to be "have to" sales. Finacial, bad economy, lost employment, etc. A "want to" sale will be whatever the seller thinks it worth. And with only approximately 50 units in this country you kind of get to name your game. Yes I'm bias, but there is no way period I would even consider selling my 94TR for less than 130k. Overpriced? not in the slightest. It's what its worth to me.and at that Id' really have to think about it.
    Oh, what 12cyl ferrari mid engine can you buy that looks and performs like this. one you can drive daily if you wish. what ferrari is the most likely to go up in value because of being the last flat rear 12? Diablo? fantastic car it's just not a Ferrari'
    Keep the TR. Imagine in a few years when the economy comes back.
    Just my opinion
    Daniel

18. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    After all these wonderful comments, I went to the TR last night to drive it home. Oops, dead battery. My fault.

Hooked up the charger on 2 amps, went this morning, twisted the key, 'vrooom! and we were off. Okay, not without the requisite 5 minutes idling, then[I/I] we were off.

These cars just spring foward, smooth as elasticized silk in power delivery. Clack, clack, through the gears. What a rush, and the lookers really seem to enjoy the car's presence.

Me too.

I agree that the 94s are the holy grail. IF the owner can be patient selling and wait on a buyer who appreciates the specialness of these cars, the higher price is worth it. I retract my earlier price 'guess', made mostly in response to current market negativity.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    throw a capristo level 3 on the 94s and its a religious experience!

20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #20 AHudson, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    Haven't heard Capristo, but Tubi on mine gives me chills. Something about that flat 12 ripping through gears is just musical.

Ricky, did you give a 'value' range on this thread? (I know you said 'not less than 100k' but wondered about how you'd hit the OPs car on the market.) You may be the most recent purchaser. Plus you seem an astute buyer. Any comments?

21. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Just keep it & continue to add to your collection. I would agree with the value of 75- 85. Maybe in the distant future it will be worth a gazillion buck :) that you can pass onto your kids. There are only around 2200 512TRs, even less for the 94. Not exclusive like the 512M, but pretty rare - even in the Ferrari world. Don't forget to keep on driving it in the interim since it's going to depreciate regardless of the fact - so you might as well enjoy it.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #22 ttforcefed, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    thnx for the compliment but trust me im far from astuste!

me personally id pay 85 to 90 for it all day....if i loved yellow id be willing to go to 105 if its clean and passes inspection....that being said i love love love the 512tr...its a big f355...looks awesome, drives insane, sounds even better....that being said im not a fan of the 512M so for me its all about the 94 512tr! for me there is no other ferrari that merrits 100K the way the 512tr does.

at 125K to 135K i think the CS and 430s become too attractive...just my two cents and how i look at the different price points...for me 50 to 70K is f355 land, 70 to 85K is 360 land, 85 to 110K is 512tr land, 110 to 140K is CS and 430 land, 140 to 170K is 430 spider land, and once u get to 200K just becareful cuz whatever it is will be worth alot less in 3 yrs!
    :)

PS im a buyer of the 612 and any price between 120K and 300K...

23. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Uh, I'm sticking with the astute part! Great ranges on all, and agree with the assessment. Only thing you left out was the bargain-of-our-day 550's at 65-75k.

OT: I can put you on a friends 612 right now, NART blue with tan. I've no idea the price, but he's a mover.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #24 ttforcefed, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Wholesale is prob 70k but I would hold for 100k. Very few buyers right now and in the near future. I think 90k is a fair deal to both buyer and seller today. They could go lower as the TR did and is. Its just life. I don't expect to make money on a car. Its one of the worst investments (newer ones). Look at the 430, 360 and 355. No power steering on the 512 so IMHO it is still too much like the tr to go higher in the future.