TR Power Steering | FerrariChat

TR Power Steering

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jratcliff, Jul 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    #1 jratcliff, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I said I was going to get started this weekend, but I've spent the weekend in the attic fixing AC plumbing. Lots of fun and added bonus of weight loss. Anyway I did take some shots of the power steering unit and cables. This is for a 512 TR, but my 91 TR has all the same steering components as a 512 TR so I should be good to go.

Next weekend I will get started on the mod and will have step by step pictures of the install.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Can't wait to see it! Nice!

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Interesting, because I wasn't aware that any of the 512 series came with PS from the factory.

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    They didn't. This is an aftermarket piece that seems to work well.

I wonder if this can be retrofitted to fit other cars.

5. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Adam is correct. This is aftermarket unit from a company in the Netherlands called EZ Powersteering. The parts are all quality parts mostly from NSK. One of the problems is this is really not a kit. There are no instructions or anything like that, so I am the guinea pig here and will chronicle as best I can the install.

It has some very interesting features like the ability in having speed variable assist and it has a fail safe system that if the system fails for any reason there is a break away clutch on the motor that will allow it to function as non assisted.

John

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I am rooting for you John! I wonder if i could make this work on a Lamborghini Diablo. The 512TR steering is much easier that an early Diablo.

7. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    This is great... If this works, most likley I will consider it too.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    It DOES work for me already more than one year !

I posted lots of info here .....!

This small unique NL firm can make this steering assist for any car; I have seen it in a RR of 1934, Bugatti's etc...

They need always one car as proto to make the separte parts; my 512TR was the prototype for this set...

But f.i. they have not yet prototyped the (before 1990) TR version... the steeringcolumn
    is different from the later versions...

So: I hope John will provide us with a good overview; have a good look here!

9. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Thanks Adam. I hope to get at least half as good as you at documenting this. I start off with the best intention but I start getting some headwind and soon forget to take pictures. I will be going slower this time.

As for the Diablo I'm not sure of the interface between the wheel and floorboard. I would say nothing is impossible, but what needs to be made is another thing.

John

10. Mobiel

Mobiel Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Mijnsheerenland (NL)
    Full Name:
    Wouter
    It is a good system indeed. I have mounted it on a few Morgans, (from 1978 up to 2009 models) and it works great! Only thing is that for Morgans all cars we did have been different untill now, so they can't make a set to send out. They always need the original parts before they can make the set in the correct way.

11. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Any updates?

12. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
  13. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Still in the process. I am having to make new mounts since the ones that work for a 512TR will not work on a TR.

John

14. stevesharleys

stevesharleys Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    steve travis
    If you can take some pictures of your set up as you progress for us fellow fabricators.This is the exciteting stuff to do to the car if it works well and if it does not at least we know.Thank you.Please keep me posted.

15. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Thanks John... really interested with the results!

16. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hey, I've taken pictures and I am re-designing the bracket. I will note what the differences are and what I went though to get to a successful conclusion.

John

17. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sorry for the long delay, but about 6-7 weeks ago I decided to semi-retire. I should have just sold the business since I have been busy every day. Anyway I can tell you that I was successful in being the first (that I know of for a Testarossa) to install power steering. I know that Melvok has his in the 512TR, but typical with Ferrari everything is different on a Testarossa.

I had to re-design and remake all the mounts. I had to cut and reweld the the telescoping universal joint. I had to make room everywhere. So today I had only a few wires left to hook up so I just temporarily hook them up and started the car. Sitting still with 18" wide front tires I could easily turn the smaller steering wheel with one hand.

Next I will finalize the wiring and beautify the harness. Then take it out and set the speed control. I should have a complete write up in a couple of weeks (business cooperating). On a Testarossa this is not a modification for the timid. You should have good mechanical skills and be prepared to remake all the mechanical mounts.

John

18. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    WOW! One hand! Great job!

19. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Adam,
    It made a huge difference. The cool part is it has a rheostat that you can use to determine how much assist you want. Then you have push button that use once you get to the speed you want to stop the assist. Then when you drop 2 mph under that it starts the assist again. I believe on the 512TR it would be a much easier install since it was original designed for it.

In hind sight I would have taken more of the dash apart since this was really the hard part (being 6'1" & 230 lbs). There is little room under the dash.

John

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi John, congratulations... you have the first TR in Universe with powerassist !

As I have the first 512TR with this nice piece of Dutch craftmanship.

There are now 4 other 512TR's with it in Europe...

Your set was created for the 512TR so you had to change it... and succeeded.

Steering with these wide rims with only one hand ... a great pleasure NOW !

Please show us - if available- some pictures and if ready some description.

Gr
    Mel in NL (Europe)

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Ok, John, what will you charge to install mine? haha Actually, I am really serious : )
    We are both in Texas. I would be glad to assist.

22. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Billy,
    Thanks for invite, but I wouldn't do this again for any amount of money. But, I don't mind giving you guidance on it. I would comment that Ferrari changed the components in the steering system several times and you never know until you see what you got to see what needs to be made. Really the hardest part is having the room to move under the dash. I'm 6'1' and about 230 lbs. In hindsight I would have removed everything I could to make room (drivers seat, dash, and several other things). While it sounds like a lot of work (it is) it will save you a lot of aggravation and bruised ribs. Was it worth it? Absolutely. You can pm me if your really interested and I wouldn't mind guiding you through the mind field. Electrical hook up is really easy, it's the mechanical that is very trying, since it is so hard to reach everything you need to reach. I still plan on showing the install pics with what I did to assemble this.

John

23. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Not quite accurate Mel.

My 87 model UK Spec Testarossa has hydraulic power steering.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hee Robert, great to hear .... did you ever share this with us ?

Did you make the powersteering yourself ?

25. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    G'day Mel,

Can't share all my secrets.

Keep your eyes and ears open. More info to come. I need to get that car up in the air soon and I'll post more info and pictures when I do that. Stand by.........