Testarossa to 512TR - differences? | FerrariChat

Testarossa to 512TR - differences?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mattnshilp, Dec 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn the differences between the earlier Testarossa models and the later 512TR and Testarossa type models.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything great.

I'm trying to learn to decide which direction to go in to make a Testarossa purchase, but my fund of knowledge is too limited right now to even consider making a purchase.

Thanks.

-Matt

2. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 JohnnyS, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Here are the upgrades for the 512TR over the Testarossa according to my new book Santa sent me on the history of Ferrari.

1. New cylinder heads, inlets and exhausts
    2. State of the art electronic injection and ignition management
    3. Power boosted to 421bhp
    4. Loss of 100lbs
    5. Top speed up to 195 mph
    6. Better fuel economy and lower emissions
    7. Clutch and trans were improved
    8. Suspension tweeked, larger brakes, larger wheels
    9. Steering was improved as well

hope this helps.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    This should answer your question at least as it pertains to the difference between a Testarossa and a 512TR. I made this list based on an article in Cavallino (Feb/March 1992) which compared the 512TR and Testarossa. There were also changes made in both vehicles throughout their manufacturing run. For example the differential was modified and strengthened in the later 512TRs and in 1994 ABS was added to the 512TR.

Engine- Block is still flat 12 boxer engine cast in light alloy, crankshaft still has seven main bearings, the cylinders still have four valves and each cylinder banks still has two overhead cams.
    1. Bore and stroke of 82mm by 78mm, 4942 cc capacity (unchanged);
    2. HP increased from 380hp SAE to 421, with most of the increase coming from a redesign of the intake manifolds, a repositioning of the injectors, and a recalibration of the injectors, and a recalibration of the engine management system, the later controlling the integrated electronic fuel injection system;
    3. Torque increased from 354lb ft to 360;
    4. 0-60mph, 5.7 sec to 4.8;
    5. Top speed- 180mph to 192;
    6. New cylinder liner manufactured in aluminum with Nikasil coating;
    7. New pistons due to larger intake valves;
    8. Increase in compression ratio (10.1 to1)
    9. Modified cylinder head gaskets due to a higher compression ratio and a different cylinder head coolant circulation layout;
    10. Reinforced camshafts of a new profile;
    11. Valve tappets with a new design bucket and springs;
    12. New intake valves of a larger diameter;
    13. Separate air boxes with filters, with a dynamic air intake;
    14. Longer and straighter air intake manifolds;
    15. Integrated electronic fuel injection system and ignition (Bosch Motronic 2.7) with self-diagnostic capabilities, and with ECU located in the cockpit;
    16. Double independent submergible fuel pumps;
    17. Exhaust manifolds with new layout;
    18. Metallic type pre-catalyst converters;
    19. Exhaust muffler with resonators and new heat shields;
    20. Aluminum oil radiator with U circulation and without fan, allowing for better permeability; aluminum tubing;
    21. Dual copper water radiators with U circulation in series and new aluminum tubing;
    22. Coolant expansion tank located between intake manifolds;
    23. More powerful alternator;
    24. Secondary air pump with new air distribution pattern.

Chassis- Up front, the chassis frame was strengthened around specific points; for example, the steering rack mounts and the front suspension mounts. Highly stressed frame pieces are made of special chromium-molybdenum steel. At the rear, the old engine sub frame has been done away with. To gain a noticeable increase in stiffness, the rear frame was made an integral part of the entire chassis. The engine is now lifted out from above. Around the passenger compartment, the steel platform, rear bench, front and rear firewalls, and pillars are all welded directly to the tubes of the chassis. End result is that chassis flex has been reduced by 25% and torsional rigidity has been increased by 12.5%. Other chassis specifics as noted by Ferrari:
    1. Weight reduction of 40kg/88lbs;
    2. Lower center of gravity;
    3. Reduction of unsprung weight;
    4. Steering points in aluminum alloy;
    5. New steering column shaft design;
    6. New steering rack with longer arms and more direct ratios;
    7. New steering moment offset;
    8. Bilstein gas shock absorbers with aluminum body and adjustable plate;
    9. New shock absorber settings;
    10. Lighter weight springs.

Gearbox and Differential
    1. Limited slip differential (40%) with reduced axial thrust to increase reliability;
    2. New transfer gear ratio;
    3. Strengthened transfer gears;
    4. New synchronizer pre-loading springs;
    5. Gear shift lever housing with sliding ball bearings;
    6. New selector and modified gear shift lever inclination;
    7. New single plate clutch with reduced inertia and asbestos free clutch linings;
    8. Entire gearbox and transmission strengthened throughout.

Brakes
    1. Larger front discs, 315mm x 32mm, with cross drilled braking surface;
    2. Larger rear discs, 310 mm x 28mm, with cross drilled braking surface;
    3. Aluminum calipers with larger pistons: front 44/40mm; rear: 40/36mm;
    4. New ducts for brake cooling;
    5. New brake proportioning valve;
    6. Brake pedal ratio is more direct;
    7. Redesigned hand brake with reduced application effort.

Wheels and Tires
    1. Front wheels increased from 16” to 8” x 18” with 235/40 ZR 18 tires;
    2. Rear wheels increased from 16” to 10.5” x 18” with 295/35 ZR 18 tires.

Styling Changes
    1. New trapezoidal shaped air intake scoops on front with prancing horse;
    2. Body colored front spoiler;
    3. New profile to the C pillar fins in the rear sections with elimination of vents in sail panels;
    4. Integral air intake slots added to the engine cover;
    5. Rear lights are now dual colored and a redesign of the underbumper to change aesthetics of the exhaust system and exhaust outlets.
    6. Wheels redesigned;
    7. Interior restyled with elimination of center console and repositioning of the corresponding instruments under the central part of the dashboard.
    8. Door panels and armrests have been changed.

4. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    this is really good info.

kuwait355 likes this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Why did the F factory make all these very important upgrades .....?

Go for a 512TR I would say (as I did....).

Gr from Mel in NL(Europe).

6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I'm with Mel. Buy a 512TR and drive it like you stole it.

7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Honest question.

Yeah, I get all the upgrades :eek: WOWZERS !!!!!

But if you are not going to track the car or drive it "like you stole it" IS a TR REALLY worth the premium over the earlier versions?

I do live in Germany and triple digit speeds (when legal) are nothing ... even though I very rarely go that fast. I get passed by OLD VW GTIs while in the 308 for ge-man-intly sakes.

I would like to own one someday as it is the upper limit of anything I could hope to afford. My real Dream Machines (F40 and Contach) are now and will forever be out of my price range .... :(

kuwait355 likes this.
  8. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    For me, I never even considered the testarossa. After learning of all the changes and improvements, the 512TR became a focus. The upgrades were/are more than worth the cost differential. I have greatly enjoyed mine.

I hope this won't come off as preachy, but if you say they will 'forever' be out of your price range, it greatly increases the chances they will be. Believe.

The list of changes given here, plus in the book I got last Christmas on the testarossa, TR, and 'M' are great eye openers. To be honest, I think the list Lloyed just gave might've been more detailed! Thanks.

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    AHudson,

Not preachy at all. Actually appreciate the sentiment.

I am 50 yrs old. I have some .... uh .... health issues. In all honesty, just 15 years ago I would probably not be here now. My working life is now much shorter than I could have imagined.

I am merely trying to be realistic, since I don't play Lotto ...... :D

I concur with your "Believe." My "believe" in my life got me plenty of Championships (competitive rifle shooting) and my 308.

Thanx for the honest feedback on the TR.

Greatly appreciate it.
    [tips hat]

root likes this.
  10. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I've owned both the Testarossa and currently the TR512. As I use the car mostly for long-distance driving, I find, rather regrettably, that the suspension on the Testarossa seems to be slightly softer, although this could be a subjective impression. Being softer, it was more comfortable on a 700 mile journey.

In other respects, the 512 changes do give the car a more modern feel. The seats are more 'bucket' and less prone to sliding you around in corners. The Testarossa had a spare tire, lacking in the 512, but as the tire only fits either front or back, but not both, it was always going to be a hit or miss affair if a blowout occurred.

The car is currently undergoing its 60,000+ mile service. The service center has a new workshop and while I was being shown around, I noticed the engine-and-rear-wheel assembly which had been dropped out of one of the 300 series. I was told that this is how the Testarossa's engine unit is lowerd in order to change the belts, whereas with the 512 the engine is lifted out from the top, as has been mentioned. From the grin on the technician's face, I rather think that this is the more expensive option. I would be happy to be told otherwise.

Like Mark, I have driven on German autobahns in areas where speed limits do not apply. Mark's comment about being overtaken in his 308 is one I can echo. In the Testarossa, I touched 140 mph, but was overtaken not just by Porsches, but by BMW and Audi and this and that,and so on. It's quite unnerving.

mwr4440 likes this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now post the list for the 512M.....:D :D

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Wow, quite the list - best I've ever seen.

You forgot a couple of differences from the early TRs:

1 - Dual lower mirrors (no single flying mirror)
    2 - Mouse belts

;)

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #13 Rifledriver, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    A lot of it is marketing BS but there is no question it is a very different car. Ferrari told us before they were even released that they had made a serious mistake with them by not redesigning the car. It simply looked like a facelift of the same old car and that is what everone thought. They stayed away from the dealers in droves not to buy them because most felt they already had a good TR why trade for monochromatic version of the car they already had?

They also introduced sticky interior parts in the 512.

14. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #14 Mattnshilp, Dec 14, 2010
    Wow, thanks guys!

This forum never ceases to amaze me... The amount of information available from people who love sharing is just incredible!

So it's clear that the 512TR is a "better" car then the older Testarossa. And if budget permits, it's a no brainer to go that route...

I am saving for a Dino 246GT also. So I guess I need to make some decisions since the 512TR's seam to be going for a lot more than the Testarossa's are going for...

If I go along the lines of newer is better, I should just stick with my 360 and never look at any older models since my 360 Modena is more powerful, faster, easier to maintain and a more recent model...

Any opinions from Pre-512TR Testarossa owners who prefer their older Testarossa over a 512TR?? Lots of people love their 308's and the 308 can't compare to a TR from a performance standpoint...

And where is the best source for TR's these days? There are some on Autotrader and some on Ebay, but I'm hesitant to go in that direction unless you guys say it's safe...

Thanks all!

-Matt

15. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Matt,
    Why don't you go and try driving both a TR and a 512? That way you can judge by yourself if the more $ a 512 cost is ok for you.
    I decided to get a TR and I am very happy with it. And I also have a 328 that is supposed to be to the 308 what the 512 is to the TR.
    And one thing for sure is that I will not go on the 3X8 section saying that the 328 is sooo much better than the 308. I'll get flamed! Each one of these cars has its own personnality.
    Ask what the 550 owner think about us TR/512/M owner. They'll probably say we're a bunch of has been ;)
    If you read a little around this forum a lot of people are raving about the flying mirror of the TR...So what's the best Ferrari? The next one? I'd rather think its the one you've dreamed about for X number of years and is now in your garage.
    My 2 cents.

16. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    When I was 13 (1984) I had a poster on my wall of a beautiful Ferrari Testarossa. On the adjacent wall was a matching poster of a Testarossa with the insides exposed (you know the one, the graphic with the engine and interior visible). On the other adjacent wall, was a picture of a white Countach, next to a poster of Samantha Fox!!!

My shelves where covered with models of a 308, 328, a Countach, a Porsche 911 and a Testarossa.

I need to eventually put a TR in my stable!

Aren't we pathetic?!?

-Matt

SingleClutch and mexicruiser like this.
  17. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Nah! Our kids have Lady Gaga...Mega bummer in 30 years!! :D

18. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #18 Mattnshilp, Dec 14, 2010
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=5658

It's on an ad in our Ferrari-Ad section.

It's looks really nice, and is well priced. I don't love that its being sold by a dealer (always pay too much). And I really don't like that it only has about 14K miles. And only 900 miles in the past year... Less driving means maintanance is even more important!!! But the car does look and sound very appealing!

Any opinions?

-Matt

19. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    Back several years ago I decided to purchase a Testarossa to compliment my 348TS. So I ended up in Denver to look at a 91 model Testarossa with 5,000 miles, mint condition. I drove the car and was impressed by the power and torque. I was definitely in the negotiation stage at this point to purchase the car. However, After the test drive we ended up back at FOD where the sales guy asked, "have you ever considered a 512TR over the Testarossa?" I told him I did not think there was that much difference in the cars. So what happened next, he let me drive a 512TR that was not for sale. BACK TO BACK TEST DRIVES on the same roads. The difference was staggering and substantial enough that I set off on the quest to by a 512TR. I purchased a 1993 a few months later and never regretted my decision. ...and it is still a great car...

20. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I think there were several events beyond Ferrari's control that hurt sales of the 512TR;

- the exotic car market crashed in 1990.
    - the 10% luxury tax on automobiles sold in the U.S. began in 1990.
    - a global resession started in 1991.

IMHO

Joe

21. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have owned both and still own a '94 512. The 512 drives like a modern car and the tr doesn't. There is a big difference in the two cars. I also like the seating a lot better in the 512. Brakes are waay better.

22. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Cavallino #85 Feb/Mar 1995

Style-----
    - Ellipsoidal headlights
    - NACA intakes for climate control
    - Reshaped bumper
    - 5 spoke propeller function wheels
    - Classic Ferrari style rear lamps
    Bodywork-----
    - synergically integrated aerodynamics on all body surfaces including
    the "6th Face" underside for high speed stability
    - Front bumper wind tunnel tested & matched for balanced loads with
    the underside
    - Front ducts for brake cooling
    Chassis-----
    - Chromium-molybdenum tubular frame
    - Race derived suspension
    - Rear twin parallel dampers
    Interior------
    - Newly designed steering wheel
    - Aluminum shift knob
    - Racing pedals
    - High efficiency designed climate control combined
    with NACA ducts for stable and homogeneous distribution
    - R134a refrigerant
    Engine-------
    - 180 degree 12 cylinder (312 T Formula One inspired)
    - 301.6 Cubic Inches
    - Bore/Stroke 3.23 x 3.07 in.
    - Compression 10.4:1
    - 432 bhp @ 6750 rpm
    - 367 lbs @ 5500 rpm
    - Variable pitch valve springs with potential to 10,000 rpm
    - Forged aluminum alloy pistons
    - Connecting rods Ti6A14V titanium alloy
    - 7 journal lightened crank
    - Nickasil coated wet liners
    - Bosh Motronic M 2.7
    - Dry sump w/ twin scavenge, 1 pressure pump with thermostatic valve
    - Stainless insulated exhaust
    - California OBD1 compliant
    Transmission------
    - 5 speed plus 1 reverse synchromesh
    - synchronizers updated, transfer gear ratio shortened to match
    higher engine HP output

Weight: 3700 lbs
    0-60: 4.7
    Top Speed: 196 mph

75 Units only for USA market
    501 Units for market outside USA
    and 1 Slutmobile(USA) :D

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Brian Crall put it best for a 512TR, "100% car for 40% more money".
    I would love to have a LATE 512 TR with the factory -M differential upgrade.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Matt, be brave and offer $K 75 !

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    night/day.
    the 512tr is still my favorite car for a nice long distance jaunt.
    speed, power, poise, presence, good sound, comfy seats, aircon that works, wow factor 10. its got it all and you dont feel like somebody beat you up at the end of the trip.