Testarossa clutch | FerrariChat

Testarossa clutch

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by clayateces, May 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    I have an 86 with 7800 very mild miles on it and all services have been performed..however last week..I noticed when I let the clutch out in 1st ..it delayed for like 2-3 seconds after I had released the clutch.???
    Then I noticed a slight slip could be initiated by slightly stepping into it, if i stood on it it seemed to slip slightly and then grab as normal?
    I took the car out again 2 days ago and it was fine until I went to ease into the garage...??..back to the the delay..
    What should I be looking for?..Is the slave low and in need of bleeding or am I looking at something serious..
    Thanks for anyone's comments.
    Clay

2. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Clay,
    If you're not sure the oil level is correct, just check it.
    However, a low oil level or air in the system would cause a problem with dis-engaging the clutch, not engaging it.
    It seems like something is sticking, maybe the throw out bearing, and not sliding back to let the clutch engage when you release the pedal.
    I'm sure you'll have plenty of answers, so don't panic just yet.
    John

3. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    John,
    Thanks for the reply, it did not quite occur to me that I'm probably looking at this backwards...the bearing not releasing sounds releasing due to ??? is worth investigating..I'll see what other responses come thru but big THANKS!
    Clay

4. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    I just went and looked at the fluid levels under the hood were at the minimum.. and I tested it out in the roadway...1st I just let it run till it warmed up and pumped the clutch in and out many times while I waited..it had no real feel to it as though it was not moving anything, which could be normal as it is hydraulic..
    Then when I went to back out it would barely move...I could put the emergency break on and let the clutch out and feel a minor motion but it would not move the car.??

After giving it some throttle I it was like delayed when I let the clutch out by 3-5 seconds before the car began to move.....
    Same going forward..I got it to finally move some and stood on the throttle which slipped for about 3-5 seconds and then launched like nothing was wrong...
    Then you smell the clutch and to turn around it was the same scenario where it would barely move..so i eased it back into the garage....
    What should I be looking at and what are the possibilities..ANY HELP would be much appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    Clay

5. Michael Everson

Michael Everson Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    Norton, MA USA Earth
    Full Name:
    Michael Everson
    Just a guess, but maybe the clutch is worn to a point wher it wont grab until it expands due to heat. As its slipping its getting very hot and probably growing just enough to grab.

I have never understood the short clutch life on Ferrari cars. Is it due to there small diameter? I have had clutches in other cars last the lifetime of the car.

6. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    If your fluids are normal levels, your TO bearing is sticking. I had the same issue it got worse within time. Don't go to far without having it inspected.

7. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    Was there any particular reason? My car has been flawless in shifting etc until the last week??

I mean it has never had so much as any slippage and then all of a sudden and it makes no noise.. That sound like yours??

Anyone else???
    Thanks!!
    Clay

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #8 Shamile, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
    Dear Ferraristi,

Lets start simple. If you have some mechanical expertise, you should bleed the clutch line thoroughly. The fluid at the back of the clutch is right next to the exhaust system and is in a very harsh environment. Even though it may be clear at the reservoir, it will be pitch black at the bell housing.

Bleed the system with new fluid until clear fluid comes out the bleed screw.

Now, you say your fluids were at a "minimum" Fill to max and see if the level goes down.

Report back and tell us what you find.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

9. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    #9 clayateces, May 30, 2011

OK will do....yes I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm not too afraid to try ..however does the bleeding process require 2 persons?? (I've done it on motorcycles solo but unfortunately this is a reach)
    Also, do the brakes use the same reservoir..? and therefore all the corners will need to be bled as well?
    lastly, it calls for DOT 3 ..I have 5 and 5.1.. (5.1 is compatible with the 3 as it's non synthetic) or..should I stay with the 3 spec..?

I really feel like the throw out bearing is not releasing to apply the pressure plate against the clutch's..does the shaft get corroded or something the bearing rides on?

I'm praying it's not a clutch..as it has no real miles and was working great until I just decided to drive it to the store and noticed a delay when I let out the clutch..then I could make it slip by going up to 3 or 4th and lightly throttle it..

Then my son drove it 2 days later and it drove perfect until he eased it into the bay and felt the slip...

Thats all for now until I can go start the bleeding once I get a few answers on the above...PLEASE Help!
    Thanks,
    Clay

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

OK, you can bleed the clutch by yourself. I just bought a pump bleeder from Griot's garage and it sure make life easy but you can do the clutch old school.

The reservoir for the brakes and clutch are one. Use Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 That's a good all round fluid...recommended by Evans Automotive ( #1 Lamborghini shop on the east coast)

When you bleed the clutch, make sure the fluid is kept up to the top. When you pull the carpet back over the reservoir, you Will see the clutch line (very close to the top of the reservoir) go to the master cylinder.

At the back of the bell housing, attach a line to the bleeder and end in an old bottle...Starbucks frappichino bottle works well.

Make sure you have some fluid in the bottom of the bottle. This way, fluid may be sucked back up the line...not air.

After you have the above set up, open the bleeder screw a small amount. Pump the clutch...NOT the brakes :D ....and watch the level drop. As soon as it drops the slightest, fill to the brim and pump again. You will keep doing this until the fluid coming out is ABSOLUTELY clear.

Try the above and report back. Also, while you're near the bell housing...look for any fluid dripping out the bottom of the bellhousing. If so...you have a blown slave cylinder seal. Not really a big deal...but first things first....

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

11. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    #11 Cornbread, May 30, 2011
    Damn if that is not a great description. Well done.

That's part of why this place is great. While I am not a very experienced mechanic, I can make any thing from wood and know how tools and machines work.

With guidance like this I will not hesitate to work on my Ferrari when it arrives, soon I hope. As in this year. :D

It will be a TR or Mondial, two totally differnt cars, both horsies.

12. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    #12 Testarossa Lover, May 30, 2011
    Yes, sounds just like mine. Don't panic, TO is not expensive and it is easy to repair. You will not need to replace your clutch in most casses.

13. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH ..I'm Busted Frozen again!!! hahahah!
    Let you know later this week.
    Sincerely,
    Clay

14. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    #14 JTR, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
    :D That is a wonderfully clear and precise instruction on bleeding the clutch.
    But for a clutch that won't engage when you release the pedal, I don't believe it will fix the situation.
    Basically, if you didn't have a drop of oil in your clutch system, the clutch would still be fully engaged, and wouldn't release when you pushed in the clutch pedal.

So go ahead and bleed it as Shamile suggests, and if it works, Great!

If that doesn't work, it can't be too hard to figure out as the clutch system isn't that complicated.
    Pushing the clutch pedal in simply pressurizes oil to to slide the throw-out bearing forward into the fingers on the pressure plate to release the clutch.
    Letting out on the clutch pedal simply releases the pressure on the oil, which allows the throw-out bearing to slide back, which in turn releases the pressure on the pressure plate fingers, and allows the clutch to engage.

With the above in mind, if the clutch is not engaging when you let out on the pedal, either of these three are a possibility;
    For some reason, the throw out bearing is not sliding back to allow the clutch to engage.

There is an obstruction in the oil line that is not allowing the pressurized oil to de-pressureize thus allowing the clutch to engage when you let up on the pedal.

The clutch itself is fried, and there is not enough friction material on it to allow reliable engagement.

Let us know the result of the system bleeding, and we'll go from there..

If you're not familar with the clutch set up, look through this thread. It's obviously a Boxer, and the throw out bearing is somewhat different, but it'll give you a basic idea.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168509&highlight=Clutch+Replacement

John

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Hi JTR, I agree something is binding up but I like to eliminate the small stuff first. I think that it's odd that the clutch is slipping...especially at that low mileage.
    Even if you had fluid leakage, this would affect the release as there's not enough fluid to push the clutch fingers completely in. Since the clutch fingers push back on the TO Bearing.... If the slide was hanging up, I would imagine, the downward pressure on the clutch pedal would be significant??

Let's see what comes out of the clutch bleed line. I change all my fluids (except oil and gear) once a year. You wouldn't believe how black the clutch fluid is at the rear...while the reservoir is totally clear.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

16. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    Thanks for the reply..it opens up a few more things to consider and overall is a good comment and I appreciate it.
    Clay

17. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Rubber seals inside the clutch housing gave way spewing fluid all over the clutch and plates causing slippage.. I would follow as Shamile stated then if that does not work disassemble and see what you got.. I would not be so quick to buy a clutch at this time. Did you look in the peep hole to see if its moist with fluid? I hope all goes well.. Keep us posted.

R

18. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Shamile, yes, I agree 100% that would cause a problem Releasing the clutch, (like to shift gears).

The way I read the problem is that Clay is having trouble Engaging the clutch, (to make the car go)?

Maybe I'm reading his post wrong? (wouldn't be the first time!):D

John

19. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    John, you are reading it ..I plan to flush as recommended, there are no leaks anywhere I can see so far..(meaning a drop on the floor or all over the housing...)
    The clutch depresses fine as always, and feels the same on the release as always...At start up, just when you begin to let it out nothing really happens and if you let it out completely it acts as though it has a 3 second delay before the motor get a load from the clutch....step on the throttle any and you get slippage during the initial take off..
    Stand on the throttle, and hang on it slips slightly and then hooks up and goes as it should..?? ( smells like hell from the clutch ..only done this 2X) I've only driven the car 2X since it did this for the 1st time 2 weeks ago..total probably 15 miles and parked it ..
    Anyway...thats kinda the rest of the notes that may offer any insight..Cannot wait to work on it this week end and hopefully get good news!!
    Thanks everyone for your comments and directions.
    Clay

20. jasonporsche

jasonporsche Karting

May 7, 2007
    auburn, al
    Full Name:
    jason gautney
    Clay, I live in Auburn and used to own an 88.5 and just sold my 360. I have worked on these for a while and would be happy to help. PM me anytime.

21. 208vol

208vol Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Russellville
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Any updates? I'm having a very similar problem on my 85 with 27k miles. It's acting if something is not allowing the TO bearing to release. Any experiences????

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just open it !! And have a look .... :)

23. clayateces

clayateces Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Clay Davies
    The more I tried to drive the worse it got..I could give it a lot of throttle and it seemed to try and hook up as it should but this began to diminish as well...so..
    I tried the flush 1st to see if maybe there was something in the lines that was not allowing the fluid to do it's job so i completely flushed all the fluid and replaced it after bleeding everything etc.....unfortunately that did not do it and was not the case..
    If anything it might have made it worse...no alternative but to open it up and see and the clutch disc had glazed (likely from those times I stood on the throttle to try and get it to engage..which it would, but at the expense of the disc..)
    So a new twin disc and T/O bearing and she was as good as new..just wish my wallet felt the same..(it actually did feel new now that I think about it because it was empty when I bought my wallet)..I would have someone experienced to look at it and determine the cause to potentially avoid other problems in advance...sorry mine was not something simple that I could have done..the comments in the column helped me determine my steps and appreciated the input..Good luck with yours..Clay

24. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Once your in there Clay you might just find its a simple case of greasing the splined shaft, lets hope so.

P

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #25 Melvok, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017