86 Testarossa intermittent starting issue, PLEASE HELP! | FerrariChat

86 Testarossa intermittent starting issue, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mdt424, Feb 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello! I have a 1986 TR that is having starting issues that are increasingly getting worse. At times she fires right up, then there are times I have to turn her over numerous times eventually getting her started but running rough, seemingly not on all cylinders. Here's how I get her to fire, turn her over fires up normally then dies, wait five minutes, turn her over, fire's up for a little longer...continue this process for 10 to 15 times & she'll run, but roughly. Next time I get in to start her she could start up & run fine or I have to go through the "starting process", very random. I am fairly mechanical but this is frustrating me! Seems to me to be electrical but I'm not ruling out a fuel issue. A side note & I don't know if it's related, some times after I get her started the "slow down 1-6" warning light is on & the temp gauge is still on zero. ??? I use to use a "national" brand fuel stabilizer that I was told was originally not made to be used with "ethanol enhanced" fuel which is all we have in northern Michigan. Could this be the problem? The nearest Ferrari dealer is 6hrs away so it would be great if someone could help me out! Thanks for any advice! Mark

2. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I suspect that you have a china syndrome fuse box. Do a search on "china syndrome" and "white connectors" then go look at your fuse box and compare.

After that there are many other things to check but the fuse box is a VERY good place to start.

Report back.....

HTH

P

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    Please stop doing that! If it is a US version TR, most likely you have a bad/intermittent protection relay (or a bad/intermittent connection), and you are not getting +12V power to run the KE-Jet injection system (and the system goes "lean" -- so by cranking it over so many times, and waiting the ~5 minutes between cranking to let the TTS cool off, the Cold Start Injector is puddling liquid fuel in the intake plenum and, eventually, increases the overall richness enough to get it going). Do a search on "TR red wire protection relay", and read those ~15 threads (and threads that they might reference). If you need more help (or have a non-US TR) or confirm that you do have +12V on the red wire, but still have this runability problem, please give a shout back.

4. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    For both suggestions! I will do my homework & get back to you!

5. fast eddy

fast eddy Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Ed Davenport
    Also check that the vacuum hose is connected to the module direcly above the drivers side rear wheel houseing. I had inadvertantly knocked it off while under the hood. It ran very roughly for a couple minuits, and had decreased power, till I noticed the disconnected hose.

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thats the vacuum hose for the ignition ecu.. I would check the connections under the ignition coils - those plugs are problematic. Also check the plugs under the coolant tank.

R

7. cgr512

cgr512 Rookie

Feb 27, 2006
    Does it act like vapor lock? could be the fuel check valves.

8. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Does not vapor lock. Seems electrical to me. Will be at the car today & I will post my findings Thank you!

9. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have searched & searched (I'm still learning this page i admit) to find "TR red wire protection relay" threads & can not. Would you please post a link to this thread for me? I tried the 30 87 lead jump to the relay behind the fuse panel hoping for the "easy" fix & the car still won't stay running. I found a similar relay in the "black triangle" should I try the jump on this relay? ANY help is soooo appreciated! Thank you!

10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  11. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #11 mdt424, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    First the engine family is from the F113A

Random tests from exploring posts here reveal a couple things.

*Violet voltage while start/run is 12V which is correct I believe?

*Terminal 30 of the 10amp fused relay in the "triangle box" is 0V. From everything I've read this should be a constant 12V

*none of my "white connectors" have the infamous burnt marks.

*I have two sensors at the "water thermoswitch" no voltage to any of the four leads, key on or off.

*Vehicle starts (& dies) the same with the 10amp fused relay completely removed AND no jump lead...I'm not getting 12V to the relay?

Clues please! Thank you!

12. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #12 Mr.Chairman, Feb 16, 2012
    Check those plugs under the 7-12 iginition coil. Unplug them and give them a cleaning.. Do not use any grease.. Those plugs are problematic and give symtoms like your having. Check your ignition wires going to the coils as well. Have you done any work lately on this car... Cleaning etc.. That ignition coil sends the signal to the tachometric relay..

R

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Feb 16, 2012
    I'm not going to believe you because the F113A family doesn't have the black triangular box nor a protection relay ;) -- isn't it actually F113A040?

Assuming that you do have F113A040, not always having +12V on the GR (yellow/red) wire on terminal 30 is a fatal flaw (that will cause rough/lean running and very hard cold starting) and must be corrected. Have a look at the back of the starter solenoid -- the same large post that holds the +12V battery cable should also have a loop terminal mounted on it that has the small GR (yellow/red) wire. Sometimes this GR wire gets broken off the loop terminal. If that all seems OK, inspect the large round C12 connector on the black triangular box. The path of the GR (yellow/red) wire should go from that large post on the starter solenoid with the +12V battery cable -to- connector C12 -to- terminal 30 of the protection relay in the black triangular box -- i.e. terminal 30 of the protection relay (with the 10A fuse) MUST always be at +12V.

That's good, but don't worry about this area. Trouble here can cause a whole bank to shut down (like a dead fuel pump), but the engine would still run smoothly (but weakly) and not rough. It would also start OKish. This does not match your symptom.

The water thermoswitch is a single sensor on the Driver's side of the water "Y" fitting so I think that you are not measuring the right thing here:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

But since you are already inside the triangular black box, the "red wire" = terminal 87 on the protection relay so you can measure for the same thing there (but until you always get +12V on terminal 30 of the protection relay, doing this doesn't make sense).

Your (only) task for now is to always get +12V on the GR (yellow/red) wire on terminal 30 of the protection relay

14. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    First, Steve you are correct the TR is F113A040. So I had found the red/yellow at the solenoid, it was intact but I removed it anyway, cleaned it up, replaced it & behold! 12V at the red/yellow in the box! Thought the problem was solved! Not so lucky. She's doing the same thing. Jumped 30 to 87 WITH power, no difference. I read in one of Steve's threads that I needed to test 12V @ terminal 15 but it won't run long enough to to do this test.

Mr Chairman, removed all the connectors you suggested & more. All appear to be very clean & in great condition.

Philwozza, all my "white connectors" are in great shape as well.

Next, I love this car...WHEN IT RUNS!!!! Hahaha!

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You need to measure the voltage on terminal 30 when the current is not zero (i.e., with the 30-to-87 jumper in place -- but the engine need not be running). If you get +12V on terminal 30 without the jumper, but a low voltage on terminal 30 when the 30-to-87 jumper is in place, that indicates that you have a high resistance somewhere between the battery cable on the starter solenoid and the wire at terminal 30. Please remeasure as described (or confirm that you had +12V on terminal 30 when the jumper was in place, but still no joy).

16. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have 12V at terminal 30 with the jumper between 30 & 87. When I start her up & she run for that few seconds the exhaust is very rich with fuel. Thanks again!

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #17 Steve Magnusson, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    Are you saying that all is OK, or now you have a different symptom, and the car starts OK (and runs smoothly) but only for a few seconds (with the jumper in place)?

If it doesn't clear itself up (running with the jumper), then you do need to confirm/deny if you have +12V at terminal 15 of the protection relay socket A) during cranking and B) during the brief running period. Of course, this makes no difference for the protection relay because the jumper simulates a closed protection relay, but the ZB (violet/black) wire at terminal 15 also runs the fuel pump relays, and it could be +12V during cranking (key Pos III) which pressurizes the fuel system and 0V during the brief running period (key released to Pos II) -- so the engine dies after a few seconds as the fuel pressure falls.

18. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Steve, basically the same problem but she runs a few more seconds with the jumper it seems but the exhaust is much richer.
    She'll start up, run for 2-5 seconds the die. She'll do that twice the won't run at all. Let her sit a few minutes and the same thing happens.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #19 Steve Magnusson, Feb 17, 2012
    See my edited prior post -- now you need to confirm/deny if the tachometric relay (which feeds both the fuel pump relays and protection relay terminal 15) is working or not. The tachometric relay is behind the fuse-relay panel and you can do the same thing there -- i.e., use a jumper to connect terminal 30 to terminal 87 simulating a closed tachometric relay (and terminal 30 of the tachometric relay socket should always be +12V).

Also, you should check if you do, or don't, have spark on the 7/12 bank during cranking as no spark on the 7/12 bank will cause the same symptom -- tachometric relay works during starter motor cranking, but not when the key is released from crank (Pos III) to run (Pos II).

See this thread for TR tachometric relay information:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275332

20. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Steve,

Made a discovery!!! My lead reads 12v coming out of 30. The end of my jumper lead reads 12v at the other end so I know my lead is good. This is the weird part, as soon as I plug it into 87 it goes to 0V! Did some "rigg'in" to get 12v at 87 and SHE RAN!!!!!! God I love the sound of these cars! Sorry I'm excited!! Is it a connector problem? The connector seems to be in tact & in good shape.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not sure exactly what you are saying here (and assume that we are at the protection relay) -- if you mean that the end of the jumper (plugged into terminal 30) reads 12V when not plugged into terminal 87, but falls to 0V when it is plugged in to terminal 87, this indicates you have a bad (but not totally open) connection somewhere between the +12V battery cable and the terminal 30 wire as I stated before (and seems to contradict your #16 post). The suspects would be the terminal crimps to the wires, the contacts in C12, the harness, etc..

By "rigg'in", do you mean that you used another (known good) wire to bring +12V from somewhere else directly to the protection relay terminal 87 wire?

22. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Steve,

Reinstalled the 10amp fuse protected relay, pulled the Tachometric relay and jumped 30 to 87, back to the running for 2-5 seconds. Reinstalled the Tachometric relay, pulled the 10amp protected relay and she ran fine. I don't have a timing light but she's running very smooth, I have to believe 7 through 12 are firing as I've had a bank go out before & know how that feels.

23. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #23 mdt424, Feb 17, 2012
    Exactly what I mean. When I plug the lead into 87 it goes to 0v, as per post #16 My fault as I first failed to check my voltage at the end of my lead to verify it was good then. This morning it hit me that the lead could be bad so I tested it, then tested it again when I plugged it in and discovered the drop in voltage. The rigging was just taking a straight wire from 30 to 87 instead of a fuse protected lead, but as I stated the lead had 12v at the open end but for some reason wasn't delivering it to 87 even though there was contact tested through an ohm reading.

Borrowed a timing light from a friend & yes confirmed 7 through 12 have spark.

Also tested terminal 15 while running & the voltage fluctuates between 14 & 15 volts

24. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #24 Steve Magnusson, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not yet sure that I really understand your description nor if you have an intermittent problem or a bad protection relay:

1. If the engine always runs well with a known good jumper between terminal 30-to-87 at the protection relay socket, and the terminal 15 wire in the protection relay socket is at +12V (meaning whatever the alternator is putting out so 14~15V is fine) when the engine is running; but the engine will not run with the protection relay in place = probably bad protection relay.

2. If the engine sometimes runs OK with the 30-to-87 jumper in place, and sometimes not OK = wiring Gremlin.

Give a shout if you need something else, and here's the protection relay info just to add it to this thread (although, IIRC, it's been superceded to Stribel 92861512402):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. mdt424

mdt424 Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Harbor Springs MI
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Steve! Sorry of the confusion. She is always running well with the good jump lead. Off to find a relay & a drive soon after I hope!