Antifreeze | FerrariChat

Antifreeze

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Marty, Mar 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    About 6 years ago my '87 TR developed a water pump seal leak shortly after a flush and refill with Zerex G-05. It may have been a coincidence, but I am still feeling once bitten.

Now it's time to replace the coolant in my TR, but most off the shelf antifreeze now is of the extended life type. Is this safe to use, specifically the Prestone antifreeze that claims compatibility with all colors of antifreeze.

2. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Was the flush Pressurized?...also was the water pump seal original to the car ( never changed)?......Mark

3. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, it is safe and compatible. Drain your system, fill with water, run to circulate, drain again and fill up with 50/50 extended life (5 year) Prestone. Run the car to circulate for a while and check the freeze protection (when cooled down) using one of the floating balls tester or something similar. Enjoy the driving!

4. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    The water pump seal had been changed about 2 years before the switch to Zerex G-05. The flush was not pressurized and the leak developed about 3 months after the switch. I contacted Zerex and (of course) they had never heard of such a failure.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would call it a coincidence, coolant alone would not affect the water pump seal. Where was the leak coming from....at what specific spot did coolant actually leak out?

6. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    The entire area around the water pump was covered in leaking coolant. At least it gave me an excuse to do a belt service.

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Precisely correct...and more likely that the seal was damaged during install to begin with.