512 BB or 512 BBi | FerrariChat

512 BB or 512 BBi

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cinevillage, Oct 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cinevillage

cinevillage Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    LUCIO
    I'm looking to buy here in italy a 512 BB,but i'm not certain if BB or BBi.
    Help me,please.
    Give me more informations or councils.
    In italy there are this valutations:
    512 BB in very good conditions 90000 euro,512 BBi always in very good conditions 80000 euro.

2. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I've owned a BBI for 20 years. Less mechanical situations. The fuel injection is more reliable than the Carbs. But either one, it's a GREAT car!!!

4. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    I owned my (carb) BB for 22 years. Never had a serious problem. (belts and clutch excepting). Great car, so great, I am looking for it again !

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

90000 Euro is about 120K USD- thats what they are selling for in Italy?

Either one is great, but I love the carbs with the easy access and less clutter to everything in the engine area. If you do alot of city driving stop and go carbs will foul the plugs easier and cause missing issues, FI would be better, but on the open road nothing beats the sound and punch of them, they are also simpler for the DIY mechanic with less parts to diagnose.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Mobile.de had them forsale at prices all over the spectrum. From 65K Euro to about 125/130K Euro for the top cars. I suppose that places the cars about 20% more than a typical U.S. cars ?

The Lusso, and 275 GTB recently went up in price ? I think it pushed the Daytona a little ? What is next after the Daytona ?

Also for the other cousins! The Miura SV has gone off the deep end 425 +, with the others about to be discovered. The early Countach's pre-1980 cars are beginning to go up to around 100K.

7. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    If noticed very early Countachs 74,75 here in Europe already asking close on Daytona money.

8. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Wow! I hadn't noticed how high Boxer prices have been getting in Europe, and it appears that they are real high in Italy.

Lots of Boxers there are listed for 100K+ Euros ($127.5K+).

There's even a low mileage '83 that an Italian car dealer is asking $177K for.

http://www.ferraribuy.com

With the US $ not doing so good in the world, no wonder so many Boxers are being bought up and shipped out of the USA.

9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Close your eyes !!

Bad news !!!!!

10. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Suggest you drive both. A Carb car is a different experience from the later Fuel injection. Overall the 512 BB a "rawer" machine and has one of the best sound tracks of any 12 cylinder Ferrari. The gearing on the two cars is also set up differently.

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #11 Challenge64, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I owned both the 512BB #36863 and the 512BBi #40417 at the same time. Mine were a 1980 Carb car and a 1982 injected car.

I owned them both here in AZ and neither had proper EPA/ DOT and both had to be sold and exported. BB went to Germany and the BBi went to Japan.

I prefer the look of the BBi much much more. 2 mirrors, bigger wheels, and front lights recessed into the front bumper.

The 512BB carb car had better sounds and was fun to just start up and rev..I could be mistaken...but I think it was faster too.

But for overall enoyment..I'd only go back to the 512BBi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    What do you mean by, "2 mirrors" above? The BB has one interior & two exterior mirrors as I would assume the BBi does also.

Greg A

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    my BB had only 1 exterior mirror on the driver side. Its that ugly tear drop kind. The BBi has 2 of the cooler Pininfaria mirrors

14. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The mirrors are a matter of taste, dealerships added 1or2 not Ferrari, I like the vitaloni California tear drop type vs the clunky accordian vitaloni electric on the BBis

If the Blue one on top is the BB it has a BBi front end on it with the small lenses in the bumper area and the BBi type short grill with the flashing lights, my 512BB has hidden flashing lights behind a full length grill.

15. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    My BB also has the tear drop mirrors, which I agree look better. However from a usage standpoint, they are useless.

16. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I wouldn't say totally useless, but fairly useless.

"Whatsa behind me isa behind me"

17. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The blue one is the BB carb car...and the front spoiler with the recessed lights and exposed fog lights looked original when I got it. The car was near the end of production of the carb cars..someone else will have to look up the serial # I posted to be sure...but as far as I know...Its unusual to have a carb car w/ this newer spoiler...

Another difference between the 2 is the placement of the black metal carb covers on the engine deck lid vs the black metal injection covers. The BB are farther apart

18. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    I also have a late 1980 512 BB which has the exposed fog lights. However, it does not indicator lights recessed into the front bumper/spoiler.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Those white rectangular lights recessed in the front just below the turn signal lights are running lights. They came on the BB512i, not the BB512.

20. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann

Troppo caro!!!!

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Troppo realmente.

22. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Ou es tu Andrew??

23. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Could be..but there is my 512BB carb car with the BBi front bumper.

I was so annoyed that the BB had those running lights and my BBi had the bumper cut up with a DOT black bumper that I went out and bought a spare front and rear bumper with running lights...and in the '80s when I bought them, the bill was over $3k

So its my guess that the Ferrari factory equipped at least this one BB with a BBi front grill

24. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    #24 Higgins23, Nov 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I beg to differ, on some of the late 512 BB's the fog lights were exposed (as per the 512 BBi running lights). The 2 BB's on pages 99 and 100 of Mel Nichols book also have this treatment.

25. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Here's a picture of the "running lights" that Frank was talking about. They are mounted "in the bumper edge" and were only on the injected Boxers. They are clear and turn on (along with the red rear parking/running lights) when the headlight switch is in the first position.

The larger clear Cibie lights mounted in the grill area are actually "flashing/passing" lights, not fog lights. They only come on when the headlight stalk switch is pulled back (momentary switch) to flash.

There are however, fog lights (red lens) built into the rear valence/bumper that light up when the fog light switch on the console is turned on.

Not all BB512is in the USA still have the clear front running lights, because most had them removed due to DOT regulations when they were federalized.

To meet crash standards, a different front bumper had to be added or a large rubber strip added to the stock bumper, hence no more running lights.

Thankfully my car had been returned back to full Euro trim by a Ferrari dealer for a previous owner. They even reinstalled the original 4-Cibie halogen headlights, which had been removed and replaced with sealed beams (DOT mandate).

I love the look.