BBI Gas Leak | FerrariChat

BBI Gas Leak

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Murph, Jun 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've got a pretty good gas leak on my Boxer and found the passenger side accumulator leaking from its vent.
    This looks like something I should be able to fix.
    A few questions for the group:
    1. How complicated is the replacement of the accumulator, do I need to drain tank? remove any major engine pieces, etc...
    2. Does anyone have a part number for the piece and can I get it from a non Ferrari source?
    3. Does the leak from the vent on the accumulator come from just the part going bad or could something else have caused the accumulator to fail?

thanks

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Common problem. The vent is there to indicate its failed because its old. Some applications run that vent line back to the engine so you have a rich condition that makes you scratch your head. Easy to change, no draining required. Cant help you on the alternate part but Arizona autohaus would have the part in stock I'm sure just run your bosch number on the site.

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Good catch! I never did this job. I had to remove fuel distrib's and had some fuel shoot from both pumps unintentionally for 1 - 2 seconds. What a mess! Thankfully no ignition source!! Be super careful!! Hopefully someone who's done these will chime in.

Per Ricambi; P/N = 113978 qty2 Accumulator $ 696.00 ea :(
    Ouch! I see why you were asking for better ways to obtain.

Here you go: :)
    113978 FUEL ACCUMULATOR, 308i/308QV/328/400i/412/512BBi/TR/MONDIAL (BOSCH # 0438170004) $248.95 I'd jump on this! Dennis McCann - 614 855 1103

My SWAG as to what caused the failure: reformulated fuel/MTBE/alcohol All sorts of "stuff" they put in fuel that Bosch never dreamed of. You might consider replacing both of them ??

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    "Rubber" and "30 years immersed in gasoline" usual don't go well together (even without 10% ethanol ;)).

Both www.rockauto.com and www.autohausaz.com have that Bosch 0438170004 accumulator for a little over $100 as Newman suggested.

5. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Fuel Pump Wholesale has them for $91.00 ea with free shipping over $145.00 - buy 2!

6. muttsjet

muttsjet Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Any problem putting a nipple over the vent to keep the fuel and smell contained until Bosch part number 0438170004 arrives?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The problem is its leaking for a reason. The diaphragm that contributes to rest pressure is ruptured so it will not run on one bank until pressure builds again. Park it until the part arrives and buy 2!

8. muttsjet

muttsjet Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Understood .. car is parked in garage until fixed. My question was asking, is there any problem putting the nipple over the vent while in the garage parked to keep fuel smell gone and leak stopped (ie, no weird pressure release or anything that requires vent to be open while parked).

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    sorry. put a vacuum port plug on it or a vacuum line with a screw in the end to plug it