Might be silly but I need to know! | FerrariChat

Might be silly but I need to know!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TestaLA, Jun 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you guys think this fire extinguisher is good for my Testarossa?

Two things that concern me is the capacity (this one is 2.5lbs rather than the smaller 1lb one) and if its a clean enough agent for use in the engine bay. I heard about Halon but its hard to find and this says "chemical free" so I figure its a good choice. I can't imagine ever really needing to use this but if I do I want to make sure its the right choice.
    Thoughts?

http://www.jegs.com/i/H3R-Performance/528/MX250R/10002/-1?parentProductId=

2. jrbaldwin

jrbaldwin Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Full Name:
    James Baldwin
  3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Fire chief told me a 2.5 lb will barely do the job. He said the 1 lb is almost worthless on an engine fire.

Ago

4. jrbaldwin

jrbaldwin Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Full Name:
    James Baldwin
    I carry two 2.5 lbs fire extinguishers in both my sports cars as they are easier to store than one 5 lbs fire extinguisher. It gives me a chance of keeping a small fire from becoming a big fire. If it is already a big fire only a large size AFFF fire extinguisher or fire hose will put it out, so stand clear and let in burn. I also carry two 2.5 lbs fire extinguishers in my aluminum fish boat.

Jim

5. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    On a related subject TestLA.....Have you upgraded ALL your fuel lines?!.....Mark

6. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm...I am not sure if they were. It may have been addressed by a previous owner(doubt it was in my 30K service unless its common to replace). I am taking the car in tomorrow to fix a window issue and address a funny "noise" I dont think is normal, I will ask them to check and let me know if it needs replacing.

7. kopiokosong

kopiokosong Formula 3

Sep 25, 2009
    i have halon in my car but i was told in event of an engine fire, the extinguisher is more to put out flames on occupants rather than the car itself !

8. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dave Helms makes an "updated fuel line kit"...I believe the new lines are orange colored.....I know there have been posts regarding the updated fuel lines, might want to do a search.....Mark

9. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm gonna resurrect this thread and ask

https://www.amazon.com/Amerex-B385TS-2-5lb-Halotron-Extinguisher/dp/B00CMUMW5C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486584180&sr=8-3&keywords=halon+fire+extinguisher

https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher-Bracket-Universal-Design-Vehicles/dp/B015G3QXMY/ref=pd_sim_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JAPCWCRVH4H3J7Z851J3

You think this is a good combo for a Testarossa?

Fire extinguisher should leave no residue and the bracket seems to take up little space. I was thinking this bracket or find one for behind the seats but I don't want to drill any holes etc...

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good insurance and some marshmallows.

Let it burn.

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I had to bail out of Lotus that was on fire years ago. Seconds turn to hours when fire is that close to you and your fuel tanks.

I installed one of these in the engine compartment, not to save the car, but to give me a few more seconds to get the h**l out!

https://www.amazon.com/BlazeCut-Automatic-Suppression-Automotive-Extinguisher/dp/B00D7M3E7O

Painted it flat black and it is not that visible. Easy to install with zip ties and removable for service access too.

I have a Halotron unit behind the drivers seat too. No residue on either extinguisher, but as Brian said, if you are well insured, just get out, shed a tear or two and let it burn, the car will seldom be salvageable.
    Alden

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Even if it is salvageable I want no part. I have been involved in quite a few burn repairs and it was a non stop battle with the insurance co. Guess who in the end comes out the loser in that one?

Let it burn.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Let it burn ..... NO one is going to thank you if you saved a seat or ...

15. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haltron Vs Co2? Same thing basically?

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t know if haltron is the same like halon?
    in europe halon is not legal anymore since a while. but it was the best. I have in my car a CO2 system with 6 nozzles in the engine compartement, to be activated from the driver seat. and an additional knob to start the system. but I can not close and open the system when it once has been started all of the reservoir goes out - hopefully it should be enaugh??

until now I not had to used the system :) :)

17. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA

What a story!

I agree with your last point.... get out FIRST ... call 911

Take some photos.

Oh and make sure you're always well insured

Andy

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Since car fires are so much more environmentally sound than using an extinguisher that actually works.

A very good example of environmentalisim run amok. No sense in applying the old smell test before passing stupid laws....nope...uh uh.

19. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This ^^^^^^.

20. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    #20 TestaLA, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    It is not about wanting to let your Ferrari burn. It is about preservation of health/life.

We had a local firefighter have his car (Lambo) go up in flames while driving - theory is a broken fuel line. By the time he stopped and got himself and his passenger out of the car there was NO chance of saving it. Since and because of that incident and after talking with him, I removed the fire extinguisher from the interior of my TR. Just to remove the temptation and possibly end up dead or in months of rehab in a burn clinic.

I do still carry it in the frunk but that is in case of an emergency that may happen elsewhere and could possibly help buy some time in getting someone help.

22. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

Nope not always

https://youtu.be/Cy_itaW9C1A

Watch this video. Skip to 40secs in. A fire extinguisher would work.
    FYI I don't rev like a ****** at traffic lights but I don't think the punishment fits the crime here

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Catch fire that easy from backfire???

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    normaly not

but may be of several accelerations there comes unburned fuel out of the exhaust and those fuel gases getting to fire. and when there is also some material what can burn then this will get to fire soon.
    but this case here at youtube is very rare and I never have seen this

25. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

https://youtu.be/R2Swlt6jF7Y

I can do this all day long...

I'm not arguing on what is causing it but a fire extinguisher in an easy reachable posting would be great to have if you were this guy