TR stumbling and backfiring | FerrariChat

TR stumbling and backfiring

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincep99, Jun 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I made a 60-mile ride the other day with my 88 TR, stopped for about an hour, started it back up and when I got on the highway it stumbled/hesitated for about a mile, then cleared up. Now it does it also when cold, does not last long (about a minute), but I am worried it may get worse. It even backfired.

It does have the cats removed and I retuned the KE to compensate. Ran fine after that for a couple of months, just started after this 60-mile drive.

Any hints where to start?

2. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Easy approach is to make sure ALL your spark plug wire connections are secure...Mark

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Check the connections at the battery and make sure they are good. Then Unplug / Plug-In....all of the electrical connectors in the engine bay, don't forget the ones under the coolant expansion tank. Also check the mother board connectors for burnt connections, particularly for the fuel pumps, etc.

4. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Vince, I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago. It turned out to be a faulty relay in the little triangular box in the rear RHS fender. Its the Bosch relay that has a built in fuse. Expensive :( at about $150.

Phil

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for the tips. I checked the spark plug wires and all the connections, everything was OK. I will check the triangular relay next.

Meanwhile I did some troubleshooting by hooking up the O2 sensors to voltmeters. Started the car (started right up by the way), let it get warm, found that the left bank was running right where it should (~ .7 volts closed-loop) but the right bank would drop to .1 when it stumbled. Went open loop and the right bank would drop to 0 during the stumble. It only lasts for about a second, then recovers. Happens maybe once a minute.

This tells me that the problem is the fuel system because if it were ignition the O2 would go way rich.

The car was just sitting when doing this, and I don;t recall it being worse when driving (and I live on a dirt road so I woulkd have guessed the bumps would have made it worse).

Also I did bypass all the high current-draw conectors in the fuse box two years ago.

Another hint or maybe not related at all: the power to the clock went out twice in the last week. I know the battery is OK as it starts great. I can't imagine any circuit that the clock would have in common with only the right bank.

Phil,
    Would the relay cause only one bank to go bad?

6. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Thats exactly what it did on mine Vince.

P

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    The plot thickens...

Now it won't run: it starts but dies when I let off the starter. Would this relay finally failing altogether cause this no-start problem?

8. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Similar situation with mine and it was related to bad injector. I had all 12 replaced and problem was gone.

9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I pulled the relay and checked it by hooking Terminal 31 to ground, 15 to + 12v. It clicked fine so i checked the resistance between 81 and 30, was 0.02 ohm. I even shook it a bit to make sure there was not a loose contact inside, stayed at 0.02 ohms the whole time.

I may get a new one anyway becasue it could be a heat thing. And $150 for the peace of mind is worth it. But I do want to find the smoking gun.

I'll check the injectors next

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    Those measurements you made on the protection relay seem OK Vince. One other thing you might check is to see if the tachometric relay is properly putting, and keeping, +12V on pin 15 on the protection relay (It is possible that the tachometric relay is correctly putting +12V on pin 15 of the protection relay during starter cranking, but when you release the key to "run", the other mode of the tachmetric relay isn't working). Here's how to measure for this +12V signal at the x white connector:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

You wrote: "I checked the spark plug wires and all the connections, everything was OK", but now that it's doing something else, you should probably confirm/deny if you actually have spark on both banks during starter motor cranking (or any brief running after cranking).

11. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Steve,
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will check the tachometric relay tonight and also check again for spark.

I am wondering if the stumbling and the new no-start are even related. And the third gremlin of the clock reset (usually an indication of a disconnected battery) could be a third issue.

12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Hooked up my voltmeter to the violet wire, cranked it and it started right up! Not only that but the stumble is gone. Runs perfectly.

I then hooked up my voltmeters to the O2 sensors and they are reading fine. I noticed that the right bank takes about a minute longer then the left bank to stabilize at ~ .75 volts, but I guess that the right O2 sensor just takes longer to heat up. Not related to the other problem.

So here is my theory: the viloet wire may have been loose in the white connector. When I rebuilt the fuse box I did not bypass that one. Just like my right-turn signal wire that jiggles loose once a year, maybe that is what happened. When I put the alligator clip on the violiet wire maybe I shoved it back in place.

Anyway I want to really thank everyone who chimed in. I can't imagine getting this far without your help.

13. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    The stumbling and backfire are back.

I don't think it is related to the no-start problem, as the car started great. Drove 30 miles, started again no problem.

Does not seem to be temperature related, as it happens just as often cold as warm.

The right O2 sensor goes to .100, left stays fine, so it is the right bank.

Must be fuel as the sensor is going lean (.100), if it were spark it would go rich (> .900).

Seems to be part-load, because if I am > 50% throttle and above 3500 RPM, does not backfire. For this reason I doubt it is fuel flow (like a plugged filter).

I doubt it is a loose conection in the fuel circuit electricals because when I drive on my bumpy dirt road it does not do it any worse. Smooth pavement and even at idle it will happen.

I may change the injectors next but I would have thought that it would not be so intermittent.

Any further thoughts are appreciated.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Steve, can you not just give +12v to the 87 terminal of the Tachometric relay (ONLY for test phase) ??

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sure (as a way to simulate a properly closed tachometric relay) -- but you could still apply it at the violet wire terminal in the x connector as that wire is terminal 87 from the tachometric relay and the wire is easier to reach ;)

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    What I could do is put a scope on the violet wire to see dynamically what is happening (better than a voltmeter), and if I see it cutting out at the same time the right-bank O2 goes down then it would be a clue.

But wouldn't a failure in that circuit show up on both banks?

17. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    The problem is getting a lot worse, now it only runs for about a minute and backfires violently. I measured the supply pressure to each KE and it is right where it should be. Tells me that the pumps and filters are OK and that the tachometric relay is OK.

I put a scope on the right-bank coil wire and the trace goes highly unstable at the same time as the backfire.

I researched all the ignition threads and was going to swap the module to the left hand side (in theory then the car should not start due to the tachometric relay), but it looks like the module is potted pretty well to the heat sink. Do I just take a thin knife and pry under the module? Or do I have to cut the seal/heat-transfer paste?

As to sourcing: I studies all the threads and it seems that T. Rutlands was last year one of the best sources. Motorcityreman seemed almost too cheap to be true. Not sure if the market is any different this year

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, you'll just need to get a little physical to break the bond of the old (dry) thermal paste.

Transpo XM631 or MagnetiMarelli BKL3B is the part number for the power module (if you can find a handy retail source ;)).

19. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Steve,
    Thanks again for the help. The backfire had become so violent that I thought it would do some serious engine damage, so I decided to play it safe and replace the right-hand coil/module assembly. That did the trick! It now starts and runs great.

However, the original symptom of the right-hand O2 sensor varying remains. I guess that was a red herring to the misfire.

So I can still use advice. Here is where I am at:
    Both O2 sensors are brand new (I know that was not the cause but I thought the originals needed a break after working for 24 years). Also is the fact that right after I shut it down they both read within .003 volts of each other at 0.913 (which I find pretty amazing that they are that close)
    Open loop the LH side is pretty steady at .480 - .520 volts. The RH side varies from .200 - .550. Since this is open loop I don't think the EHA is to blame.

I then went closed loop and the LH side is dead steady at about the same values as above, the RH side still varies about the same as above.

Maybe another red herring but when I hook up the O2 sensors the way the WM says (7-12 goes to the black connector) the LH side goes full lean and the RH side goes full rich, telling me that the signal / feedback are reversed and each is trying to over-compensate
    each other as they have the false signals.

I do not know where to go next.

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #20 Steve Magnusson, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    Glad to hear that you've made progress back towards good running, and I wish I had some easy "X" advise for what to do next, but I don't. I'll give some comments below:

Yes, don't rely on the "color" in the WSM description. The signal wire from the 7-12 bank O2 sensor should be connected to pin 8 of the forwardmost injection ECU -- unplug the forwardmost injection ECU connector and measure the resistance from pin 8 in the harness connector to the spade connector of the 7-12 O2 sensor = should be 0 ohms (i.e., not necessarily exactly zero, but a very low resistance).

The RH side open-loop O2 sensor value varying a bit doesn't worry me as much as how you describe the closed-loop values. Closed-loop, the values should be varying from ~0.1~0.2V (lean) all the way up to ~0.8~0.9V (rich). Your description of the LH side being "dead steady" is definitely not right for closed-loop operation, nor is the RH side staying in the 0.2~0.5V range.

My first question would be: when you are running warm-idle (water thermoswitch open) open-loop (O2 sensors unplugged) can you vary the O2 sensor signal from 0.1V (lean) to 0.9V (rich) by turning the FD mixture screw? Open-loop, you should really be more like ~0.7V average from the O2 sensor so both sides seem a little lean now. And just to be clear -- for the open-loop measurements, the single O2 sensor wire is unplugged and the DC voltage measurement is made between the unplugged wire on the O2 sensor side to ground (not between the unplugged wire on the harness side and ground -- this should just be a constant ~0.5V DC).

The second thing that I recommed you do is confirm that the water thermoswitch (on the LH side of the Y water fitting) is closed when cold (this "tells" the system to run open-loop even when the O2 sensors are plugged in, and turns on the air injection system) and open when warm (this "tells" the injection ecus to run closed-loop and turns off the air injection system). You can simulate a warm/open water thermoswitch, by just unplugging the CN (orange-black) wire (unplugging the R red wire would also simulate a warm/open water thermoswitch, but the red wire is "hot" +12V so you don't want it to touch anything ground).

21. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Steve,
    Thanks again for the prompt and detailed reply!

Thanks for the advice on checking to make sure the LH O2 is connected to pin 8, I will do that. Should I check the dual-pin connector as well, or are these fed from a common supply?

I can vary the O2 sensor from full-lean to full-rich by turning the FD mixture screw. LH side seems more linear (ratio of screw-turns to O2 change) than RH side (seems to be more sensitive/step-function).

I had it set to.7 volt before, had leaned it out a bit to ~0.5, I will change it back to 0.7. I am measuring the open-loop voltage between the unplugged wire of the O2 and ground.

I will check to confirm that the water thermoswitch is closed when cold, thanks. Interestingly enough the O2 is ~ 0.8 at start, which seems correct, then goes to 0.2 for ~ 3 -5 minutes, then goes to the values I mention above. I would have thought it would go from rich right to the warm-condition, niot sure what this interim is.

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #22 Steve Magnusson, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    No need. The 2-pin connectors are just a constant +12V and ground to run the internal heater of each O2 sensor so doesn't matter who is connected to whom for them.

That's good as the EHA does the same thing (although via a different method) when it's running closed-loop. I've never tried to correlate the turns-of-the-screw to the change in O2 sensor output as such very small screw adjustments make such huge output changes ;) Until you can really get the thing running closed-loop, I wouldn't worry about this difference.

It's maybe more important that you confirm that the water thermoswitch is open when warm -- as that is what should initiate closed-loop operation (and turn off the air injection system).

The O2 sensor output is meaningless until it gets heated up quite a bit so the value right at start-up isn't critical. It is correct for it to go to a very low value (lean) during cold-running if you still have a functional air injection system -- as the air injection system introduces excess oxygen into the exhaust stream upstream of the O2 sensor during cold-running.

23. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Steve,
    Thanks once again for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I am confident that with your help I will be driving the TR this weekend.

One thing I realized in rereading my posts (and your replies) was that I may have been negligent to mention that my recent measurements (LH dead steady, RH varying) were all at idle since I have not been able to drive the car due to the backfire. I wanted to get the idle base O2 right before driving. So when I hit the throttle in neutral the LH does vary from lean to rich, as does the RH. Then the LH at idle goes steady while the RH still varies.

Hope that did not cause any confusion.

Thanks also for clearing up the issue of lean while still warming up.

I am grateful for the support you and others have given me; while I don't look forward to problems, this has given me a greater understanding and appreciation for my TR.

24. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    The new coil/ignition module definitely solved the backfire. Timing light and scope show steady ignition.

I borrowed a couple of Fluke meters for the O2 sensors so I could read the average and both sides are ~ 0.5 v while letting it idle for 10 minutes. I think the lean/rich excursions I saw were basically the KE doing its job.

Went for a 30 mile drive, runs great.

Once again, thanks for your help!

25. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad to hear that it's working well -- drive on!