86 Testarossa | FerrariChat

86 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anthony bentley, Jan 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Just after a belt service my alternator has packed up (very pissed off!)
    I have pulled of the plenum etc and the alternator is flopping about but i cannot fully remove the alternator bottom bolt as it hits a coolant pipe square on and that cannot be moved easily.

Help!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Jack up the motor?

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just loosen the 4 engine holding screws, put them out. so you can move the engine a little without any more work.
    then you can easily move out this nice alternator bottom bolt.

4. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    #4 Jeff Pintler, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Isn't it amazing that the long alternator pivot bolts hits the very center of the coolant pipe? And that bolt is long. Anyway, it is very easy to jack up the driver side with a block of wood after removing the bolts on the driver side (same side as the alternator). You might want to also just loosen the nuts on the opposing side because you have to jack the engine up about 1.5 inches. Once you have done it a few times, it only take about 30 minutes and I remember using a SAE socket because it allows more clearance on the left rear nut (instead of the metric size). If you do a search on old postings, there is an easy fix for the v-belt smokage problem. And it costs about $5.00! FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Trying to get my car car back together, lost a 10mm socket somewhere (another story and yet to find it!) My question is does the bottom altetrnator bolt screw into a thread or should there be a nut at the end??? I dont remember a nut but the bolt seems to be just spinning.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there is only a thread in the timing-belt-cover.

this thread has beed damaged at mine and I put in a time-sert and it is fine again. but also the screw is about 1 cm longer and so you could put a bolt on if you reach there :)

try to find this lost socket ! ! ! before you start the engine - may be it is falling so bad down that after engine starting you will hear a very very bad noise - then you know what happened

7. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Thanks Joe, yes i intend to find socket, just struggling to line up plenum chamber now.

8. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Is there a knack to getting plenum chamber on?
    The bolts seem to tighten with only a couple of turns?

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could please someone explain the words- plenum chamber - to me?
    in the translator I can not find anything that makes sense

10. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    There is indeed a knack :D
    This is what I do.....
    1. pass the plenum rear stud through the steel bracket at the back of the plenum.
    2. gently push the plenum into the rubber connection on the fuel distributor.
    3. push the rubber gaskets carefully into the gap between plenum and manifold inlets. DO NOT LOOSE THE METAL INSERTS FROM THE GASKET!
    4. insert the plenum bolts and loosely fasten
    5. check everything fits correctly
    6. tighten the plenum bolts (8 off)
    7 tighten the nut on the rear bracket
    8. tighten the clip on the rubber gasket between plenum and fuel distributer.

Simples... drop me a pm with your phone number and I will take you through it

P

11. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Any one have a pic of the LH plenum chamber from the front?
    I am missing one the black tubes that sits on the front. It would be good to see which direction it comes in at and start from there.

12. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #12 302Tim, Jan 18, 2013
    There are two connections. Doesn't actually matter which goes where (on the plenum) but correctly, the inboard connection (closest to the fuel distributor) is for the vacuum resevoir, the outboard connection is for the ignition ECU. Both connections are 8mm OD black hoses (one photo shows my aftermarket orange silicone) and they are both zip-tied along the steel-braided line that runs from the fuel filter over to the fuel distributor. That will bring them over to the side of the engine bay and to their components. At the plenums just run the hoses so they are not kinked or excessively loose. From the diagram you'll see there is no clocking on the ignition hose but the nipple for the vacuum reservoir should point ~4:00 (if mine hasn't been moved).

13. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Thanks Tim, but my pipes are not attached to the braided hose, i ahve the one from the cannister at the back but not the module one. Where is the module?
    I am really starting to hate this car!!!

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Amen, and I'd expand it to read:

3. push the rubber gaskets carefully into the gap between plenum and manifold inlets FROM THE TOP. DO NOT LOSE THE METAL INSERTS FROM THE GASKET! DO NOT ALLOW A METAL INSERT TO EVEN PASS OVER THE INTAKE OPENINGS -- KEEP (ALL OF) THEM ALWAYS SUPPORTED ON THE ALUMINUM.

15. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Dead on Steve :)

Anthony, please send me an email again somehow my PC ate your last one and I have a few photos ready to send you.

Phil

16. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #16 302Tim, Jan 18, 2013
    Don't hate the car, it just has ideosyncracies that need to be understood. Many times we get confused due to year/model/market changes. Steve M. would know for sure but I believe all TRs had a vacuum source from the LH plenum to the Ignition ECU. Here are photos:

17. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Cheers Tim,
    I have had her 7 years so I'm sure I'll learn to love her again.
    I'll have a look again tomorrow, my pipes don't run the same route as yours but there is another that runs along under the wing to the bulkhead but seems attached some where else.

18. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I've sent you some detailed photos Anthony :)

P

19. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That sounds like the vacuum line that runs from the vacuum resevoir to the center console--it goes through the bulkhead under the LH wing. They don't necessarily need to be run/routed the same but you should have on that side:
    1) LH plenum to vacuum resevoir
    2) LH plenum to ignition ECU
    3) Vacuum canister to center console

All are 8mm OD black rubber (at least originally). I don't think this vacuum line routing is any different for a RHD vs. LHD, though I'll admit I have never seen a RHD.

Seems odd you don't see a hose from the Ignition ECU--can you confirm the ECU is there under the the LH wing? If it's there is there a cap over the vacuum port?

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Great thread.

21. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Where is this thread? I have an 88 and the alt belt squeals and pops off every several thousand miles. I thought you need all new pulleys to solve this... What is the 5$ fix???

Bo

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    before you change some please check if the belts when they are mounted are straight, so both pulleys are in line and not about 1 or 2 cm beside.

23. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    #23 Anthony bentley, Jan 19, 2013
  24. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Found it! Tucked way under the plenum, must be something to do with injection!
    now where's that socket!!!!

25. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Anthony, I'd be interested to know where the hose you found leads to--should be the ignition ECU or vacuum reservoir. You say electric pipe? Can you check and let us know? Hope you find the socket without too much searching/disassembly.