Why even deal with this part? | FerrariChat

Why even deal with this part?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Feb 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #1 kerrywittig, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Below is a question I recieved from a fellow FChatter concerning the brake vaccum shaft...

"Kerry,

Help me understand why I simply can't take out or cut the splines off before it snaps? It sounds like the thing really doesn't do anything to speak of and I am thinking I will just disable it before it breaks. I am sure there is a downfall I just can't seem to figure out what it is.

Thanks

T"

I sorta thought that was an interesting question and thought, "I'll ask the masses!"...

Personally my response has always been that………

“It's common for the OEM brake system vacuum shafts to snap and then introduce metal shavings into the oil system/supply, inhibit oil supply to the driver’s side exhaust camshaft and valve train & compromise the braking efficiency of your Testarossa. It's not a matter of, "Will the OEM snap?", but, WHEN!
    The Ferrari OEM shaft is NOT available anymore, and to replace the shaft, you must replace the entire pump with Ferrari PN 170956, with a retail cost of $$3400+.”

Just wondering what the communities opinions are.....

Wondering Me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The classic symptom is no power brakes after start-up (especially at high altitude) -- as, unlike the carbed cars, the specific instruction is to not blip the throttle at start-up, nor is that needed on a properly working injected model.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I replaced this shaft and also turned the complete housing 90 °

have a look here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/386800-vacuum-pump-tr-2.html

only positive is that after starting the engine has faster a vacuum and also when you drive only on a parking with idle and have to brake several times the vacuum is still there. but during driving it is no need for this pump because as soon as you close the trottle you have more vacuum than this pump ever will do

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    As I understand it, the pump is lubricated thru the small hole taking oil that is fed via the cam bearings. Remove the shaft, and the oil feed hole goes from small to large. Likewise, the oil in the cam bearings goes from high to low.... bearing lubrication may become an issue.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Just bringng a dead thread back to life...

The vacuum pump running off the drivers cam...

Saw several threads where folks rotated it 90 degree's to decrease risk of it breaking... any point in doing that? My car has been through a multitude of majors at ferrari dealers and they always put in back together in the stock position...

Also, saw markings on the end of the cam driving the pump and the cam housing, look like timing marks? Whats the point of those? Cam timing is set from the front, and is marked on the front of the motor.

I assume the pump itself isnt "timed," its just put on. Anyone know before I start digging through the WSM again?

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There are plenty of TRs running around with that pump broken. In fact I have one here right now with one snapped. Brakes felt fine to me..

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Mine, isn't broken, looks fine. Just asking about preventative measures... So do you just put it back in the stock configuration?

Seems the risk of running with it broken is that the oil pressure to that cam might be low...

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If the vacuum pump shaft breaks, leave the splined end in the end of the exhaust cam. If it's gone, then I suggest finding a way to plug the end of the cam to control oil pressure and flow.