512m battery location | FerrariChat

512m battery location

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ABM, Apr 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ABM

ABM Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    #1 ABM, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Hi I've been trying to locate the battery of my 512m to jump start the car! But I've looked everywhere and can't find it. Could anyone advice me on the location! Thanks alot! Pictures of the location will be greatly useful! Thanks in advance :)

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Owners Handbook Page L3 suggests it is in the front hood under the carpet on the right hand side

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    IMO it is no need to post 3 times the same because of the battery

4. ABM

ABM Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Do you have a photo of the location of it? i cant find it.....

5. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    How about you introduce yourself first to our community and post few pictures of your 512M. Thanks.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #6 Melvok, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Open the front lid ...walk to the other side, the right side.... the battery in fact is stored in front of your right (front) wheel ... :)

Look in the opening, pull away the fabric; there is a alloy door that has to be opened ....

Pull it upwards. .... # 11 I think .... :)

And indeed, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself; f.i where do you live ( I live in Europe) ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You can jump start it by attaching the cables to the big +V lead on the starter motor and ground on the engine somewhere if it is too much trouble to get at the battery.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Battery location is so ridiculous I had my mechanic install 2 electrodes inside trunk for easy access

Why couldnt F do that ?

9. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    #9 tvu, Apr 4, 2013
    The blue oval is where you want to lift up the carpet. Yellow arrow is the battery disconnect switch. Picture is from 302Tim's earlier posting on the subject.

10. ABM

ABM Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi thanks for all the replies! I'm kinda new to the page. Will post pics of it soon! I'm from singapore!

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so welcome here in this very interesting, useful, informative and also partly funny forum :)

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Du hast recht .... :)

You're very welcome here !!!

Did you find the car battery by now ... and did she start ??

13. 250cali

250cali Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    I know this is an old post but just so everyone knows, the 512M battery is behind the passengers wheel. The best way to charge the car is with a cigarette lighter charger.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ow ... must be another 512M .... behind the passenger wheel???

Best way to charge with a cigarette charger ??? NO way ...

Do you actually own such a car ?

Please introduce yourself to us 250cali, and fill out the data on the RHS please ...

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    250cali
    would be great if yu could fill out your profile and introduce yourself a little
    this will help you and also the others here

never charge a battery by the cigarette lighter ! ! ! you may connect there a charger with very low amp, so that the battery will be checked always and also will be charged a little. but for charging when the battery is empty you may go directly to the plus and minus at the battery - just now I not even know if there is contact between the lighter and the battery when the ignition is off???

what do you mean under: behing the passenger wheel. what is a passenger wheel? you mean spare wheel?

16. Tokei-ski

Tokei-ski Karting

Nov 4, 2014
    Tokyo/Hawaii
    Full Name:
    The Baron
    Hello all,

I know this is a resurrected old thread but I wanted to make sure that the correct information is out there.

The battery in a F512M is located in the front right (as sitting in the car) wheel well. To access it you need to turn the steering all the way to the left (if you turn it to the right you will not be able to access all of the bolts holding the panel that cover the battery). There is a panel in the front of the wheel well that that is held in place with 6 small bolts. Undo these, remove the panel, and the battery will be sitting there in full view.

As mentioned previously, there is a cut off switch under the front bonnet (also in the front right located just above the battery below). From experience I would advise using this cut off switch 100% of the time when the car is parked/stored. It kills EVERYTHING connected to the electrical system (even the dash clock!). These cars need a full battery to crank over and start, and the slightest drop off in voltage will cause potential starting problems.

Kind regards

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Absolutely NOT so.

The battery is located IN the trunk.

So no need to find a lid in the wheel well ...

18. Tokei-ski

Tokei-ski Karting

Nov 4, 2014
    Tokyo/Hawaii
    Full Name:
    The Baron
    #18 Tokei-ski, Nov 6, 2016
    Mel,

I will respectfully disagree with you. The battery access panel on a F512M is located in the front right wheel well. Please have a look at the parts diagram (link to Eurospares as this was the only place I could find a parts diagram):

Ferrari 512 M - Body - Internal Components: Page 102 | Order Online Eurospares

Part #4 is referenced as "Right Hand Battery Inspection Door".

I also took the liberty of going down to my garage, removing the panel, and taking two photos as you can see here. I am always happy to answer any further questions.

Kind regards.

19. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow, what a beautiful blue the Lemans is--when you get time could you post more photos of your car?

I wasn't aware the battery access changed on the F512M but per your photos (and I checked a F512M owners manual) that is the only access for the battery. I wonder what drove that change from the original TR and the 512TR--I like having the top panel for access??

It's hard to tell looking at the parts diagrams but by the photos it looks like they turned the battery 180* so the mounting tab and cables are on the side nearest the tire--is this correct?

20. Blackfin

Blackfin Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    Southern California
    Yes only access in my M is through passenger whelk well - a real pain in the butt.

I left my kill switch on for a week once and battery was drained. I hooked up my charger to the power source in engine and ground. Can take some pics later and post if anyone wants.

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry guys .. you convinced me, I feel caught by surprise !

Like others ..... we absolutely were not aware of this imo stupid solution bij Ferrari engineers in the F512M ! :D

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Yes please ... (whats your name buddy ?) ... the more we can see about this, the better .

23. Blackfin

Blackfin Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    Southern California
  24. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #24 302Tim, Nov 10, 2016
    Finally looked at a photo and cracked the code--the headlight takes up most of the space where the TR/512TR upper access panel is, thus wheel-opening access only.

25. Blackfin

Blackfin Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    Southern California
    Yup, and also that is the reason the front fender line is slightly different (and nicer looking IMHO) than the rest of the TR's.