TR v M | FerrariChat

TR v M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 300GW/RO, Apr 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Well, now that the blue 512TR in Fla has been picked to death......let's move on to something else.

TR v M....fire away; all and any.......

Jack

2. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Beauty and the beast :D

P

3. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I too sense that this is the primary interpretation......"startled catfish" etc for the M looks....how about the other aspects; does the crowd favor the M over the TR for reasons oher than "only 75 units for USA"? Is the M that much better than the TR is over the tr "regular testarossa"? M>TR or M>>TR as TR>>tr ? Just trying to absorb the extra $50-80k pricing, thanks. Jack

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have only ever driven 1 M. And that was a while ago. But I do remember it feeling very different from the normal 512 TR. The engine reved much quicker, and the cars suspension was much more aggressive. Power delivery felt very strong and much more linear.

5. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    thanks, this (that) is feedback lookng for......I've not driven an M, have driven both tr & TR....not so easy to get a drive in an M!

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Every other Ferrari goes like this. Newest>>New>Regular.

I have heard this. M>>TR>Testarossa.

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Stopwatch says they're almost identical, eyeballs say different.

m with the optional tr wheels is pretty nice save the naca ducts in the hood...

8. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    lets not forget those rear tail lights ;)

9. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    A moot point now! I spoke with two 512M sellers;

1. blk/tan in NY 8100mi @ $155k (no recent service) @ 5pm 4/23, called 12 noon today to see car...SOLD

2. red/tan e-bay Fla 10,100mi $165k (Algar sold in 2010) spoke with agent 1pm, just checked listing....SOLD

M>>TR>tr just as valid as E=MC2 !!

Jack

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

You're not looking in all the right places ;)

1995 512M ? Limited Edition « Ferrari Quebec | Dealership | Sales and Service Center

Btw, those prices seem high , not sure I would believe those selling prices.

11. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
  12. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
  13. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I had a line on that car to and had it bought for 135K - however Car was sold by owner as you said.

AK

14. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had a 1986 Testarossa, a 1992 512 and #1 of the 75 F512Ms. I tracked both the TR and the M at Roebling Road and totalled the 512TR there :-(. The 512TR is a QUANTUM leap over the Testarossa and the M is probably the only Ferrari I've had that I truly regretted that I ever let it go. Sold it to a gentleman in Texas who maintains a 512M Registry and has # 75, or did at the time, so got "book ends" to the series.

The M was much more forgiving with much less tendency to snap oversteer on the track I believe because it has larger rear anti-roll bars. It revs MUCH faster IMHO due to the titanium con rods and, of course also had a higher compression ratio if memory serves. I personally loved the looks.

Having the round rear tail lights accentuated the width of the car from behind and, at night, a friend who had a 512TR said it looked like a "space ship". It truly was a special car. I have a 599 Alonso now and it is much faster, but the 512M with test pipes and a race chip from Koennig (sp?) was a seriously fast beast.

Maybe I'll get that car back some day. :-(

15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    CRAP !!!

Sorry dude , the car has been there a month.

You will find one soon, patience grass hopper !

16. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Spring is in the air....therefore the cars go OUT to play and off the dealer/seller lot!

17. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #17 sherrillt, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    I mentioned before 512Ms sell quick. As soon as they hit the market they're gone because buyers know there are only 75 of them out there and rarity is KING!

You can call them ugly all you want (I do), but they are the TRUE unquestionable collectable of the TR series.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i hate to break it to you but there were a total of 501 512m's built ww, and in a few short years they can be imported to the usa so that 75 number will only mean something for a limited time.....

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    can you please explain for me unknown with the US law and registrations why in a few years those can be imported to the US? why in a few years and not now?? makes no sense to me

also I think that from those 75 some are still wracked?

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Romano- When a car is 25 years old, it can be imported into the US without having to meet DOT and EPA regulations. So in 2019/2020, the F512M can be imported and the importer will only have to pay a very small import tax. No weird seatbelts, too, if the F512M still had them.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you Terry.

here in germany this all does not matter. the car has to be so as at the first registration.

for example: a car first registered in any country in 1987 is coming to be registered in germany in 2013. then this car has to be so, as if this car would be first registered in germany in 1987. it makes no difference if the car is then 2 years or 40 years old. important is always first registration.

for cars older than 30 years you may get a historical licence plate and the tax and insurance is much cheaper. but only when those cars are in good condition and original, or original tuned within 10 years after first registration. there are some other rules for getting such a historical registration.

22. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Yes, 501 total but only 75 US and US spec in our Ferrari land world carries a premium. In all reality 501 is still crazy rare. Heck any production under 2500 is rare in the car world, which with those numbers (~2k) translates to about <10 examples available at any given time on the market on the high end.

So once you eliminate the attrition from wrecks and near or actual death from neglect, you have a limited/small pool for potential buyers to choose from...rarity is king. Besides the cost of foreign inspection, transport, the added premium of risks with importing, potential broker fees, let alone currency conversion, still makes even that consideration a pricey proposition driving up the euro cars cost once in the US to not to far from a US car.

The 512M is the hands down car to own in the TR series, if you want the car as a speculator for a payoff IMO and not the 512TR or TR. The prices and sales reflect it and we are just seeing a preview of coming attractions if you apply any trend analysis to an assessment.

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sherrilt i agree on all your points. all i was trying to point out is that the 512m in the usa will have a lot of competition at some point down the road since the higher values of the m are not as pronounced in europe, and those cars will flow to the highest bidder. no epa or dot means all you pay is import duty at some stage, so that will be the delta.

luckily for me, i am not so much after the potential pop in value, as i am driving the one i think looks best, and for me thats the 512tr. i have never liked the m much, and even had the opportunity to buy one, but the lack of appeal kept me from it.

24. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    10 years hence, I predict the F512M will be worth 3X what the 512TR will be. Having owned both, the 512TR is not in the same league IMHO.

25. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I'm not worthy of asking you this question as I bow down to you ;) You've had all three Testarossa's. Which one, in your opinion, looks the best?

Joe