'85 TR Wheels...original finish? | FerrariChat

'85 TR Wheels...original finish?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1974gt4, Jun 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    Clear coated aluminum?

Painted silver?

Who out there knows?

many thanks.

2. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    They came painted. The paint code is P.P.G. #36520

3. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    glossy ?

flat ?

Getting them refinished tomorrow...any help---greatful !

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #4 302Tim, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Be very careful. These are MAGNESIUM wheels...........

Mags are much harder to prepare and paint / powder coat than aluminium wheels.

Good luck

P

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Phil -- Do you have a F reference for this claim? I can't recall ever seeing the TR wheel material mentioned in any of the F documentation (mostly, I believe, because they we're going from the special "light alloy" brew to a more conventional Aluminum alloy on the TR/328, and weren't wanting to draw attention to that).

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I've painted mine twice now,many they still continue ie to bubble in due time. People looking at my tr rims say magnesium as well. Aluminum painted wheels wouldn't bubble after prep and paint. I will take pics this weekend and post to illustrate.

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Strange -- I've had the exact opposite experience -- TR wheels refinished twice by a national vendor without any drama nor bad results. Can you provide any written F reference for the TR wheels material?

9. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #9 MS250, Jun 26, 2013
    Some have had the same results I have had, here is what they look like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    IIRC, the single lug wheels are magnesium and that was changed to aluminium as part of the update in 1988, to the 5 bolts setup.

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FYI, Although not commonly known, certain batches of wheels left the factory with what has been informally called "rough casting".

From what I have been told from concours judges and a few people who sold and serviced TR's when new, a few batches of wheels were inadvertently impregnated with silicone (IIRC? ) during the manufacturing process. I believe, all of the affected wheels were made by Speedline during 1985-1986, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, shortly after delivery, the silicone would begin interacting with the paint and hard bubble like shapes in the casting would begin to appear...and the calls to the dealership would begin.

You can refinish them until the cows come home, but like clockwork, the bubbles will reappear if you have one of the affected wheelsets.

I did extensive research on this, because my car has the same problem. It was a national concours judge who first tipped me off...

12. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    So, does that mean I should save my money going forward and stop repainting ?

What are you doing with your wheels joe?

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Please post written F reference for this statement.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #14 JoeZaff, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    The previous owner of my car spent a fortune(definitely overpayed! )having a very well respected F-authorized repair facility refinish the wheels-- It didn't last long.

For me, I am going to keep them as is as I like the side story and my car has never been deducted a point at a concours for the wheels.

If you don't like them, the ONLY option for you is to buy another set of wheels.

I say keep them... its a great conversation starter! :)

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The problem for me joe, it's like multiple pimples. Drives me nuts, and they continue to grow ( seems to me )

But thank you for having me save some money. I will leave them, and just wait for when a new set come to market , if ever.

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

I hear you...
    FWIW, I may have a line on a wheel set (or at least 3 NOS wheels) that I may be able to pry from a friend. I am supposed to check back with him in a couple of months...PM me to remind me and they are yours if he decides to sell, as I have decided to keep mine as is.

17. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    so are very early 1985 Wheels Mag ?

I don't mind the bubbeling problems, the previous owner curbed them, thus the reason for the refinish; not bubbles.

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I would think most likely yes, from the other cars I know of.

19. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I had my Mag wheels re-painted...
    After two weeks I had "snakes" under the paint over an inch or more long, just like you get with old car steel with bad paint prep. This will not happen with alloys IMO. There was NO aluminium oxide white powder under the snakes.

I had another wheel powder coater take the wheel through five bake and cool periods followed by an immediate powder coat. NO problems so far after 3 years. :)
    I dont know about the 5 lug wheels but my single bolt wheels are definitely Magnesium.

P

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There is a pretty lengthy Tech Bulletin on repainting the wheels.

I have seen it but do not have it at hand.

They are not racing magnesium (which catch fire, ever seen a street Ferrari wheel catch fire??) but various blends and alloys over the years, all of which tend to be troublesome to keep air tight, hence the sealing then priming then finish painting process.

I have a set going bad where they "stripped them and powder coated" and they were nice looking for maybe a year.

Be interested to know your successful vendor, Steve.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #21 Steve Magnusson, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    I can't comment on your "this will not happen with alloys IMO. There was NO aluminium oxide white powder under the snakes." being a material certainty. I would accept a density measurement (weight/volume), if you've got it ;); otherwise, I'm going to have to stay in the "we don't know" camp until someone can produce something in writing from F -- so (anyone) please post it if you have it or know of it.

Keystone http://keystone-auto.com/ (in the Denver area -- my understanding is that they are a "national" company, but have many regional locations where the work actually gets done). No special instructions given, bare wheels left at my local body shop and picked up by the Keystone driver, $99/wheel, done in a MB silver rather than the stock dour grey -- twice -- no problems to report.

22. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    interesting stuff...seems like delaying this process has produced more 'food for thought' than I bargained for asking about color choices.

Since the factory coating is breached from the curb work---I will assume, if magnesium, then the process should be powder coat.

I had a set of Ducati 996RS mag wheels powdercoated and they have been perfect since. Maybe 8 years now.

I think I will call that fellow again.

23. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    also find it interesting that there is not a casting mark speaking to the composition on the inside of the wheels that a more senior member of FChat hasn't seen previously in these endeavors?

Anyone recall seeing such?

24. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #24 Steve Magnusson, Jun 29, 2013
    I know there isn't anything "material" related on the backside of my Speedline 5-lug TR wheels -- just F PN and "ET=..." (offset), but I don't have a photo. There most definitely is not "LEGA DI MAGNESIO" shown on the backside like on the 308 wheels.

Here's some photos from the backside of a O.Z. brand 8x16 TR single lug wheel: