Need help finding electric motor for 61523100 TR Glove Box Actuator | FerrariChat

Need help finding electric motor for 61523100 TR Glove Box Actuator

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Steve Magnusson, Aug 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Hoping that someone out there can direct me to a website/source for a miniature 12V brush-type electric motor to replace this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's actually made by a US company that still exists, Johnson Electric, but they don't have it in their catalog. It's nothing uber-special. I thought it would be just a motor like you'd find in an RC model or toy -- but those all seem to be much more modern brushless motors now. Doesn't have to have the exact same shape on the brush end, but would be nice if the front end had the same shape (and, of course, needs to not exceed the max envelope shape shown). Please help if you can!

2. Blulagos

Blulagos Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    David Joos
    Hi Steve,
    Mabuchi is another major company that produces electric brushed motors besides Johnson.
    Perhaps they have an equivalent for your motor.
    Tamiya uses these motors and they are renowned for theur quality.
    Here is an Ebay search link:Mabuchi Motor 12V | eBay

David

3. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Apart from the mounting bracket and the size of pinion, these motors should be freely available at any shop that sells racing slot cars like the old scalelectric cars :)

P

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's what I thought Phil, but I've tried searching our Library of Alexandria as best I can, and can't find anything (don't need the pinion gear, but having it is no negative).

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for the Manufacturer's name suggestion David -- already found some "possibles" on eBay!

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Had a close look at using the Mabuchi FK-280, and would characterize it as "doable, but a little bit fiddly" (as I'd need to make 1 part and do a few mods to the surrounding plastic housing shells, but still the best option so far) -- please make any other Manufacturer/Distributor recommendation(s) that anyone might know.

Additionally, if you've got a dead and/or used 61523100, please shoot me a PM if you'd like to sell/give away ;)

7. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Try a chain called Hobby People....

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Try Grainger. I have found many items for classic cars and motorcycles from Grainger that I used to substitute for NLA OEM parts.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just to close this out, I was able to get the Mabuchi FK-280 motor to work well, but it was a bit of a "Wheeler Dealer" project -- very low cost (less than $10 total), but way too much time/hassle/fiddling (had to machine out some internal structure from the housings to account for the larger brush block of the Mabuchi and modify the connector/connections). Since a "new" assembly is ~$500, I'd probably do it again if I had to (but I hope that I never have to!), but if I could get a new one for ~$200, I'd do that instead.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you manufacture things by yourself, looking around what could match, searching for equal parts it takes so much time that soemtimes it would be cheaper to take original ones. but when you need this thing a second time you already know where to get it from or where to get parts to make it and then it will get cheaper of course.
    first thing is always a prototype
    so thanks for sharing here

Melvok likes this.
  11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Steve, resurrecting this old thread, but would it be possible to use a door lock actuator instead? Would it have enough power? Curious, why it is described as magnet by Ferrari.

Thanks Dennis

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's typical IME of some of Ferrari's English (mis)translations of the more obscure technical items -- there is a magnet inside the electric motor ;)

Not sure about how directly a Door Lock Actuator could be used - the behavior needed is a strong pull in one direction when energized, but also being able to be back-driven to the original position when un-energized by a spring in the glovebox latch mechanism. I didn't measure the force (and my replacement motor may have not been identical to the stock motor), but it is a surprisingly stout little gizmo with the gears and lead screw mechanism. Certainly, the components of a Door Lock Actuator are in the same vein, but those are usually more of a two position device needing power (applied differently) to move between the two positions.

EZORED likes this.
  13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Chrysler product trunk release is a very strong device!