Testarossa powered boxer | FerrariChat

Testarossa powered boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Nov 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a new project arriving Friday and an engine that arrived today. Ill be putting this testarossa engine in this carbed boxer. Im going to make intake manifolds to accept the 3 barrel webers on the testarossa engine, paint the valve covers black wrinkle and make it look correct at first glance. Twin distributors will be the most obvious clue that something isnt quite right. Ill run a system to control ignition, make the exhaust and whatever else I need to fabricate to make this look OEM. The car had twin turbos in the past with a conversion to CIS from carbs to work with the turbos. Now it'll be all engine but its easy to estimate a 400HP+ output.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    It'll never run.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    lol it'll be ready for its first engine out service before your old clunker ever runs :)

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Need we ask what happened to the original carb engine in this boxer?

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Anxious to see what you can do with the TR motor. I've never been a big fan of the CIS systems and getting the 3-barrel Webers should give it that "giant suckin' sound" that we all know and love.

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Here, here. I'm drawn more to a Testarossa based engine. But I really want the carbs. Even though the tribute I am considering is of '78 and had fuel injection at that time in race cars. I still want carbs. If I want injected, it will be done. But no interest for now.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think it's being used as a door stop..

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I know we have doscussed this before Paul. Any thoughts on the Borla TWM FI systrem that looks like webers.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #9 Newman, Nov 19, 2013
    Im expecting it to sound pretty nice with the right exhaust. One added bonus to the Testarossa engine is the lack of boxer headers. The tucked up short tube headers allow the car to be lower than stock without bottoming out the headers which boxers suffer from at stock ride height.

Opened the crate, very nice removal saving even the throttle cable right from the pedal. They took care removing it which is nice to see.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #10 Newman, Nov 19, 2013
    This was one of several options discussed.

11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Great project Paul! Is this one of your cars?

12. johnrlyon

johnrlyon Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Another fantastic project by Newman!
    I can't wait to watch this unfold...

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Nope not mine. I have something in mind for myself but thats later down the road.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Looking forward to seeing it come together myself. A 4V carbed flat 12 in a boxer will really wake it up!

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I smell a M engine in a boxer ;-)

16. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Engine out!!!!!!!!!! Do you ever put them back in??

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sure it will run ! ! ! :)

I will be surprised hearing the sound during acceleration - must be like a symphony :) :) :) with open trumpets

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Gleggy, he put the engine back in is own BB and got it running. He saved this car from long term sitting without an engine.
    Keep faith in him :)

19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Another interesting project!
    Discovery Channel needs to do "Newman's Garage"

Are you going to change the cams?
    Actually, do BB's and BBi's have different cams?

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you can not change the TR cams with the BB cams because they are roting otherwise.
    also the BB and BBi are a 2 valve engine, the TR a 4 valve
    the BBi cams are different to the BB cams

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I love all these hot rod Ferrari's Paul is doing. It seems to be catching on. And really; why not? Still using Ferrari engines and parts, just making them a bit more usable and able to keep up with modern traffic and cars.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    They have different cams, from what i understand BB cams are flatter because of "wave reversion" which does not allow the FI system to run. Some say a BBI can be made to run with BB cams, from what i have heard this makes them very hard to start.

In any event, the Bb cams give better top end. One can see the same picture when the 308 went from carbs to injection. Fortunatly the Bb was not nearly as badly afftected as the 308.

Hp numbers if they are to be belived is

360 for the BB
    340 for the BBI
    and
    380 for the TR which had 4 valve heads.

Some say Hp between the BB and BBi are the same or very similar, differences being more a function of Italian paperwork. Probably a BBI has some less hp than a BB and more torque.

I know my BBI will run neck and neck with a daytona from 60-130, of course individual cars will vary significantly depending on state of mechanics and tune, not to mention plugs used and fuel.

My guess is a TR series engine is very consistent form car to car and day to day.

23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- when done well ;)

I see zero performance downside here as the performance with carbs and short manifolds will only be better (due to the 4V vs 2V) than the performance of a stock BB512. The real trade-off here is the same trade-off that already exists between carbed BB (HP increases linearly with RPM -- so low RPM torque a little bit less, but high RPM power great) and BBi/TR (HP curve more "humped" vs RPM - low RPM torque improved, but high RPM power a little compromised).

The only caveat might be that the TR cam drive architecture (no gears, longer belts) might get more iffy at uber-high RPM -- can someone post the published redline specs for 512BB and TR (or better yet the HP&Torque vs RPM graphs for both)?

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The cam drive is the same more or less as a BB. The 365 BB had what a 7700 redline. I think the 512M redline was 7500, so yeah maybe belts really do need to be changed every 5 years now.

From what I remembr when 4 valve heads came out the motors all gained hp with a little loss in low down torque. Then of course you have cams and intakes for different FI setups and cars. The TR intake with relatively long runners probbaly tries to put torque back.

Short velocity stacks and carbs probably going to be more top end orientated. We also know that the cams and cam tmining is setup for a FI system, not necessarily ideal for carbs.

So lots of variables here. Nevertheless from the QV thread a few years back we know that going to carbs is going to add a lot of HP. My guess is it will be comfortably north of 400. Torque loss should not really be an issue consddering a BB is 400lbs lighter than a tr.

I imagibe the smaller 4v valves should be less suscepotible to float and generaly more robust. Maybe if its run to 8k there will be durability issues, but I imagine it will run out of cam before then. Basicaly should be a betetr motor than a BB in all regards.

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The cam drive is completely different on the TR engine. The belts are run directly off the snout of the crank, where as the BB uses separate cam drive pullies like the 308's. They both use 2 belts, but as steve says, the belts are longer on the TR engine