1974 Ferrari 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer | FerrariChat

1974 Ferrari 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jan 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #1 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Hope this one was not discussed here bevore. Someone knowes this car?
    What do you think?

Estimation 70 000 - 110 000 €

Rétromobile 2014 & Solo Alfa by Artcurial Motorcars - Sale N° 2400 - Lot N° 344 | Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan

French title
    Chassis n° 17993

- Original, well preserved condition
    - Superb provenance, same family for the last 36 years
    - First and sportiest version of the Berlinetta Boxer

With the introduction of the Miura in 1966, Lamborghini shook things up for Maranello. Low and streamlined, with a mid-positioned engine, it made the front-engined Ferrari that had ruled the road until then, look distinctly old-fashioned. Enzo Ferrari was slow to react, launching the Daytona before adopting a mid-engine set-up for his most prestigious GT car. He accompanied the new layout with a new engine that, although tested in competition, was used for the first time in a road-going Ferrari. The flat 12-cylinder engine positioned on top of the gearbox gave the car its name : Berlinetta Boxer. The 365 GT4 BB was unveiled at the Turin Motor Show in 1971, but it was at the Paris Motor Show in 1973 that the definitive production version appeared. The 380 bhp of the fastest, first version was capable of powering the car to 300 km/h.

Delivered new to the Pozzi establishment in mid-July 1974, the 365 GT4 BB on offer is fitted with two additional high-beam headlights, as ordered by the first owner, Mr Touitou, who took delivery of the car on 29 July 1974. At that time it was registered 7238 CM 94. Two years later, during the spring of 1976, he parted with the car, the odometer reading 16,000 km. Two years later, on 3 January 1978, Albert Prost bought the car. The red paintwork with lower sections in black (original colour scheme) is in good condition, and the interior displays patinated black leather upholstery and red carpets. The dashboard is complete with all its instruments and a period Radiola radio, and the 35,735 km on the odometer is probably correct. The car has been well preserved, displaying signs of the life it has led. Having not been driven recently, this lovely 365 GT4 BB will in principle require recommissioning before use. It comes with its manuals and original toolkit. Having been in the hands of the same owner for 36 years, this car has the advantage of being in original, unrestored condition. Once recommissioned, it will be ready to deliver the exhilarating sensations of its flat 12-cylinder mid-positioned engine.

2. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    70k-110k Euros? I think they are significantly underestimating its value...

3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Other than those open mesh covered cab trumpets, a very nice example.

Lots of cool unmolested details, on that one.

Thank for posting!

5. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    my first thought too....

Jack

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Same owner for the last 36 years ... that's nice. There's no way it's going to sell for €70K to €110K.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    More like $175 - 195USD, would be my call???

8. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Can't be driven or inspected. Hopefully it isn't hiding some major mechanical issue.

Estimate does seem very low.

9. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the link - it looks like a nice car to start with that has good bones and a long-term owner.

We can be certain it has mechanical issues that are not all hiding; when the auction house description says "not driven" and calls for "recommissioning required," a potential better should know to inspect closely at the preview, see if it will start/run, and have a budget/plan to repair many problems.

The photos are low-resolution, but large rare parts needed to make the car correct - if that's important to the buyer - include the 6-tip exhaust and the appropriate air cleaners. We can't assess the presence or absence of corrosion from the photos. I am hoping we have an on-site member at Artcurial to report what's seen.

10. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
  11. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    It would be interesting to see the service history of the last years ... then we could make an educated guess - nevertheless I think you are right.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Considering how much my plain-jane driver 512BB went for, I think that's low.

13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    they admit it needs to be taken apart and completely reviewed before you can really drive it....so that price may not be off by that much.

however, i reckon the buyer (s) will bid if far higher, completely ignoring how much money and effort they will need to spend.... good for the rest of us.

14. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    I'll buy at high estimate unseen.

15. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  16. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Estimate does seem low. Look forward to someone checking this out in person.

17. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    The description of the RHD car at RM (18159) is up now. Interestingly, per the auction house, it's similarly a car that hasn't run in a long time (25 years for this example) and requires recommissioning/restoration. It's a very rare car in the post-Enzo-era Ferrari sphere in the RHD configuration. 365 BB's are coming out of the woodwork.

18. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    It looks like it is missing the factory installed equalizer? I think those are nla. Beautiful car though and would enjoy having a 365. Since its 1974 it will not need California emissions, but does it still need to be federalized into US or for California registration?

Can they be imported or is there a ton of red tape to bring over. I like how original the car may be unless it has been butchered over the years as parts failed. Hard to tell.

Didn't some have dual exhaust and some triple. The rear bumper does not look like it can accommodate a triple tail pipe.

Being new to these cars these may be novice questions.

19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    365BB's and 512BB's didn't have radios or equaliizers installed from the factory, they were dealer installed.

It's fairly straightforward to import a 25 year old or older car under exemptions from EPA and DOT, no federalization required.

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ....except california may have another set of stricter laws if memory serves me

21. quarryman

quarryman Karting

Dec 30, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I will be heading over to Paris and will be looking forward to seeing both these examples, so I can compare to my one.

Will report what I see.

Best

Paul

22. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Hammered for 220.000 EUR, plus 15% comission, car was really ugly...

23. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    Hi Paul-
    Did you get a chance to look this one over. Curious on your thoughts.

24. waterzzzz

waterzzzz Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    With all due respect, I saw the Albert Prost Collection Boxer at the ArtCurial preview in person and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Additionally, with its original paint, interior, etc, it was one of the most original examples I have ever seen. For many reasons most of us reading this thread already know--not the least being the rarity factor -- the 365 GT4 /BB is a great car and is only just beginning to be truly appreciated. Also, the importance of keeping a car like this original while making it functional (versus doing a ground-up restoration) is finally becoming appreciated. Thank the Heavens!

Didn't look at the RHD Boxer at RM Paris Auction but wouldn't RHD limit who would buy it down the road? Perhaps a Brit bought it?

25. quarryman

quarryman Karting

Dec 30, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Paul

Hi
    yes I did get a chance to look over it fully. And whilst I agree its nice having an original car, this needed restoring. Apart from the fact the engine would need significant work and that it was missing its air boxes, the body was in poor condition. Under the shells and around the frame work was like a foam filler (sprayed black) the rear clam had been re-sprayed badly. Interior was good, seat shows a bit more wear than you would want on the bolsters but still IMHO I would keep and make good. nice tool set and roll and owners manual, But no history file, just a couple of MOTs and a bill for oil and filter change some years ago.

I'm sure that after work in the right hands this car will look wonderful.

The RHD car that also sold, I believe is going to the middle east.

(photos to follow)