1994 512TR question | FerrariChat

1994 512TR question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by enzosteve, Mar 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Question regarding 1994 512TR cars

Inside of the 512tr side intakes there is an aerodynamic piece that is usually painted satin black. I noticed that a Blue 1994 512TR in Florida had that piece painted in the same color as the car.

I was wondering if this was a factory option?
    Was this done only on certain colors by the factory to be more aesthetically pleasing?
    If so, was this done on 1994 cars only ?
    Maybe this painted by the previous owner for his/her own tastes?

Also did any cars come with a color coded engine cover or did they always come in black?

Not sure how to attach pictures

2. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Early cars had the black satin lid with even a "testarossa" emblem on the 92s, but somewhere in the later production (mid-late 93 possibly) there was a cutover to color coordinating lid, which you see on later 512TR and 512Ms. I think the color extended to the vents, but I am unsure on that aspect.

3. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #3 blue_myriddn, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I believe I am familiar with the 512TR you are referring to (VIN ZFFLG40A7R0098564) and here is a side by side photo of what I believe you are referring to below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, was that done by the factory?

5. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    This is something that puzzles me too! I know that some 512 TRs indeed have a painted piece in the doors and that some also have a painted engine cover. I've always assumed that those were simply repainted as I've seen only a small number of cars with these features, but now I'm not completely sure about that anymore. Some articles (even by the respected Keith Bluemel) even indicate that this was standard on very late 512 TRs, but that certainly is not true. However, it might indeed have been an option, maybe only for the US market. But I'm still not sure about it. So, I can't say that it was delivered by the factory like this, but I also can't say that it's a simple repaint. I simply don't know ...

I should add that it seems to me that in 1994 more "options" were possible on the 512 TR, perhaps only on special request. I've seen a few in special colours (like mine, in Prugna) or in colours that were later used on the F512M. So, perhaps Ferrari made such "options" possible to increase sales? But at this moment, that's just "guessing" ...

The early 512 TRs indeed had a "testarossa" emblem on the black part of the engine cover. This was not used anymore after assembly number 11516 (s/n near 94500, so during Model Year 1993), but the engine lid itself remained black. It remained black for the whole 512 TR production (except for the possible option that I described above). On the F512M, it was painted in body colour.

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #6 Llenroc, Mar 18, 2014
    On the factory literature and factory assembly pictures for the 512TR the engine hood is black from '92 to '94 and inside door aero piece is satin blk. The factory specfies that the engine hood was changed to body color on the 512M but do not find any mention or pictures of the door aero piece ever being body color.
    So if there is a 512TR out there with body color engine hood then someone changed it, same with the door aero piece on both the 512TR and the 512M. Maybe I should add that it wasn't the NORM, we all know the factory has done odd things :)
    Just an additional tidbit of info the '92 512TRs that have the testarossa script on the engine hood there is also small aluminum plate on the underside center of the luggage compartment hood from I have seen the plate disappears with the hood script.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i hate to trouble your stats, but mine is a 92 and i have a body colored engine hood with the testarossa emblem on it. it is completely stock as is from the factory.

my side strake separator is black tho.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, Mar 19, 2014
  9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ross....how does your 512TR have shields and a body color lid and be 100% stock?

How can you attest with 100% accuracy that it's completely stock if you did not own it from day one?

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i bought it from the dealer in rome, who sold it to the first owner, and stored it for him ie it lived there (roman owners often keep the car at the dealer since they have no garage). at the time of purchase i asked him all sorts of questions, and one of them was exactly that - was it stock. and he showed me the original order sheet (which i cannot find at the moment unfortunately), and it was just as it is now. there was no mention of extra painting etc. so i am concluding that it was that way from the start. furthermore, i have seen a few over the years and have seen others that have the same configuration as mine. so i dont think llenroc can make the blanket statement about the engine lid being one way or the other. as with many things ferrari, there are rules and there are exceptions, in just about equal numbers.

11. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Another '92 here with body colour hood and testarossa script. Mine is a UK car, and I have some photos of the car at the dealership when the first owner collected it which suggests that it was delivered with that paint scheme.

Mine also has drilled aluminium pedals and a polished aluminium gear knob - were these ever offerred as options? Otherwise, they could have come from a 355.

12. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Not to sound rude but a lot suggests and no hard proof. When I see a window sticker with this option.....then I may believe. Sounds odd that the first year of this Newly designed 512tr would have a undocumented option.

13. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well the only thing we can agree on is the testarossa script on a 92. It can also be easily removed to have the black matte sprayed body color and then reinstalled.

I simply see no documentation that these cars were offered with a body color lid in 92. I can find where owners did not like the matte black cover and it was painted body color. If your VIN is low then you should realize that Ferrari stock piled the 92 cars (they were made early alongside the TR and stock piled for a future release.). It also makes no sense to me to make different colors if they could mass spray all of these panels flat black. You heart and brain tells you that Ferrari would charge extra.

In fact, I was never crazy about the differential color. I also remember a certain magazine saying they did not care for it, but Ferrari chose black because it reduced glare in the rear and helped with visibility.

Unless you are the original owner (or dealer) that can publicaly attest that the 92 came with a body color lid, then the above statements are speculative at best and are unsubstantiated.

14. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #14 Llenroc, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    :) you didn't read my whole post I also said the same thing, ie; the factory does what it wants.
    I was referring to the factory photos and pictures of the assembly line and there also is no mention of any optional painting being offered or for that matter your fender emblems according to printed factory literature/info they didn't exist as an option (again doesn't mean they weren't done at factory). Also dealers do a lot of stuff for good customers and I would tend to lean to that concept before factory involvement. I would like to see factory proof before I agree to eat crow :D

15. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #15 enzosteve, Oct 21, 2014
  16. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Nope but some will debate.

17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    The few '94 512 TR's I've seen (on line and in person) had body colored strake separators, which look out of place. IMHO.

Joe

18. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    I have a 1992 Japanese spec and mine has black engine cover and black colored separate strake separators(On a red car) and no Testarossa emblem on the engine cover. I also have the Scuderia shields as do most I have seen here in Japan. I have also been told by experts that ABS was not added until later years yet mine has it. So my 1992 should be priced like a 94!