What's wrong with this car? | FerrariChat

What's wrong with this car?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by godabitibi, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Isn't that car cheap for a 512TR? Why not a single bid?

2. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    What car?

I don't see a car.

Now. If you were asking about the car in my avatar, I can tell you. It's missing some parts.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #4 134282, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    This car was for sale on eBay in November, 2011, through a private seller in Orinda, CA, who "reluctantly" offered it at a Buy It Now price of $59,000.

I saw the car on 30 March 2013, at Cars & Coffee in Irvine, CA, and I overheard the owner say he had it for about six months; it was on the same plates back then as it is now. I saw it again six weeks later at the Pasadena Concorso and it had a Tubi exhaust.

5. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Accident history?

Any issues with the car?
    I am surprised no interest yet

6. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am curious too. A black/black just sold at auction in Florida for 140k I believe

Why is there no interest in this one?
    Seems cheap at 85k

7. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Needs a Major...

8. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #8 sherrillt, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    What's wrong...Nothing on the surface; it looks great - Agree the price is soft and good buy for the right buyer assuming all is legitimate and it's straight. I attribute the anemic response to a very poorly crafted Ad and higher mileage for the type of car. As most will agree anything over 10-15k mi has a dramatic downward impact on pricing, but not at what is reflected here. Marketing and the right pictures go a long way. I have seen cars flipped on eBay and locally that the buyer made a nice bit of "ching", simply by having a detail, better Ad, and the right supporting pictures than when they bought the car weeks before.

I personally never understood the above comment and other like comments regarding "needs a major service". Most cars will need servicing and a major (at some point). I would not let that deter anyone interested in buying any car. Just factor in the cost ($5-10k), buy the car, and get it done. You will typically come out far better having a freshly baselined car under your watch with fresh fluids and a detailed checkout by someone you know/trust then taking the word of a previous owner and trusting some BS receipts.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ex Ken Griffey JR car.

I know it well.

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    And?

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If someone is a serious buyer I'll be happy to discuss it.

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Awesome, thank you, did not know that.

13. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Please post any comments of discussion openly - I am sure we all would like to be regaled with the background "good or bad" and as cars tend to pop back up in a few years someone will recall your post about it.

14. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Brian, just tried to PM you. Your box is full and not accepting PMs.

15. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Brian certainly does NOT need me to protect his reputation, but in his profession and at his level, (there are others on this forum too) what he says 'in public' comes with attachments - -

It can be picked apart, misconstrued, taken to extreme, et cetera to the point he then must invest even MORE time or brain cells to realign the automotive planets, often with people who aren't prospects or really interested.

I've seen many in the profession - due to past experiences - choose to keep a professionally discreet distance, yet sincerely help those seeking individual advice. An investment counselor would do the same.

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I dont think I could have said this better. Some times a one on one is worth its weight in gold.

17. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    No takers online. Most likely will be sold on one one (typical) after it clears an inspection. Regardless - it was a good asking price seeing actual sales of other lower mileage examples going for well over $100k.

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone want to give their insights without attributing to Brian. It's still out there at what appears to be a good price.

19. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I emailed the seller and he did indicate that 90K or so is what he expects. I personally think that 32K and an in need of an engine out may scare people. The 1994 black on black on eBay, seller rejected my offer and he said offers above 100K would be considered. That car is no longer on eBay.

20. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    you already trying to buy another?

21. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Well, I have to tell you that it has not been easy two weeks... But slowly I am getting over the sale of the silver beast.

Although TR will always have a special place in my heart, I will be looking for F1 instead of stick to make it easier on my back. I am liking F430 over 575 or a Bentley.

22. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I have a friend who loves his Bentley, with F1.

23. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    The black 94 was for sale by original Swedish owner in December 2012. He and I corresponded - with effort- a few times. Car had something 'wrong' so he parked it for years, in need of service so badly he didn't even want it started, necessitating a near $300 tow bill to Luigi's in Sarasota to diagnose, so I reluctantly passed.

Owner also said the car was a 93, NOT a 94, and would've sold for $55k. I figure new owner spent bt 10-14k to get it where it is, the car becoming a 94 in the process. He 'promised' to call, first day of auction, never did. After my reminder, cryptically said 'sold'. Sometimes little things leave big hints.

24. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Because you're just too cool to put the info here?

Man, I'm really tired of your self-important attitude. You need a reality check because your 5hit DOES stink just like everybody else.

25. 308430Mike

308430Mike Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So true, recently purchased a car that was supposed to have a major service, a few years ago. My guy told me they were some of the worst belts he ever saw, he thought it may never have been done.
    always pays to have it done for your own piece of mind. I would rather look for a car that says it needs it, then pay extra up front.