Where are all the TR adds? | FerrariChat

Where are all the TR adds?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by OptimusPrime, Mar 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I noticed only about about 15 TR's for sale at AutoTrader and only a few on eBay. In last 4 years I have never seen so few for sale. What do you thinK is reason?

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    People have realized what a great car the TR is and they aren't selling them.

3. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #3 ozziindaus, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've noticed the same thing too. Slim pickings to say the least. Here's my summary of the Ebay offerings with my cheap shot comments :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I get daily emails when TR's pop up. Lately they have been one or two cars a day....if that. Hardly anything on Ebay. 6 months ago there were 15 TR's at any given time.

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Personally, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's seasonal......at least the eBay listings but then again, the selling/driving season is upon us so have at it.

6. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I also see the asking prices are higher. Not that I'm buying... Unless I can get the spare tire from the "boot" listing:). I,m just waiting for snow to melt and first rain so I can get er back out on the road.

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was planning on firing her up today but they forecasted snow all day. Now I'm pissed because it didn't snow. Can't win with this weather.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #8 Spasso, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    The market has been soft, and will continue to be soft on TR's.
    I've been watching it since 2005.
    Why?

A few of the reasons that I have heard and read about (and observed) are these:

* Perceived by the general public,
    - It's an older Ferrari that by today's standards is relatively slow.
    - The design is dated.
    - It's not loaded with the creature comforts that most are experiencing in even your average Camry.
    - I've heard complaints that it isn't that easy to drive (around town especially), you know, manual steering, clutch etc... (not that that ever bothered me)
    - A TR is expensive to properly maintain.

In addition to the above,
    * Perceived by those that have researched the car and done their homework,
    - The melting main circuit panel.
    - The welded differential carrier issue. To some that is serious, to others, not so.
    Repairs can range from 5k to 20k depending on whether you fix it before it breaks or after, OR you just roll the dice....
    - Those that bought their TR before 2008 when the market was hot are probably upside down on their car right now, hence another reason not to advertise.

I could go on but looking at today's market there is a lot of competition from a wide variety of really good performance cars in the same price range as a well sorted TR.

A sale for a good price would have to go to a person that flat out LOVES the TR for what it is, shortcomings and all.

Until the market gets better on TR's I will just sit on mine like the other owners are.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    And you are also part of the problem with lists like this....

There are over 7,000 cars, yet maybe 30 guys have reported the diff and melted box issue of a Testarossa on here.

Even a broken clock tells perfect time 2 times a day.

I guess Dino's are 10x the car then ? I guess they don't have issues and are cheap ? Dinos apparently are least rust worthy ferrari's I guess ? ;)

Spasso, I'm not ragging in you, it's just posts like these are only common in here ...not the entire Testarossa ownership.

I still am puzzled with your performance comparison....I guess the gto at $70m now is pathetic as a 4cyl mini van is faster off the line.

I just don't get you owners with these kinds of posts and talking down your cars.

Do you guys do the same thing with others when referring to your wives, children, house and stocks when you talk to others?
    ;)

10. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Maybe TR's are finally being owned by real car guys and they are holding on to them ??? The guys that when in their younger years just lusted after the unobtainable supercars of the 80's.

11. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's what happened to me :)

12. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    - It's an older Ferrari that by today's standards is relatively slow.

So are classic 911, Daytonas, Countach, etc., not the right reason

- The design is dated.

Very subjective. I think it looks beautiful and like nothing else, plus it reflects its era so well. But one might not like the 80's look, it doesn't mean it's dated.

- It's not loaded with the creature comforts that most are experiencing in even your average Camry.

This must make a Miura the least desirable car on this planet then!

- I've heard complaints that it isn't that easy to drive (around town especially), you know, manual steering, clutch etc... (not that that ever bothered me)

That's what I was looking for in a classic supercar! It vibrate ax it's rough, you need to learn it, etc. I would have bought a Nissan GTR otherwise.

- A TR is expensive to properly maintain.

That explains why Diablos costs half the price of a TR... :)

In addition to the above,
    * Perceived by those that have researched the car and done their homework,
    - The melting main circuit panel.
    ok, this affects all TRs, but there is a relatively cheap and permanent solution thanks to Dave Helms.

- The welded differential carrier issue. To some that is serious, to others, not so.

I agree, this one is a mind game.

Repairs can range from 5k to 20k depending on whether you fix it before it breaks or after, OR you just roll the dice....

That's indeed scary, but it's true with any supercar. Any.

I think these arguments are fair if you're talking about a used car, Ferraris are not typical used cars.

13. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe

Same here :)

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Almost the same for me!

15. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Had to do it too.

PS. are you swapping out the diff as a precautionary measure or did it BLOW?

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I do it as a upgrade, preventive repair. I'm not rich to play russian roulette with that kind of possible disaster.
    The upgrade is not cheap but is cheaper than a breaking when in use. I will enjoy my drivings with her much more if I don't have to worry about it.

I always wanted a Countach and missed the boat when I should have pull the trigger. Now they are out of reach for me. I don't want to do the same mistake twice. I don't think there would have been a better time to buy a TR, they may never go higher in value but if they do I will already have one.

17. testarossa717

testarossa717 Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2007
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I am not sure if like your avatar, Hans Solo, you live in a Galaxy far, far away but here on Planet Earth the Testarossa has been steadily appreciating. Michael (MSDESIGN) sold his for $135K or thereabout and Haig(TestarossaLover) sold his 45 K mile Testarossa for $70K. If Haig's TR had 15K miles he would have probably broke $100K as well. Both sold within the last month. Look at some of the asking prices in Dupont, when is the last time you saw asking prices like that.

You know I expect this type of rhetoric from the occasional lurker who comes on swearing that he could buy a Testarossa for $9,000 but not from an owner who should know better.

Tell Chewbacka I said hello.

18. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    +1, it sure has.

19. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I read an article recently (forgot which magazine) on 80s cars being the next cars to appreciate in a big way, sort of the way the muscle-cars from the 60s and 70s did - and the values on those cars will drop as people sell them. Us Gen-X'ers are lusting after the cars we had as posters as kids and read about in Car and Driver, ultimately driving up prices.

The TR will continue to appreciate - and I don't think we're far from seeing $100k prices more the norm with 512s fetching in the 150s.

20. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Actually most collector cars are appreciating. Economy is much better than years past and people are not scared to open the wallet. Some cars are in a frenzy. Hopefully it cools just a little so the bubble wont pop too soon. Don't want to see a repeat of the late 80's early 90's. But maybe I do... an F40 after the crash @250K would be nice :D

21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Here are the highlights of the Testarossa

1) a direct descendant of the f1 engine that raced in the 70s on the 312t
    2) this engine went down In Ferrari race history as the most reliable , this engine won 27 races, 4 constructors, and three drivers titles before it was replaced in 1981. This engine is in our boxers, and Testarossa.
    3) iconic design and last 12 launch under Enzo's umbrella before his death
    4) considered the super car of the 80s internationally for all markets.
    5) the best technology available and ferrari's last 12 cyl in the rear
    6) the best user friendly , daily driving 12 cyl with a formula one engine
    7) to get a formula one engine today, you have to get an f50, or Enzo in the configuration
    8) drives raw like a race car should , not like a video game
    9) you will never get another formula car like this again for 75k
    10) god isn't making any more
    11) finding a cherry one for 100k is a bargain over an m3 new BMW

The list is so long on the upside of the Testarossa that there are too many people sleeping on what kind of car this is for 75 grand.

Once people realize what this car really is ....they will kick themselves in the head for not buying it early.

Truly the last classic raw , engaging Ferrari that won't break the bank.

Try and buy one without the mouse traps, and you have an awesome car !

22. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Did not know about the F1 heritage. In fact, I heard that the TR was one of the few that was NOT race inspired unlike the Testa Rossa. Thanks

23. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think want ads have dropped on most middle tier Ferrari's - the ones between classic and modern. TRs, 3x8, 355s...maybe the owners are hoping there is suddenly going to be a pop in prices. For me, I doubt it, but if it happens I won't complain. Higher prices aren't going to induce me to sell, as I didn't get in for the money.

24. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom

If I take all the emotion and personal feelings about my TR out of the discussion, It comes down to economics. In the simplest terms, inflation occurs when there's too much money in the system chasing too few goods = (not many TR's for sale). On the flip side, deflation occurs when there are too few dollars in circulation chasing a lot of goods= (lots of TR's for sale).

Hang on boys :)

25. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    This is right reason to get into any of the cars .... Regardless of price fluctuation you have the car you love .... But if it goes up to high the advantage one would have is they got into the car before it got out of reach.
    If these cars every hit 500k I for one would not be able to afford the insurance on the car, and be more nervous....BUT, that would be a good problem to have, as opposed to being upside on the car.
    I recall when Dayton's were 200k when I bought my Testarossa , it's easy to say now I should have stretched, but in reality, 200k was out of reach for me back then as it is today with them trading in the 600s.
    It's all relative.
    One thing we can , or should all agree on, is for 75k, this car is beyond cheap for what you get. It's still is a super car ... I think boxers are too cheap still in the recent 200s that the last few sold that I've seen.