Has everyone seen the new Car & Driver? | FerrariChat

Has everyone seen the new Car & Driver?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by James_Woods, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Yes - the Testarossa makes the cover yet again...

Old versus New comparison test against the new Corvette.

They pick the Testarossa on points of pure character and style.

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL no, I haven't seen it although I think I am subscribed so I should get it soon. Did they give us a shout out for our replies to their request for MSRP numbers?

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    That sounds like a back handed compliment for the Testarossa.

4. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The article does say that if this is what a vintage Ferrari was really like to drive, then it is not for the faint of heart. Ultra-stiff steering, difficult gearshift, etc...

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

That sounds complimentary!!

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Isn't that what a vintage Ferrari is though ? No power steering, no abs ?

Or are all reporters nowadays too lazy to even know how to use a gated shifter that requires brains to operate ?

Geez ...

What was your take on the article ? I won't be able to get here in Canada I'm sure for a few more weeks.

7. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My local magazine depot does not have it yet. Could anyone post the article.

8. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    My dad dropped it on my desk today, then had me spend the rest of the day working on a large lease. So I never got to read it, I'll check it out tomorrow!

9. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Quaint, short article. The writer essentially says hands down the C7 is the better car, but a modern car that does everything for the driver, it leaves nothing to the imagination. On the other hand the TR is a throwback to a different time, it requires skill, knowledge and a strong left leg to operate. The writer recognizes the purity of the TR and shows his appreciation. I think secretly the writer wanted to glow about the TR more than he did, but GM is buying ads in his magazine, not Ferrari-LOL:)

10. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    It will be the only issue of Car and Driver Magazine I have bought in 15-20 years....Car and Driver itself is a throwback to a different time...

11. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I didn't say that the magazine itself was any good (same for R&T), just reporting any Testarossa news.

12. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    And I thank you for telling us about the cover as I will buy it because of the TR article. I used to read both C&D and R&T religiously but there are so many choices these days.

13. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    The TR is on the cover, but it is a tiny photo, in the lower right hand corner.

14. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry
    Will scan the article tonight and post it.

15. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks Robert, I really appreciate that. Really cool of you!!

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The article hit the nail right on the head. Proper classic sports cars are so incredibly engaging. The Testarossa requires you to work, and work hard. I enjoy the challenge of driving a car that affords you no quarter. Even my little MGB…no power steering, power brakes, nothing.

At the risk of offending, I feel that all modern sports cars just pander to the driver. They are almost insulting… From BMW playing an engine soundtrack through the speakers and modern Ferrari's ridiculously artificial soundtrack to the endless parade of electronic nannies that make even the most ham fisted driver think he is the reincarnation of Senna. When I drive the Testarossa spiritedly on a country road, I get out and I am literally sweating and sore and I feel like I have accomplished something-- even at speeds that don't endanger those around me. Unlike modern cars where you have to drive Mach 1 to have any understanding of what the cars limits are. These modern sports car guys just don't know what they are missing! I have owned a few modern sports cars and driven countless others, the only one I ever really loved was the Miata--which incidentally didn't have any electronic aids whatsoever---go figure.

17. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I agree!

18. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  19. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry
    #19 RQtetto, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lol, awesome. Thanks for the scans!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

21. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Rob,
    You are the best!! 5 other guys are giving their readers digest version of the article instead of taking a minute out to post it.

Thanks Again.

22. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If I read that article correctly, they're anticipating further depreciation for the TR?

Also, is it me or does the Corvette look like an adolescent teenager with braces in the front? And, as the article says, if people are mistaking it for a Ferrari, is it really serving its purpose - selling Corvettes? I wonder how many people see it and think it's a Ferrari that costs way out of their price range, when in reality, they could probably afford it?

23. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I recall there was a Car and Driver quick request for a Testarossa MSRP a few weeks ago...I assume it was tied to this article (possibly?!?).

24. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I predict a resurgence of interest in these grand old ladies from this article.

25. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    imo the TR still looks Great.. impressive in a way that you can see it was
    designed and born to be something "Special". The Vette will surely drive and
    be the "better" car but frankly, who cares?!