Computer interface for TR? | FerrariChat

Computer interface for TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Apr 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Anyone know of a way to hook up to the TR computer / ECUs and get an understanding of the data that's available?

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Because the TR is not OBDI or OBDII it doesn't have a central computer, therefore, no real data or stored codes..

The easiest way to get a look at how all of the systems (fuel/air/spark) on the TR are doing is hook it up to a diagnostic scope. (I'm not talking about a code reader).
    You can observe the health of all the systems in real time while the car is running.

Just about any shop has one and all dyno shops have them.

I seem to recall a port under the LH fender that was available for some sort of Ferrari diagnostic tool (back in the day) but from what I remember it didn't do as much as one of today's scopes.

Rifledriver can answer the question far better than I.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You are referring to the Jofatron K8S, which connects to the port over the LH wheel arch on some (not early, not late) Testarossa. As I recall this was essentially a (very expensive) breakout box. Shops in my area don't use them (don't even have them).

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the info. What kinds of at-home scopes are available for the casual garage hobbyist? Will any one do or I'm assuming I'd need one that can handle 12 cylinders?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The Jofatron is only for the (TR MicroPlex) ignition system -- for the KE-Jet injection system, it's the 25-pin breakout box, Diagnosis Sheet No.6 (corrected), and a voltmeter ;)

7. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    As someone that is pretty hands on mechanically and electrically, I'd be reluctant to mess with all that unless I had a problem. Is that box or any of the electronic boxes something that should be played with unless you REALLY knew what you are doing? One minor slip crossing wires, you fry a hard to get and expensive "something".

8. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    No Canbus plug, rats!:)

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yes, thank you.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    It is not in any way a break out box.

And actually, yes, there are a few around the area. But as for using them you might be correct. They were pretty worthless. We always called them the Jokeatron.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is nothing about either the ignition or fuel sytem that cannot be diagnosed and serviced with pretty simple over the counter diagnostic tools. If it is a version with the KE fuel system the best money that can be spent is on a good Bosch book describing the theory and operation of the system. Once you know that there is very little that cannot be done with a VOM and a set of pressure gauges. In reality it has been such a relable system there is little chance you will even need that. The piece of equipment I use more than any other for service and diagnostics for the K and KE system is a 4 gas exhaust analyzer.

12. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    For my '71 Mercedes 3.5 coupe, which has the Bosch D-Jetronic injection system, I copied a Bosch fuel system manual off the internet. It covered the various systems...D, K & KE . I'll try to find the link.

13. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Brian, thanks for the input. That is reassuring!

14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the info everyone! And Jaguar 15 if you do find that link I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

15. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Awesome! Thanks!