512 BB realistic value | FerrariChat

512 BB realistic value

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Apr 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #1 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Greetings to the BB Lovers.

What do you think, a realistic value of a good driver, red/black, around 60.000 km, Service done with all belts. Car is in Europe.

Classicdriver.com market: http://www.classicdriver.com/de/cars/ferrari/512-bb-1976-1984

Mobile.de market: http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/ferrari-512.html?isSearchRequest=true&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&lang=de&scopeId=C&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=19&minFirstRegistrationDate=1975-01-01&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1985-12-31

Thank's for helping.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I am concerned that you will not get good price guidance on the web. on one hand, those that do not own them may not know the dynamically changing market...they may give you a false sense of price and direct you low. those that own them may not actually know the current value either. the best course would be to call a well known broker and get his thoughts of a budget that you should shoot for. that budget will be contingent on bb version, condition and history. ...then begin the hunt.

but to answer your question, it is really best to understand your personal thoughts on a "realistic" price? you must have some thoughts on what a boxer is worth to you?

we may be able to guide you from there.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    125.000 to 140.000 Euros

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    never trust a car broker

right ! only you may decide by your own how much the car would be worth - for you

in this forum you only may get info about what you like to know. so you ask and ask and ask. finally you will pay an amonut that is in your budget. and later when you drive the BB you never think on how much you payed. this car makes so much fun to drive. but if you like to get this car as a "always look at and never drive car" then there would be a better investment.

5. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Good luck finding one who will sell a good carb 512 BB in Europe for this.

I would say at least 170 to 200 Euro and then it is "only" a good driver

Cheers

6. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #6 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    200.000 euros, really? Wow. The market has moved quite a bit in the last 24 months

8. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    It is almost staggering how the market has moved on Boxers, the last 6 months have been where most of the action has taken place.

9. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    about time, by the way. I still think they are underpriced in the market at these levels.

10. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Just think where it would be if our darn TR's weren't holding them back!

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day William.

Indeed. However, I remember the late 80s' when the last major run up occurred and then saw what happened afterwards. I am always nervous when there is a rapid escalation in price... with anything, not just cars. Granted the Boxers were at depressed prices for a long time, but still... That being said I am glad that I purchased mine when I did.

Cheers,

Sam

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Exactly what has happened - take a look at current vintage Ferrari values (if you haven't for a while)... Through the roof... like another bubble.

13. SFM5s159

SFM5s159 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    I'm new to the Boxer world (better late than never, huh?) and as a prospective buyer I am concerned that the rapid rise in just 6 months won't be sustained. Damn hard to say.
    I narrowed my search for a Ferrari model to the 512bb based on all of the qualities that have been espoused here. I won't repeat them all, but suffice it to say that I liked the model at a certain price point. They are rapidly getting there and more, so I have a dilemma: Buy now during the rise, or gamble and hope for a slight pullback?

I'm hoping to buy now and ride it out. I'm buying because I'm a fan; not for the upside.

As for value, who knows? I am aware of a couple bb's changing hands in the last 30 days at $150k or slightly less. Both cars had needs, so take that for what it's worth.

Seems that demand in Europe is greater, or rather higher prices are supported there for some reason...

Mike

14. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Scottsdale this year, this was a great car, see: 1979 Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer | Gooding & Company

Well bought I say ...

•Less than 17,000 Original Kilometers
    • Optimally Maintained
    • Imported and Prepared for US Regulations by Dick Fritz’s Amerispec
    • Offered with Books and Tools
    • Cornerstone of Maranello’s Flat-Twelve Road Cars

Estimate: $180,000 - $220,000 | Without Reserve

SOLD: $187,000

Chassis: F102BB*27167

Engine: F102B000*00375

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Thanks for the link and the info! I will start a Documentation thread to include this and the pictures of the car.

Cheers,

Sam

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats when Enzo died, that probably won't happen again :)

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Yup... that is what precipitated the rapid price escalation, however, if $$$ were not available at the time then the prices would not have escalated to the point they did. Another point is if Enzo's death was the sole reason for the rapid price increase, why did they not stay at the levels they did... after all Enzo was still deceased. Instead the prices fell big time and remained so for a number years before a little rally, then a pull back, then the rally we are seeing now. Are the prices sustainable? I do not know... All I do know is that I get nervous with rapid price increases... and I am seeing them in other areas and not just in cars. I only wish my income matched the increases.

Cheers,

Sam

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

don't forget how easy underwriting was back in 89. lenders like Essex and mid-bank were dolling out classic and exotic car loans like they were going out of style. those days are gone.

lenders like those mentioned are either long gone or do not loan money w/o a more rigorous decisioning process.

19. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    After August Pebble auctions IMO:
    BBi & BB's = $225K-$325K
    365 BB = $400-$500K

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Never imported here, big car, relative to other Ferraris before, or since..

IMO the "value" climb is a slow moving train, on good cars.
    If you buy a fright pig with lots of needs at today's escalated values you might well be driving underwater for a long time..

BUT you'd be driving a Boxer!

YMMV..

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You have a far more enthusiastic view of the future of the US economy than I, for the next three years...

We will see......

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice!

And thank you for your pictures!

Plastic on the door sills, after all these years!!!

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    as several members here will tell you, a bb with needs can be a long story. even one that appears not to have needs can be a long story.

i would prefer to buy a very complete original that has some mechanical needs, but has a perfect body and interior. then remove the engine, tranny, etc, and redo everything. count on 30-50k to do it right.

then you have a good car. and this is most likely part of the price rise issue - some folks have finally figured out that to get one thats sorted they really need to pay up. the crap cars will still be available at lower prices, so worth shuffling through them to find one with potential.

this model will go to 300k before year end.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    @ this model will go to 300k before year end. @

You may be right Ross, but still you must find a buyer .... and that is for those prices extremely difficult.

We have a very mint 512BB, super nice car here for sale for around KEuro 200 but not a buyer yet ....

But yes: you do only need one ... :)

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for 300k I also would sell mine :) - yet, not in 10 years :)