How did you get interested in Boxers? | FerrariChat

How did you get interested in Boxers?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Apr 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just a question : how did you Boxer owners get exposed to /learn about / fall in love with Boxers? 308s and TRs were so overexposed in the media that you couldn't help but fall in love with them. To my knowledge, no similar exposure existed for the Boxer, so how did you guys begin your love affair with them?

2. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    As a young boy I the '80s I collected dozens and dozens of die-cast cars. One I most vividly remember was. Red/black, black 512bb. It was one of my favorites. It was made by bburago. The engine compartment was very detailed. It had an accurate spare tire and I believe a little brown tool case that fit next to the spare. I also remember the working wiper blade. Unlike most of the models that sat on the shelf, I played with this one, a lot. I had to use my mother's nail polish as touch-up paint. As a young kid I didn't "know" about Boxers, I just knew I really liked that car.

3. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    That is classic, love the touch up paint!

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I was working at a summer job in 1982, and I would go out at lunch to buy a sandwich and eat it in the sun. My usual perch overlooked a parking lot in downtown Geneva, and there was a guy who parked his 512 bbi there every day. I must have looked at the car for a month - red over black. And I said to myself, someday i would own it. And I did.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    shortly after I got my first 250 GT/E in 1975 or 76 I have been at a F meeting in baden-baden. there I have seen 1st time in my life in real a 365 GT 4 BB in pearl white with an exhaust sounding like a race car. I took a lot of pictures but just now I can not find anymore. since that time such a car has always be my dream car. then from 1983 or 89 I imported cars from the LA area to germany. there I have been at a F meeting in september 1983 at the riverside race track and I have been lucky because one of the 512 BB owners took me with him in his car for a few turns on the track. I don´t remember his name but even it is long ago I have to say again a very big thank you to him. may be he is around in this forum? it was a red BB and I removed him the wiper arm because this was in the way in one curve :). that time a part of my dream came true - I was driving ( even only as passenger ) in a 512 BB.
    later then in my garage I repaired and maintained some 512 BB and BBi. also in 1987 I got for examination a black 365 GT 4 BB koenig. it has been seized by the german gorvernment because of tax violation from the owner. this car I wanted to buy then but at that time I had not the money to do so :(
    and then in 2005 I found between my TR competition the 512 BB I still have. and I´m really pround to be an owner of such a nice car :) :) :)

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The Boxer was the pin up Ferrari of my generation. I always thought that if I was going to have one of them, that I would prefer a TR. And I had no real desire for one of them. Being more attracted to other cars.

Then I saw a photo image of the 1978 IMSA LeMans entry of Pozzi / Thomson which I feel is incredibly photogenic. Heroic even. So, I started buying parts. Today, I think one of the originals is available. So I may have a team with a tribute and an authentic one.

But then I will want an authentic Pozzi Daytona and possibly a small bore to fill out the pit. :)

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great stories, thanks for the info!