Guilt by #*%$#@ Association! | FerrariChat

Guilt by #*%$#@ Association!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by okiedude, Apr 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Don't drive your Ferrari around cars who are going considerably faster than you.
    Coming back from C&C this morning, I now have a whopping 44 miles behind the wheel. The freeway has a number of cars who have just left C&C along with the regular traffic We are playing a little bit 80-90 on a couple of long open stretches of road, no crazy in and out of traffic though, and we all slow down 75-80 about 2 miles from a known congested interchange, essentially running with the flow of traffic. There is a black late model Porsche and black SRT8 Charger/Challenger thingie about a 1/4 mile in front of myself and a 300ZX, they actually step it up as we approach said congested area, my guess 120+- and go off slicing in and out of traffic(looked scary to me). There is a motorcycle cop on the opposite side of the freeway, I actually see him look at the two black cars, I mean he snapped his neck when he saw them, he whips into a turnout puts on his lights and guns it. I see the cop in my mirror flying up on us, straddling the lane between cars (dangerous in itself). He gets between me and the 300 zx and starts pointing for us to pull over, (nevermind the pathfinder in front of me who is pulling away). I had pulled over onto the shoulder a little because I thought for sure he was going to keep going after the black cars. We both pull over and the cop is fuming, screaming/spitting at us wanting to know why we "are going so fast" and who are our friends in the black cars. He gets in my face and asks again the same thing about "my friends in the black cars and why are you going so fast". I tell him I was maybe going 75 and why aren't you chasing the black cars. He even stated he knew the black cars were going well over 100 then rips my license and insurance out of my hand. The dude in the 300 is basically saying the same thing to the cop, we are both confused, he's shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders. Cop comes back writes us both tickets, 70 in 60 and tells us to "slow it down" (typical). Of course while all this is going on, the cops buddy on another bike pulls up, they talk and point. I'm sure he realized he pulled over the wrong people, but didn't want to lose face in front of his partner.
    This is probably one of a brazzilian "I got pulled over by a cop" threads here on Fchat, just thought I would share one more part of my new ownership experience:)
    PS Everyone at C&C loved the TR, it was big hit. Got to answer lots of question and no one asked me if it was a kit car!

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you have a RED car?
    then it is normnal that the cop will take you out and not the black cars. red color is too agressive for those kind of people and easier to see than black cars.
    also typical for those worldwide: if they catch you and your nose is not as they like they are bringing out the power they don´t have.
    but nevertheless you may be happy that he was not confiscating your car. in switzerland this happens sometimes that is the reason I hate driving in switzerland, even it is just around my corner here.

3. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    #3 okiedude, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Get used to it, right-LOL!
    I really wanted to get out and take a picture, but thought that might really piss them off.

5. dspellbe

dspellbe Karting

Jun 21, 2013
    I would highly recommend a laser/radar detector with jamming capability (has saved me multiple times) & just like running from a bear or tiger, never be last!

6. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    He never even hit us with radar. Strictly visual. My V1 works pretty well, It's saved my butt many times. Jamming is something to consider. He didn't really have time for a good clocking, maybe a 1/4 mile?

7. dspellbe

dspellbe Karting

Jun 21, 2013
    Not being a lawyer (but getting too many tickets) strictly visual as his proof is the easiest method to disprove, especially if he did the math figures in his head. I would go to court on this one.

8. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I plan on it, on principle.

9. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I don't know where Remulak is, but be sure that your state doesn't have a penalty for a jammer. Some of pretty tough on stuff like that. (wish I had the brass to use one, lol!)

where is your C&C gathering?
    Congrats on your car, this is just a small hiccough in the big picture of satisfied ownership.
    Cheers,
    W

10. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Bummer. For your sake, contest it in court (I know it's a waste of taxpayer money) and have it reduced to a non moving violation and hope your insurance company does not catch wind of it. With my experience, they ALWAYS find out.

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You're going to lose, you made the mistake of telling him you were going 75. Hard to argue a ticket for 70 when you admitted to going 75.

12. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    31,000 miles driving my TR, been pulled over many times. However, I have never gotten a ticket. They really go easy on me.

13. dspellbe

dspellbe Karting

Jun 21, 2013
    I disagree. No way the officer can explain he wrote a ticket for 70 mph if it was really 75 mph, and without some documentation other than based on visual calculations. I think a lawyer would get it dismissed easily, at least here in Florida.

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That's why they always ask you if you know how fast you were going. If you tell them, you have just admitted to speeding and it's very tough to fight it.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

One thing I learned a long time ago is when jerks start driving like idiots stay away and don't become part of the problem. Big groups of cars traveling way over the speed limit is a bad thing. I'm sure the cops are aware of the routes some of the people use when they leave a gathering. Learn and move on.

Here in NY, we would gather down at the beach, many types of cars and hundreds on any given Sunday. Some of the idiots thought it was a great place to do burnouts and other dumb things, causing the cops to be more prickish as they hear it from people who own homes nearby. Enjoy your car in the privacy of a very few close fiends who "get it", Speeding tickets will give you a bunch of trouble with insurance.

Enjoy the kit car and have fun.

16. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Kit car? Do you know something we don't? :D

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    He will certainly pay something but he won't get a points speeding citation if he shows up in court, even if they had him on radar. They will bump it down to a "no points speed" or "muffler violation." The municipalities want the cash.

18. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Here's a novel idea...how about just obeying the law. You openly admitted going 75 in a 60 mph zone. You are lucky he cut you a break and only wrote you for 70.

Why would you think he would be embarrassed??? You were the one who broke the law and got caught. That is not guilt by aassociation, that is guilt by breaking the law.

If you want to speed go to the track like normal people do.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please has the insurance to do with a ticket?
    sorry please for my question, but here in germany you may get each day 10 tickets and the insurance don´t care about.

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Here in the US, at least in New York state where I live, there is a points system for tickets. The worst ticket is a moving violation and the worst moving violation is a speeding ticket. Get to a certain point level annd they will take away your license. Traveling over 100mph will get you thrown in Jail and car impounded.

Insurance compaine will be made aware of your bad behaviour and will either cancel your policy or charge you excessive surcharges. We have certain insurance companies who insure our collector cars and they offer very low rates, but won't take you if you have ticket for certain offenses, so it is not good to get tickets.

Sounds like a more interesting way where you are; pay to play without recourse to insurance. What about your license? What happens to that.

21. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Here's my experience with Insurance Premiums and Tickets.

Insurance Premiums most certainly increase every year in Michigan regardless of claims and good driving history. Best option to reduce them is to change Insurance companies and take advantage of their "sweetener deal" to have you swap over. It's a given that your rates will increase after the second year so start looking around when they do. I have never made an insurance claim (car, home or otherwise) in my entire life however rates go up for other reasons.

In regard to tickets, as stated earlier, you should take advantage of the appeal system and "cut a deal" with the officer to reduce the infraction to a "no point" violation and be prepared to pay immediately. This is no time to act hostile so suck it up. You must however check that the violation was indeed reduced or you'll look like a lier when renewing your policy. Again, insurance companies have full access to your driving record.

In my case:

Fine = $180 (paid in court)
    Premium increase = $300/year for 3 years (3 cars insured)
    Total cost of ticket = over $1000......and for what?? :(

PS. Even if you get away from disclosing a legitimate speeding fine to your insurance company, doesn't mean they wont find out when it comes time to make a claim so be very careful here.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for explaining. here in germany the insurance don´t care about speeding tickets or some other tickets. here even if you have no driver lisence you get insurance for your car and other may drive it.
    good question: we have here a long list what will happen when you do what. so only the most important parts:

speeding in town up to 20 km/h more: 35 € out of town 30€
    speeding in town from 20 to 25 km/h more: 80€ and 1 point, out of town 70 € and also 1 point
    speeding in town from 25 to 30 km/h more: 100€ and 3 points, out of town 80€ and 3 points
    30 - 40 km/h in town 160€, 3 ponits and 1 month without license, out of town 120€ and if stopped again within 1 year additional 1 month without license
    41 - 50 in town 200€ plus 4 points plus 1 month without lisence, out of town 160 plus 3 points plus 1 month without license
    51 - 60 in town 280€ plus 4 points plus 2 month without license, out of town 240€ plus 4 points plus 1 month without license
    61 - 70 in town 480€ plus 4 points plus 3 month without license, out of town 440€ plus 4 points plus 2 month without license
    more than 70 in town 680€ plus 4 points plus 3 month without license, out of town 600€ plus 4 points plus 3 month without license

if you have more than 18 points you give the license back for minimum 1 year and have then to make new. but this point system will be changed here soon or may be is already changed? I don´t know.

but this all has nothing to do with the insurance

23. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Here in OK, they love to write you for up to 10 over. They don't put that on your record, report it to the DMV. 11 0ver the limit goes on your record. Not sure how that works, but that is how they do it here.

24. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I suppose I could do the limit in that location, but it will get ugly when I get rammed in the rear end by some soccer mom in a mini-van. I'm not saying I didn't brake the law, I openly admitted that, this is not my first ticket in 39 years of driving, either. I'm no saint, sorry. My only point was the cop readily admitted seeing other cars running hard in heavy traffic in excess of 100 mph, but he chose to pull me over instead when all I was doing was running the same speed as the other 50 cars around me. Plus he totally freaked out, if he was so upset about the other cars, he should have chased them instead of taking it out on me.
    Regarding going to the track, I have over 7,000 miles at our local road race track, Hallett, here in OK. That includes about 40 track days, two race class championships and two race class runner up years. I graduated from the Bondurant School 5 day competition class in 1976 and got my SCCA racing license on my 18th birthday at Riverside International Raceway in 1977.Since, I have been actively involved in both club racing and vintage racing (including a dozen Monterey Historic's). I've been both an SCCA and DE instructor. Frank, I've been to the "track". :)

25. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Nice.