First season drive | FerrariChat

First season drive

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, Apr 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Last sunday was a magnificent day. My son and I rolled the boxer out the garage, checked it over cranked it up and went for a drive.

By way of comparison i have been using my E46 M3 the past few weeks.

Whatever people imagine the performance numbers to be or not, the boxer is a magnificent drive, especialy compatred to moderns. A steering that si heavy at paring speeds is on the road direct with no slop and great weighting. the ability to precicesly place the car is leaps ahead of any modern Ps system where one tends to overcontrol.

The gearbox if warm and shifted up the rev range is a delight. the motor is once again responsive in a way that lazy moderns are not, its so well balanced too that revs are a smooth musical joy not a vibretey thrash.. There is plenty of power to despatch modern traffic, and it just pulls and pulls. Where the BMw feels faster in the lower gears and speeds, by 120 the BMw is into slow accleration and aero drag. The boxer on the other hand hits its stride at towards the top of third(90-105) and 4th is magic with serious trust all the way through. I guess that is how we found ourselves at the redline in 4th and chasing into 5th.

Early sunday am, before spring, before traffic, and you just go.

There may be faster and grippeir cars today, but for a crisp sunday morning drive on roads, I cant think of one more fun and peasurable. Well maybe a BB512M will be better.

2. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Sean, that was a very nice "leaving the office" smile you brought to my face! Can't wait to open my garage door (guess I feel like that almost every time anyway). It is coming down this weekend for sure.

Truly, special machines.
    Cheers,
    William

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Excellent post Sean, thanks for the visual! Looking forward to getting mine out very soon followed by a full report with period Koenig mods and XWX tires. The Berlin 9000 goose neck radio, gauges marked in Italian and the smell of fuel, now all I need is Italian loafers and steel framed sun glasses with green lenses. :)

The M engine will change your story a bit ;)

4. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    high-five for posting this, can't wait for saturday to do the same. and i miss my boxer now like never before.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its always interesting the progression of the driving season. By mid summer a Boxer is just too hot to ride around in dring the afternoon even if the ac sort of works, with the sun and sills its a greenhouse. So for me mid summer is early morning shortish drives in the boxer to keep it all going nicely, but something different(m3) for longer road use or (lotus)track. Then the fall becomes boxer driving season again, and its fresh and fun..

Some days these cars are a pain, feel hot, soft at the limts and fast but not that fast. Other days its all comes together and you get in the groove in a way no other car can approach. Its certainly entertaining on the road in a way other dont get close to. I think it all comes down to your mood, energy, time of day, conditions and roads and having the car in good form.

One thing for sure, after driving the boxer, the M3 is just blah, wheras normaly it feels quite quick and alive.