1980 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 32545 | FerrariChat

1980 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 32545

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Apr 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I bet the asking price will be north of $250k...I could be wrong however. thoughts?

2. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    I spoke with someone at Canepa today about the car. They have yet to go over the car and could not discuss pricing until they did so. However, based on the conversation about current values of good carbed cars and where they price their vehicles in the market after their thorough going over, expect over $300k for this one.

3. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    JSYK, car is supposedly original paint and leather. I noted this one does not have the side repeater lights just forward of the front wheel arches and questioned if this could be correct. I was told that it was. Mine does not have side repeaters and I was informed that my car MUST have had prior paint work. However, I believe my car to also have its original paint.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you for the intel.

5. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Yep, That's a beauty! Very clean.
    Canepa always does a great job with their cars.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #7 Newman, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Yes that was me that pointed out your lack of repeaters. It should have them, I can't see why Ferrari would produce the car (or cars) lacking lights that are a requirement for road use anywhere in the world especially by 1980! It can be a tough pill for anyone to swallow if a car was bought with the belief its all original to accept that its not. THis one being converted its a no-brainer it probably had the plymouth volare side markers and goofy bumpers which would explain the easily acquired BBi rear bumper vs the OEM carb'd version and no side repeaters. Its been painted which should be no surprise by now because it would be checked and cracked by now if it wasn't.

This 80 is interesting in that it has BBi rear fog lights (and bumper) and the speedo is 320MPH not 330MPH like other carb'd cars. 1982 was the beginning of the lesser speedo according to the parts books. Headers should be natural (black before they are driven).

I also don't get the lack of detail on the shocks vs the belly pan unless it was just spiffed up where it was easy to do so prior to listing (takes 10mins to remove the rears, fronts not so nice to do)

Hope it gets the money!

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #8 Newman, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Its a very nice car but because its being reported as original paint I have to point out some things, please just look at the boxer trim shine (should be satin, not to mention the belly of the bumper looks like the paint is a day old) and tell me thats 34 year old paint even on the chassis in the engine bay.

Heres a 79 original paint one owner boxer that sat inside for years and has little miles on it. The joys of Lacquer paint.

Look at the gas tank door hinge on this original paint car then look at the 1980 car in the ad.

Finally the lack of repeaters and incorrect black detail on the front clamshell overhang says not original paint, no, it screams repaint. BUT its a nice car that I would love to see in person and I love the brown interior I just wouldn't buy it based on the claim its original paint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #9 Newman, Apr 11, 2014
    I should have checked my chassis number list prior to posting.

My notes initially say Black on tan which I will take with a grain of salt because its a list I acquired years ago but the rest of the notes that I added to it say DOT partially undone, BBi rear bumper, red with chocolate interior. I don't recall what was not undone DOT-wise at the time I made the notes but there must have been something glaring for me to write that down.

9. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    I knew it was you. Didn't want to name names, just wanted a second opinion on the repeaters as I've seen many images of cars without them.

I'm really ok if my car doesn't have its original paint, I'm really happy with the purchase no matter what.

10. dspellbe

dspellbe Karting

Jun 21, 2013
    This only makes the truly original cars worth even more. I hope they get over 300K for this car, and with the prices rising now, a lot more boxers will probably start coming to the market.

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    What a nice car. Looks great with that brown interior. Canapa always brings out quality cars. At current prices (every one's estimating $300-$350 for this one) what else is out there with all the great attributes a carbed BB has? Just look at similar cars, the BBs are still a bargain. I've been looking at Miuras as of late and the prices are triple of the Boxer prices. Hard to justify. I just can't see that holding true for much longer. The BBs have been long under priced and the recent correction is justified and will keep going IMO.

Geno

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I love the brown interior!

Wasn't "Ferrari Compliance" Mardikian?

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Actually very easy to justify, about 1/3 of the production (for all Boxers) and from a more cherished time period. Plus, I imagine most would consider the Miura even more beautiful.

Not saying Boxers aren't wonderful, and are deserving of the recent bump....but not much of a comparison. Would MUCH rather have a Boxer than a Countach though.

14. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #15 geno berns, Apr 13, 2014
    Agreed, but when BBs when $100K cars not so long ago it did not make much sense for the Miura to be worth 6 - 15 times more depending on the variant. The Boxer and the Miura production numbers are both high if you compare to some other collectible cars we all love. Gotta have both a BB and a Countach ;-)

15. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Yes; collect the compleat set.