Radiator/oil cooler fan question | FerrariChat

Radiator/oil cooler fan question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by okiedude, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    My radiator fans come on when the car is running and sitting, should they also run after the car is shut off (like newer cars do)? Mine don't run once I shut if off, just curious. When do the oil cooler fans turn on, at what oil temp? I have yet to see them operating. Just trying to learn.
    Thanks!

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Radiator fans only operate with the key on (unlike many modern cars) so the only way to keep them on is to shut off the engine then switch the key back to position II to provide the 12v needed to run the fans. Some owners reportedly do this, leaving them on until they auto shut off.

For oil fans, I don't know the exact trigger point but it is fairly high. Due to the design, oil temps don't peak under "normal" driving conditions (IMO). Have never seen mine run either, and I drive in triple-digit weather in the summer. Most owners here have reported the same. Also, once the fans do turn on they will run until the ignition switch is turned off, regardless of oil temperature (unlike the water fans).

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    My water cooling fans shut down when I power down the car.

Oil temp never gets hot enough.

4. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Great, that is helpful. We'll be seeing triple digits here in OK soon enough-ugh!

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the switch for the oil radiator is not directly in the oil, only in the housing of the radiator. I once tested it and it closes at about 110°C so that the fan is running, but then the oil is much warmer.

6. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    What is the point of leaving them on after shutdown? The water is not circulating without the engine running...

Am I missing something?

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the water is circulating even the engine is shut off and the water pump then not running, but only a little circulating.

when you shut off the engine after a "hot" drive the heat can not go away with the water because the pump is not running. but because of the specific weight that the warm water has it is going to the top, so to the 2 thermostats, those are still open and the water goes into the radiators. if the fans would be still running even the ignition is off the water in the radiator would cool down soon and the cold ( so not so hot, cold is other ) water is then going into the engine again. this happens slowly, but it works.
    because of this I put on my right radiator a second thermo switch. so each radiator fan has now his own thermoswitch and they work independent from each other and also if the igintion is on or off

8. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Granted, there will be some circulation due to temperature differences. And MAYBE keeping the fans running on a separate system might help a little more. But I would certainly NEVER want to leave all my aging Italian electronic components energized for no reason. I have had older systems (early electronic ignition systems) die on me for just such reasons.