512 tr instrument fail + only 6 cylinders | FerrariChat

512 tr instrument fail + only 6 cylinders

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by janrbh17, Apr 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    I have had starterproblems like many others. So I sometimes "hotwire" the starter manually. After I did that today I noticed that most instruments don`t work ( Handbrakelight is out, oil pressure, water temp, rev and speedo also). The background light works and when I start up cyl 1-6 slow down-lamp appears ( as it should before it goes away). ABS lamp works.
    The usual "solenoidclick" and/ or engagement of the starter is completely gone now. When I hotwire the car and it starts, it sounds fine but I suspect it only runs on 6 cylinders. Has no power.
    The fuses seems to be OK
    Do anyone now what`s wrong? an answer with a quick fix solution is expected.....:)

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    please explain better:
    what happens when you only turn the ignition on ( so without starting ), what lamps are on and what not that are normaly on?
    what happens when you try to start? all lamps go out?
    when the engine runs does the oil pressure gauge shows right?
    what about fuel gauge?

3. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    when I turn the key to the point before starting I wil see "slow down 1-6" and ABS-light + background light. Normally I would also have "7-12 slow down" + handbrake + front and rear lid open ( if they were open, like they are now). None of those work anymore.
    Try to start: nothing happens. Not even the solenoid-click.
    When hotwired and engine running: oil pressure, water temp, rev counter and speedo are NOT working.
    fuel gauge have been strange for a long time with intermittent function. replaced sender unit + the gauge itself. Didn`t solve the problem. Also had intermittent speedo for a while ( replaced the speedo-sender today before the new trouble started...) and somtimes the rev counter fell to zero ( but only 4-5 times in a few years).

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Please introduce yourself to us first .....

How was the F car, what have been problems before.. ? Understand me right: it is NOT normal to hotwire a starter in an F.

So lots of things are wrong already.

If contacted, all lights should light up. If started, all should go out.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so it can not be a problem of bad ground

so also the burning lights shut not off?

this all seems for me a problem of plus wire form the battery over the fusebox to the ignition key.

just now I don´t have the electrical wiring in mind but if you look there you may find where you may look first.

good hunting :)

and right mel:
    janrbh17 - introduce youself please a little.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    The car has 2 power outputs from the ignition switch to the fuse and relay panel. One runs bank 1-6 and half the car. The other runs bank 7-12 and the other half of the car. One is probably dead.

From memory I recall that the 7-12 bank circuit also runs the dash.

The Motronic power feeds are not fused but all the others are and split off at the panel. I suspect the problem is somewhere from the ignition switch to the fuse and relay panel itself unless you have had a short on one of the Motronic circuts and cooked the entire circuit (I've seen that before).

7. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    Thanks alot for quick replies. What "Rifledriver"/ "turbo-joe" wrote seems interesting...Could fit with the symptoms I think..
    Introduction!? OK; male, 34 years, likes movies and good food and so on :)
    Joke aside; I am a norwegian petrolhead. Also own a lamborghini diablo 6.0. Have had the 512 TR since 2006. The way I remember when I met my fianceè is that I met her 1 day before the differential broke ( read some threads on broken diffs. It`s not only to me that happened, it seems...). Apart from that the 512 has been very good fun. Done 45000 km in it since 2006. Need some TLC. The 512 TR is a much nicer place to be than the Diablo. Will never sell any of them.
    some youtube-videos: search for "janrbh17"
    Will check the things you guys wrote and let you know if I had success!

8. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    Hi again. I have checked the workshop manual and it must be what Rifledriver wrote. Some lights on the dash seems to be powered by the one bank/ side ( probably 1-6 then) and the rest incl. dials are with the other bank.
    I hope it is not the ecu thats broken....
    There is a nice picture/ schematic in the manual but I don`t know how to resize the image so that I can post it here.

9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Have you started with the fuse box to solve your starter problem first? I can't understand why you would hotwire the starter instead of tracking down the low amp 12v circuit that closes the cylinoid. The first problem is the terrible connections Ferrari uses at the fuse box.

It seems like you are on the right track in checking over the wiring diagrams. Have you looked at your connections in the fusebox yet?

Are you getting 12v out of your ignition switch? ( there are 2 outputs...0ne to bank 1-6. The other to 7-12.). If you are not sending power out to both banks then you will not get ignition etc. at this point you would be hot wiring a dead motor.

Can't wait to hear about you progress

10. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    Maybe "hotwire" is the wrong term ( that`s is what thieves do when they steal cars...? - I own my own 512 tr). I use the small wire on the solenoid and put it onto the big wire. It sparks a bit and the starter motor enganges. I tried to put a relay back there once, but it engaged the starter motor continuosly. I noticed that when it got scoldering hot. It sounds different now but functions OK.
    To check the power out of the ignition I can check if I have power on the ECU, right? and If I have the same power on both ECU I will need to take the left one ( 7-12) out and send it to repairs? sounds like a good plan??

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Mi vision: the ECU is NOT damaged ... and can not be repaired also ... If you find one you will pay E 1800 for nothing ...

Start tracking voltage from battery, ignition switch an go two ways then ... it will be not a quick fix ...as ever ... :)

Good luck ...

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    before you send out some to repair you may check first all other things:

power from battery to fuse box
    from fuse box to ignition switch
    from ignition switch back to fusebox

then you will find the mistake, because only there could be something wrong

so you read carefully the electrical diagram and understand how what is working, then you will find the mistake soon

13. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes.....I did assume correctly....you are hot wiring your car!

So let's start at the beginning.

1) the problem was never with your starter. The car sends an enormous amount of current through the very large guage wires from the battery to the starter. (This is properly working)

2) your problem is in the very small guage 12v wire that signals the starter. Since your signal wire is not working you are having to bypass everything and "hotwire" your car.

You need to understand why the signal is not getting from your ignition key back to the starter.

This first problem makes me think that there is a partial concern to cause your second problem....no power at your gauges and ECU.

If you want help, then please climb in the front of your car and snap a few pics of the connectors that are going to your fusebox. There are probably 6 or so harnesses that snap on to your fuse box. Let's make sure these harness and wires are not discolored pointing to a bad connection.

Next, let's look at how the 12v signal comes from the battery to the fusebox .....then to the ignition switch....then back to the started solenoid.

Also, let's look at how the 12v comes from the battery to the fusebox....then to power your gauge cluster.

If you are lucky these pathways will share a common connector or relay that solves both of your problems.

But first ....let me see some pics of your fusebox and harness connectors. Would love to help.

14. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    I will have a friend to look at the electrical system for me. We will check and take pictures. Will post an update beginning of may....
    Thanks for the help o far :)

15. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    May??!!! I want this fixed more than you do! :)

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    better fix today than tomorrow
    because tomorrow there will be the next failure :)

17. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    PS...I see you are in Norway. If I fix your car, can you get me in a flying squirrel suit so that I can fly from one of your mountains? (I really want to do this)

Infact, if you can get me in a squirrel suit I can just come there and fix the car for free (but I should probably fix your car first before I jump off the mountain)

In case you think Im joking.....Im not

18. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    #18 janrbh17, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Hi again!
    My friend came by today and we started to check the voltage around the car. Seemed fine. I had taken the left ECU out the last time and put it back in. The car started and worked fine. But I thought that would only be momentarilly because we hadn`t found anything wrong, so we went ahead and checked the fusebox. All seemed fine but we pulled everything out and had electrical cleaner everywhere. One of the last harnesses we pulled out had 1 pin With discoloration on it. Obviously there had been a bad Connection here, or something. We cleaned it out. After that the car has been working fine. And the car starts everytime at once. No hesitation when I turn the key. Even when warm today it worked fine.
    I don`t know if that harness was the culprit, but I will know that when I drive it some more.

I will try to upload some images....

How do I upload images?? I will try to find out later. At the bottom on the "posting rules" it says (img)code OFF, and HTMLcode OFF.

19. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    #20 janrbh17, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just trying to upload some pictures. This schematic explanes a lot. "1" on the upper left are the 2 ECU`s.
    I have driven the car 2-3 hours today with alot of stops and starts. It fires up instantly now. It had some hesitation before + maybe 50 % of the time it wouldn`t start ( needed to be hotwired to start). I am confident that pulling out everything in the fusebox and putting it back in has fixed the problems. The fuel gauge has been working the last 2 hours now, but wasn`t working at first. We`ll see what happens later....
    Thanks for all the help :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Picture: what connector is that ? Never seen this in my 512TR (never looked 4 it also ...) :) !

Remember, the car is over 20 years old ... we would see the same electrical gremlins / problems in any other car ...

Undo all and put it back ... or spend lots of $$$ on a gold kit :)

21. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    #22 janrbh17, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don`t know what connector it is. I have all the electrical drawings, but I don`t understand them. It`t the small connector on the bottom right next to relay "U"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login