Testarossa Rear Grill | FerrariChat

Testarossa Rear Grill

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jgmblair, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #1 jgmblair, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did a refresh on the rear end this winter looking to replace things back to stock. There is a dogs breakfast of different screw sizes/colors that the po used to put this back together. I borrowed this picture from another thread that does not show the grill. I was hoping to get some feedback for the "correct" fasteners at each point highlighted.

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    All 13mm nuts or bolts from recollection and the outer parts are "phillips" type screws.

Send me your email address and with a bit of luck I can drag a few photos from my collect to send to you.

Phil

3. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #3 302Tim, Apr 20, 2014
    Using my car and several others as reference, including a 171 mile completely original car. That said hardware substitutions were common so finish, size etc. had different variations, so use your best judgement. The testarossa SPC lists very little coachwork hardware, you can find a lot more listed in the 512TR SPC (however some HW was changed between the models). I didn't mark the photos but the first is the grill outer ends,
    the second on the left is grill center mounting, and the second on the right is the engine-side of the HW securing the "net for engine air exhaust".

The four Phillips head screws that secure the ends of the grill had a heavy brush-coat of clear sealer applied after installation (as did side grille HW, exterior door handle screws).

If you order new HW from Ferrari it will most likely come with different plating and/or markings. Some LOBO bolts are available from Newco products.

4. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #4 jgmblair, Apr 20, 2014
    Thanks Tim! I had ordered some new grill pads and received what you have pictured. What came off my car was what you see here, with an expansive piece that fits into the holes on the quarter panel. There were 2 phillips head screws that secured the grill to the panel. I have a late single mirror car 65631, could this have been stock? How do the phillips head screw you pictured get secured to the panel?

Thanks,
    Jeff

5. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall

Great job Tim.

Phil

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #6 302Tim, Apr 20, 2014
    Those screws thread into aluminum Rivnuts that are installed in the coachwork--looks from my photo like they are riveted in. Yours were likely stripped so they installed a plastic anchor and a sheet metal screw--definitely not OEM.

AFAIK the hardware I showed went through the entire testarossa production run and probably with the 512TR as well. You may be able to replace the Rivnuts or you could maybe tap them to a slightly larger size (SAE?) and install a larger screw (depends on wall thickness of Rivnut). You could also carefully deform the threads of the correct screw to increase diameter. Worse case you could place nuts on the screws from inside the engine compartment (if your arms are long/skinny--watch out for the tail lamp bulb holders). Or remove the "rear lower covering" (valence).

If you were really concerned about appearance a competent machine shop could machine some screws with the proper head, larger threads--then have them plated black.

7. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Thank you very much Tim, I will figure something out.

Jeff